SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2007, 01:33 PM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
United States, CA, Hilmar-Irwin
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Build Log
F-106A Delta Dart Park Jet

I'm starting this build thread on request of a couple of fellow 106 enthusiasts that caught a glimpse of my project SIX in a picture posting on the F-100 Park Jet thread. Initially, work started on this project over two years ago after building a jetset44 F-15. After the 15, I went in search of F-106 foamie plans, but none were to be found at the time. Later on, I believe it was starcad who designed and built a very nice version of the 106, but for fast build simplicity, he decided to leave out some details that I wanted in my plane.

The jetset design and building technique had amazed me with its simplicity so I thought that possibly even I could, borrowing his design techniques, build a plane that captured the lines of the SIX and looked close enough for a park jet. Starting with a 1/48 scale model, calipers and some butcher paper I set out measuring and drawing. The concept plane you see in the first pictures are what I came up with in early 05. Shortly after, I took an overseas assignment to Italy and the 106 parts were subsequently relegated to a WalMart shopping bag.

Fast forward to Nov 30, 2007. I rediscovered the bag of 106 foam and decided to yank it out and tack it together with tape and glue gun. After tacking it together and making some changes I took it apart to start building part templates. I completed cutting the entire template plane and then started looking into where improvements could be made. The first thing I noticed was the lack of accuracy in my templates. Well, I decided it was now time for me to make friends with TurboCAD so I can produce accurate plans and part templates. CAD is a steep learning curve for me but I am making headway. Now that all that is out of the way...

My goal is to attempt to build a plane that resembles and displays most of the design characteristics of the F-106A. Because of the box type building technique allowances will be made. All comments and suggestions are wecome.

Rod
DeltaDart is offline Find More Posts by DeltaDart
Last edited by DeltaDart; Dec 04, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2007, 01:58 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,096 Posts
Thatīs a great start, Rod!
Good Luck! Here is some more SIX-Inspiration.
The airframe and profile is looking FAST!

HJ

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/

misc photos
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Last edited by Hans-Joachim; Dec 03, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2007, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration HJ! Being that this is the first thread I ever started as well as the first plane I've ever designed I'm going to need all the help and inspiration I can get.

I'm still drooling over that portable "SIX" pack...

Rod
Old Dec 03, 2007, 09:01 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Signing on to the thread.

Back in the early 70's I was Stationed at KI Sawyer AFB, a SAC base in Northern Michigan. We had a few 106's that flew as interceptors. Here's the unit patch. I have a few pics of the jets, but I'll be darned if I can find them right now
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Last edited by RCParkflyer; Dec 03, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2007, 09:58 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
739 Posts
They have one up at the Alaska museum of transportation. I took a detour up there after a fishing trip a few years back. What struck me was the amazingly thin wing section. nice subject!

They also have an incredible collection of outboard motors and chainsaws from every era.---- Not kidding.

Cheers
DesignGeek is online now Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flight testing Specter V3
Old Dec 04, 2007, 02:00 AM
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCParkflyer
Signing on to the thread.

Back in the early 70's I was Stationed at KI Sawyer AFB, a SAC base in Northern Michigan. We had a few 106's that flew as interceptors. Here's the unit patch. I have a few pics of the jets, but I'll be darned if I can find them right now
Were you assigned to the 87th FIS? I was at Castle AFB with the 84th and later attached to the 318th Det 1 when our unit was deactivated. Castle was a SAC base as well and home of the 93rd Bomb wing (B-52G's) and KC-135 refueling squadrons.

At the time, SAC was still suffering from a left over LeMay syndome and generally despised us ADC guys because of our more relaxed way of doing business, such as, (gasp) no requirement to salute inside our squadron area, and the air crews really hated the distinctive orange flight suits our pilots wore. They felt Air Defense Comand was more of a club than a Command. SAC trained warriors....humpf (edit: no offense to any old SAC weenies that may be viewing.. )

Anyway, dig up your pictures and post them when you get a chance.

Now, as far as my build goes, work is moving forward on the CAD plans and I should have something to post on that sometime soon. Additionally, I have decided to build what I've called the concept/prototype plane, its done its job. Its a butchered mess but I believe it may help me sort out some of the problems I haven't seen yet. I will continue to improve the template plane that was built off of the prototype as well. When the CAD drawings are done we'll see how well I did on that when I start cutting.

Rod
Last edited by DeltaDart; Dec 04, 2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 09:30 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
hmm looking good ....i need more info on the Red "Six" ....dang these are sweet .I used to whatch the 106 fly chase for the B-1's flying from plamdale ...when the burner kicks in that is too sweet...Bam! burner is lit
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 04, 2007, 10:06 AM
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
hmm looking good ....i need more info on the Red "Six" ....dang these are sweet .I used to whatch the 106 fly chase for the B-1's flying from plamdale ...when the burner kicks in that is too sweet...Bam! burner is lit
I have a picture of the Chase B model that was at the Castle air show in 91. And yes, the hard light on the J-75 AB was awesome, especially on three and four ship take-offs. Check out "Pats World of the F-106" and you can hear the SIX going into burner. Its sounds good but still doesn't do it justice if you've heard it in person. There's a ton of SIX related stuff on his site.

Cheers,

Rod
Old Dec 04, 2007, 11:52 AM
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Okay, lots of work done today on the prototype and I'm happy to report some improvements have been made. If you review the earlier pictures you can see that I initially started to build the intakes as a squared off, butt jointed setup. Well, it looks okay but not as good as it could look.

Then I remembered (I do that sometimes) a thread that I think Thomas Nelson did on bending and shaping FFF. Well I'm happy to say that my prototype aft fuselage section looks much better than the original box type. Its just tacked on for now and there is more tweaking to do but in the end, the intakes and aft fuselage should look very close to the lines on the real acft.
Well, without further ado, here's the build pictures from today.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 06:51 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,501 Posts
She's coming along nicely, Rod. Don't forget to unwrap that receiver antenna before you button it completely up. I did that once a long long time ago on a EAA bipe glo fuel plane. She flew well but not for very long.

T
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Dec 04, 2007, 06:52 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Hi Rod,
No, I wasn't assigned to the 87th. I had one of those "cushy" indoor jobs, working the receiving dock at base supply.

Tom
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Dec 04, 2007, 07:12 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,347 Posts
Nice progress.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 04, 2007, 09:23 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
I've been looking for just that model too. Great job so far! I'll be watching your progress. I hope you will post the plans when you get it all finalized. :-)
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:35 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Whoa, great work so far DeltaDart! And a great subject. The F-106 was on my list to do some day, but I'm glad to see you've taken it on and are doing it justice.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Dec 05, 2007, 04:32 AM
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Whoa, great work so far DeltaDart! And a great subject. The F-106 was on my list to do some day, but I'm glad to see you've taken it on and are doing it justice.

Steve
Thank you Steve, but do a struggling foam hack a favor and put this plane back on your to do list.. I would love to see and fly your finished product. I was looking at your SU-37 yesterday,what a beautiful jet.