SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:20 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Mini-Review
Beta building a Park Scale Models Whim A6M Zero

A while back Zeke designed a birdcage Corsair. I built one of these and had loads of fun flying it. I was speaking to Zeke and said it needed something to dogfight with. What better than it's rival the Zero as the Corsair seen more action in the Pacific theatre during WWII.
Zeke did the design for the Zero a while ago but after building the prototype it sat there without electronics in it for a while. He was convinced to finally get the plane flying not too long ago and I offered to do a beta build/ review of the plane.
Since I have my own laser he sent me the file so I could cut my own kit. This morning I woke early and decided since everyone else was asleep I might as well load up the laser and cut myself a kit.
I would like to mention that along with the design of the plane he has also created a pre-cut covering option. I will be using this on mine as well. I will go for the standard white naval scheme with the meatballs.
Fit of the parts is nice and snug and the octagon fuse shape lends it a look of being what one would call semi-scale/ standoff scale. The under camber wing is great for slow flight and full length ailerons will give great authority. The original design was for R/E/A/T but after Zeke flying his prototype he has decided on E/A/T. This helps to both keep weight reduced but also the rudder really isn't needed. Therefore mine will get built sans the rudder.
I have started the building of the fuse and have some pictures I need to offload from my camera to post to the thread. This will use the same standard power system that Zeke uses in all his Whim series planes. a pair of 4 gram servo's, an 8 amp esc, a 10 gram 1811 motor and 5x4.3 prop on 2s.
So far the assembly of the fuse has gone together without any issues. If I get really ambitious after doing the testing I may add the float and sponsons and make this into a Rufe but time will tell. I know that it would need a rudder for that. So tomorrow morning I will post pictures of the fuse assembly and more of the process of the build.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:55 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Finished

I didn't keep up with taking pictures that much as I got into the build. I deviated from what I was supposed to do and went ahead with using the rudder. I went through my motor options and the 10 gram out runners this should have had were both burned out. Because of this my only option was to put in a eFlite park 300 with a GWS 5X3X3 prop I turned this with a 3S1000 pack and after 6 minutes of flight we used 40%. Now it needs to be noted here that this plane came in at twice the weight it should have. I came in at 7.5 ounces where it should have been only around 3.5. Knowing I was adding more nose weight I decided to cut my horizontal as well as the vert and rudder from 2 1/32 ply. This ended up being more tail weight than needed. My choice of scheme for this was the bright silver from Hobby King for the brushed aluminum look. I then added the stars and bars as well as USAF and numbering. This would have been the same they would have done after the war on captured planes for testing. When testing sometimes I go overboard to test the limits and add weight that shouldn't be there. This wasn't intentionally done in the start of the project however as you will see the plane can handle the extra weight with no issues. Here are a few progress pictures. I will try to upload the flight video and post it here as well
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:15 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Video uploaded to YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFGlCimniE

After trimming sorry for the crappy iPhone video
Last edited by CapMike; Jul 22, 2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: fixed privacy of video