HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
steeped up to a 12x8 xoar prop today, and man did she really wake up, i am now certainly getting speed level in the 120's. i did have two deadstick landing because my 110 esc was going into thermal, also because my cheapo batteries couldnt hold there voltage. i will swap my esc out for a 125 and see what kind of speeds i get.

i have an extra rimfire 46. on hand. and since this motor doesnt really seem to heat up with this many watts/amp, my calculations show that she may handle 7s on a smaller prop...i will bench test and get some data
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
looking at the stats for the rimfire .46

Max. Constant Current: 60A
Max. Surge Current: 100A
Max. Constant Watts: 1110W
Burst Watts: 1850W

It's clear that WOT for long periods with these set ups is to be avoided.

Looking on the Great Planes website, they recommended a stock prop of 11 x 5.5E

Has anyone actually flown with the stock prop? I'm interested to hear how many watts it pulls and what sort of speed you can expect? Just curious as might be a nice way to ease a first time flyer into this model who doesn't want to jump straight into mach 3 Or does it fly like a dog with this prop?
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
hmmmmmm

Same setup on mine 123MPH straight and level. You dont want to go smaller. Your next step should be a bigger esc 125ish and a 12x10 prop. you should get 130's like me..... just short bursts as you WILL cook that motor. Also did you notice that it does NOT slow down on landing with these small props!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
steeped up to a 12x8 xoar prop today, and man did she really wake up, i am now certainly getting speed level in the 120's. i did have two deadstick landing because my 110 esc was going into thermal, also because my cheapo batteries couldnt hold there voltage. i will swap my esc out for a 125 and see what kind of speeds i get.

i have an extra rimfire 46. on hand. and since this motor doesnt really seem to heat up with this many watts/amp, my calculations show that she may handle 7s on a smaller prop...i will bench test and get some data
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
no

11x5 is too small. id do at least 12x6, maybe 13x8 to start. PS, I have 2 of these, ones for sale. great shap,e rimfire motor aftermarket dubro gear.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
looking at the stats for the rimfire .46

Max. Constant Current: 60A
Max. Surge Current: 100A
Max. Constant Watts: 1110W
Burst Watts: 1850W

It's clear that WOT for long periods with these set ups is to be avoided.

Looking on the Great Planes website, they recommended a stock prop of 11 x 5.5E

Has anyone actually flown with the stock prop? I'm interested to hear how many watts it pulls and what sort of speed you can expect? Just curious as might be a nice way to ease a first time flyer into this model who doesn't want to jump straight into mach 3 Or does it fly like a dog with this prop?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Great Planes 59' Revolver high speeds runs and inverted flight (5 min 56 sec)

for a speed noob like me, this looks plenty fast enough on a 11X5.5 prop. Quite noisy though.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Not my point, on a 11x5 your not getting the trust you need as a beginner. Much better to go with a 12x6 to start. Also the larger diam prop will slow you down ESP carrying the weight of 6s. Don't worry about speed get used to the weight and hotter than avg. landing speeds first. Rimfire 46 on a 12x6 with a 100 amp esc and your fine.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:08 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
ok cheers . Am I right in thinking another option would be to get a lower KV motor, which would allow me to prop up without the additional amps? I guess I am limited in prop size based on UC clearance.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,378 Posts
You could also prop up now and run it on 5s or even 4s. That motor will turn a 13x8 very nicely on 4s and should also be able to step up to a 5s later with the same prop using some throttle management. This won't give blazing speed but will provide plenty of thrust to fly the plane, allowing you to get used to it before stepping up to a heavier, faster 6s setup.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
Hidaven is right!
Much better with the Rimfire 46 is the 12x6E with a 100a ESC on 6s (I run a 3300 65c 6s). The tips will go supersonic on a flyby (screaming sound when the prop is at 90 degrees to you).

Then, when you are used to that, put on an 11x8E. The thing will gain large MPH!!! But the prop will no longer be supersonic...

The 12x6 also has better vertical.

Have fun!
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:15 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akent View Post
Hidaven is right!
(I run a 3300 65c 6s).
Kent

what duration flights are you getting with the 3300 setup? Appreciate this is a lighter setup than the 5000 others are using.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:15 AM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
what duration flights are you getting with the 3300 setup? Appreciate this is a lighter setup than the 5000 others are using.
I have the timer set to 6 minutes. I generally do a few wide open passes, but mostly fly patterns at half throttle or so.
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I'm on a 6s5000 and getting a full 8 min. Rather have the extra time and sacrifice weight. Work your way up to the 11 diam. Prop as it will come in hot. Almost crashed mine a few times starting out with the 11x8 prop. It just does NOT want to slow up. If you start with the 13x6 or 12x6 you can feel your way up to the 11x6
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
I'm on a 6s5000 and getting a full 8 min. Rather have the extra time and sacrifice weight. Work your way up to the 11 diam. Prop as it will come in hot. Almost crashed mine a few times starting out with the 11x8 prop. It just does NOT want to slow up. If you start with the 13x6 or 12x6 you can feel your way up to the 11x6

thanks. Are you running with motor break on or off? Do you use flapperons for landing to slow it up? Would be great to add some kinda air brake system
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Nooooooo Brake. Windmilling prop will help slow it down. Stay away from flaperons as well. Spoilerons are better but you really dont need either if you have a decent sized field. My revolver is a bit on the heavy side combined with the 11x8 prop it comes in fairly hot. Also takes more to get airborne as well. But........once that prop gets spinning that plane will move out fast! Frame can take it as well.......
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:23 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Ok. I'm buying one of those heli 880kv motors to try out. That looks and sounds way to fun not to try.
gewiens is online now Find More Posts by gewiens