HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2014, 07:18 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,077 Posts
That's interesting, as I have one Thunder Power 3300 pack which fits perfectly and 3 generic brand 3200 packs just slightly smaller than the TP pack. All fit like they they were made for it.
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:23 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
The width of the pack (think depth) that's the problem. These hunger packs are 33 and 34 mm in width/depth. The eflite and that particular turnigy pack are 26 and 27 mm. It's no biggie. I ordered some Zippy 3300 4s packs @ 25mm width. They'll fit fine.
HotChaCha is online now Find More Posts by HotChaCha
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:48 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChaCha View Post
The width of the pack (think depth) that's the problem. These hunger packs are 33 and 34 mm in width/depth. The eflite and that particular turnigy pack are 26 and 27 mm. It's no biggie. I ordered some Zippy 3300 4s packs @ 25mm width. They'll fit fine.

I've always used HK Nanotech LiPos but they seem not stock them now.

I can find them in e-bay tho.

Dimensions : 145 x 45 x26 mm
3300 mAh weighs 361 g

STOP PRESS

They are available at UK Warehouse;
4000mAh wt 433g

157(l) x 48(h) x 26 (w)

I assume because of fire hazard, they only transport it by sea and stock them at local warehouses. I find power to weight ration is always higher ( by 25%?) in Nanotech.

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Sep 09, 2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
A few things...

First off...these are the batteries I just received for this plane. they FIT GREAT!
Length= 139 mm, Height = 46 mm, Width = 25 mm. For this plane it's the length and Width which is most important.

I fly with voltage alarms and both fit. Flight times to 3.6 Volts "under load" (for me) is 7 mins 30 secs. Batteries will have a resting voltage of about 3.8.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=58907
These batteries were $16.60 each. Zippy batteries in my opinion are under rated for "C". I track internal resistance. Both batteries were identical for IR @ 11, 05, 04, 04. My much more expensive VENOM and Thunder Power batteries have much higher Internal resistance.

Ok...wanted to share my battery saga

Yesterday in the Rochester NY area it was overcast and quite windy. I won't guess at the speed, but it was windy. I shot landings with the Beaver for 2 batteries. WOW!!! Our club field is a postage stamp with trees around it. No such thing as low and slow, especially if the wind is from the South. I LOVE how flaps slow this plane down!! I've got flap/elevator mix (DX18 w/ "flap system") dialed in with 12% down elevator on first position flap and 19% for 2nd position flap and 3 second deployment speed. No balloon and the plane holds level.

Usually with this type of landing I would deploy 2nd position flap on high final and hold the nose down with a flare at the end. With the wind yesterday as it was, I dove for the field, leveled off past the trees and with the plane about 10 feet off the ground I deployed flaps to 2nd position. The way this plane slows down is so amazing to watch close like that. From that point on with just a little throttle control it lands like a butterfly with sore feet. I do have the 4.5 inch Dubro RV tires on.

I've got a H9 Twin Otter and an e-flite Deuces Wild...I'll be experimenting with that late flap deployment on them also.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:18 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
152 Posts
Right on ChaCha, when it is windy you need speed on final to give control authority. If your mixes are right, as you say, late deployment is by far the safest way to get it down quickly. Our field is massive so it is no problem coming in hot with no flaps and then just let it run out, power comes off only when ground effect is established 30cm off the ground. Love these planes, so flexible with many many flight characteristics to explore and learn about.
RCFlyingKiwi is online now Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Last edited by RCFlyingKiwi; Sep 11, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Hi, landing question. I have just start to fly the beaver and I have to say that it is very jumpy on the landing. I am running with the power32 and have a thought of changing the wheels to something softer that will use also as shock observer.

Any inputs?

Thx,

Udi
ugavish is offline Find More Posts by ugavish
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,942 Posts
Hi Udi,
The Beaver has a huge wing, and is a great slow speed aircraft. Because it's able to stay airborne at very slow speeds, you really need to slow it down quite a bit before letting the landing gear touch the ground. It seems like you might have a bit too much speed on your landings, which would account for the beaver bouncing back into the air.

Perhaps try this. Fly your normal landing approach (hopefully with lots of flaps and partial throttle), flare a few feet (~1m) off the ground, pull the throttle back to zero, and then hold the beaver in ground effect (approx 6inches/16cm off the ground) until it gently settles to the runway. By doing this, you'll hold the plane off the ground until the wings loose the lift they need to keep the plane in the sky, and you won't have any more big bounces into the air.
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
Joined Jun 2008
152 Posts
Got to agree with Josh, landing the Beaver properly requires quite a bit of skill in the final meter to make it look good. In my landing mode (on the radio) I go to a nose down trim requiring a bit of back pressure on the stick, this seems to make it easier to manage the ground effect and final flare. Don't know why, no logic in it but it kind of works for my thumb anyway. May have something to do work motor skill training, easier to adjust back pressure than initiate it. Ever had a maiden where you need a ton of down elevator ? Very unnatural and uncomfortable yet the opposite, holding in up elevator is fine. Strange !!!
Last edited by RCFlyingKiwi; Yesterday at 09:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined May 2007
56 Posts
Don't try to land at too slow a speed or you will get the dreaded tip stall.
lesbaron is offline Find More Posts by lesbaron
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
One more flight...
Joined Jan 2010
929 Posts
I decided to pick up my second one of these tonight ... Since I still have the electronics from the previous one. Hopefully this one lives longer
CashD is online now Find More Posts by CashD
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
152 Posts
Great decision Cash, good luck !!! Remember air speed is your friend.
Old Today, 09:36 AM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for the answers regarding the jumpy landing . I saw in this forum and in YouTube people that change the wheels to the DuBro RV450. This is air pump wheel, I think it look nice on the plane but have no idea on the behavior of the plane during the flights, take off and landing. Do you have any inputs for that?
ugavish is offline Find More Posts by ugavish
Old Today, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
I've got the Dubro RV450s on my Beaver. The plane doesn't notice the additional weight. I only flew with the stock wheels once and didnt have an issue with a bouncy landing on a short grass field. The Dubro 450s just plain look GREAT!
RCG Plus Member