SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 06, 2013, 05:04 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
New Product
HobbyKing Plug N Play Aircraft Engine Sound Module System

Was able to get in and order one of these from the first batch of HK sound modules, looks like they sold out pretty quickly. Hoping to have this thread as a collection of possible mods for this module so please contribute, the good, the bad and the ugly!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=37318

Includes:
Module
Speaker
Y-Lead
Speaker Lead
XT 60 Converter/Power Lead
ESC to Module Converter Lead

Specs Module:
Working Voltage: 10v~17v
Weight: 42g
Dimensions: 74mm x 22mm x 34mm

Specs Speaker:
Rated Power: 15w
Frequency Response: 200~8000hz
Rated Impedance: 8 ohm
Harmonic Distortion: 3%~5% TMD
Sensitivity: 86~87db/W
Weight: 118g
Volume (max): 60db

r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by r0beert0; Jun 06, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Already on backorder. and wanted to order .. Someone knows where you can buy or do something like that?
Burakko is offline Find More Posts by Burakko
Old Jul 03, 2013, 03:22 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
These back in stock the day after I bought the machine gun sounds for a laugh. Have not got a clue how to connect it all up. Typical from China no explanations or instructions and half of what the write doesn't make sense

There was a thread I was gonna post in but it's been closed
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jul 03, 2013, 03:52 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
673 Posts
Well I finally got a chance to test run this unit on a slow stick that used for testing powered off a 3s 1800mah... it sounds good on the ground but on RTO at 30-40 ft and and just a few ft off the ground the audio quickly faded out and was only audible on low overhead passes. Yeah the 60db max doesn't help but my theory to the lack of audio in the air is that the speaker is out in the open and not in a fuse to act as a "speaker box".

I opened the module up to see if there was a volume adjustment and there is none, also unless you're some sort of programmer and are able to hack in to the circuit board there is no way to mod the audio. Putting this on the back burner for now as I got a couple other projects to get to, I may come back to this and test on a balsa model (Ultra Stick 25e) and see if the fuse improves the audio.

Hopefully someone comes up with a mod to increase audio output, so please share with the rest.

Thanks!
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV + McLaren P1 = HELLA FUN
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:59 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,590 Posts
I have one sitting in a order (something else is back-ordered) - but just saw the MrRcSound unit. Claims 95db but costs 4x the price.

As I won't be receiving mine for a while, really interested in any feedback of how loud this is if the speaker is 'exposed' in the fuselage on a flyby.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Last edited by idletime; Jul 04, 2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Fitted the machine gun module last wk on my PZ t28 as that seemed the easiest to test in, I fitted the speaker in the cowel, sounds pretty poor to be honest but what to expect with cheap stuff, couldn't really hear it on the overhead passes unless I cut the throttle then it was clearly audible, today I tries to make it a little louder and did this..

Dr mad machine gun module (0 min 42 sec)

Just the lights to rig up see what they're like

Rod
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
I had pretty low expectations, but would you mind posting a video anyway? I would like to hear it

I imagine the sound gets washed out by the prop
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
That link should work, will try get a vid of it on the air nxt time I'm out. Maybe the speaker could be changed for a better one with a deeper tone
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
I did not even see the link; thanks!

Your link is to Dr. Mad Machine Gun module? Thats it, thank you!

The sound is pretty bad, but it can cost some serious bucks for one of the other sound modules.

I heard this guy's at SEFF (link below), he really had some great sound on his electric ships and I have been considering one for my giant Cub. My only hesitation is cost: http://www.modelsoundsinc.com
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:32 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Yeah it sounds very "tinny" it needs more grunt to it, I did come across a link on utube that sounds awesome and on the same plane too, I'm not bothered about this plane I've put it in as I chuck this about and don't care if it crashes lol I deffo would not put it in any of my others.

This one sounds awesome

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=0H_cpLon5QE
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:45 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
These type of units need a speaker box or cone encapsulating the speaker.

The output speaker for the motor sound unit should not be placed right behind or under the motor as it will definitely get washed out.
You want to place the speakers at least 6" away from the prop.
Most people put the speakers in the wing or on the belly.

Here is a hellcat with the machine gun unit fitted:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...12026ae067c481

Motor sound unit....this video demonstrates it on only 3s. A 4s will make it louder plus the addition of a speaker box enclosure will help.
HobbyKing Daily - HK Sound Module System (2 min 42 sec)

For larger planes, you might consider installing two of these in the same plane. Cost wise....its still 1/4 the price of some other units. Granted, the bendini and MrRCsound units are rally good, but for a larger plane....$219 is rather high but does do a better job and has amplifiers. That's one idea though is to put an amp inline between the speaker and the sound unit on this hobbyking module.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:42 PM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,149 Posts
Here is video of my PZ Wildcat with HK DR Mad Thrust gun sound and light module.
I changed LED's to 3mm bright white, and placed speaker in the tail section, close behind cockpit. sound is coming out of the vent hole, and whole plane works as a speaker box (resonator)

Parkzone wildcat guns (0 min 7 sec)

It actually sounds good, and I can hear it from 100-150 ft, as long as there is no gassers flying.

Speaker placement is the key! It can not be flat against something, since speaker membrane can be hitting, and sound level will decrease.

I also put two of these in 60 size 47. It has one sound module and one speaker per wing. (Picture below). Since picture was taken I cut out rectangle holes, where ammo shells would fall out in full size plane.
Wooden wing is great resonator, and it sounds louder than Wildcat, and little deeper too.
i'll post video at some point.
scoobiemario is offline Find More Posts by scoobiemario
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:42 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,693 Posts
Orange or yellow LEDs for guns would look great. (or warm white)
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member