HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:12 AM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
604 Posts
Question
Slow Lipo charging.

I'm running into a problem with charging lipo's safely vs my productivity during the day. Let me explain and see if anyone has a solution.

My farming schedule doesn't really allow for me to be in one place consistently enough to charge my batteries right before use like most people do to get in a flight on my lunch break.

What would really work the best is for me to slow charge overnight (like a cell phone) grab them on the way out the door in the morning and have them ready to go. However this violates all the only charge while supervised rules.

Is there any way to do a safe, simple, slow overnight charge while unsupervised?

My main battery size is 3s 1300mah
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:44 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
649 Posts
It can be done. There are risks that must be mitigated.
First and foremost, a reliable, accurate charger with the "right stuff",
Which includes temperature monitoring, balancing, and the needed current.

Then a location that is "safe", in the event of untoward events.
Finally, some way to contain the lipo if it happens to go up in a cloud of smoke and so forth.
Since the charger's battery leads are usually fairly short, you may need to add extensions to the balance and charge leads.

Recently, I bought a metal cabinet that is intended for use as either lipo storage or charging.
To use it, sufficient vents with flame arrest and insulating material between the cabinet and any adjacent flammable surfaces is needed.

I have 36" balance extensions and the materials to make an extended length charging cable.
The charger I intend to use is capable of 40A, and the manual strongly recommends that fuses be a part of the charging leads.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:41 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
Place your LiPos on a non-flammable surface, and cover them with a fire blanket with some weights on the sides. Perfectly safe. Put a smoke alarm over your charge station though.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:16 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,162 Posts
Why not charge Your LiPo rather quickly in the evening so they are fully charged while stored in a firesafe place (pot or LiPo box or LiPo sack) during the night?

When I know I'm going to fly next morning I many times charge in evening and then store them during the night in my LiPo safe box http://www.robbe.de/lipo-tresor.html..._from_store=de in the garage on the concrete floor.

Ideal situation is to have the LiPo storage charged (around 60% capacity left in the LiPo) until just before You want to use them and charge them rather close in time before usage. I really do not think it matters that much as far as LiPo life time is concerned to have them stored over night fully charged.

Maybe any LiPo expert out there can tell more of such treatment.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:48 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
604 Posts
A safe place to charge isn't a problem, I have a 40x80 shop with a dirt floor. Nothing is gonna burn in there. I could do a fast charge last thing in the evening and leave them full all night I suppose. I was under the impression that wasn't a good thing to do however.

While a 1c charge isn't stressful on a battery, would a 0.1 amp charge over a long period of time prolong battery life even longer? Or is it pointless to go to that trouble?
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2014, 04:49 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
This is just the way I charge my packs, slowly over night. Mine last the longest in my club. If you have a safe place with nothing flammable, that's perfect for unattended charging. I would cover them with a fire blanked though, as popping cells can propel the pack a little distance.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez