HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:30 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
Discussion
Incredible OSD with scale-like glass cockpit HUD!

I stumbled upon this gem of a youtube channel!

Look like this guy has been developing this on his own. All the comments on all the videos are "WOW what OSD is this? I want one!" Sure we'd all like one! However, he never answers anyone questions (trying to keep stealthy probably) but WTH these videos are over three years old. Anyone know anything about this, seen it before?

The only information he (Randy) gives:
"Well if you say so I guess it I might have the most powerful display processing. My HUD has 64MB of ram and while I could run 24 bit color I am actually using 15 bit graphics direct color with 1 alpha bit that references an 8 bit alpha layer on a pixel by pixel basis. I am running a full 720 X 480 video and graphics frame buffer. All color graphics generation, alpha blending, line drawing, video overlay etc. is entirely handled in hardware in real-time by a single chip."

This is exactly what I'm looking for in an OSD, kick it up a notch here OSD developers, or I will!

Kimberlys First Flight (9 min 47 sec)
aviatorgeek is offline Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Last edited by aviatorgeek; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:26 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,422 Posts
Not exactly! We all don't want most of the view looking like an arcade game. Some of us only want to see necessary information.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:47 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
Hmm, guess full scale flying with a Garmin cockpit is an arcade game...

Color graphics is the deal here
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:06 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
I think that is an ground based OSD, overlaying the information using a computer, ie not sent using video link.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
In some of the video comments he says its all on board. Would like to know what micro controller he is using to overlay.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:50 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorgeek View Post
Hmm, guess full scale flying with a Garmin cockpit is an arcade game...

Color graphics is the deal here
A Garmin screen on the panel isn't blocking your vision out of the windshield. Heads up information is great for showing necessary data for flight but only for that purpose.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:56 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
A Garmin screen on the panel isn't blocking your vision out of the windshield. Heads up information is great for showing necessary data for flight but only for that purpose.
plenty of fighters with HUDs on board also. Planes whose pilots must have maximal awareness of all around them and the flight data. Of course they can also look through the side windows, HUD free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD_mUwzpUs4

some of the latest garmin glass cockpit can do full on rendered flight-sim view. Could fly the plane by the glass like an FPV sim game.

But for FPV, there sure are times when it is nicer to have an uncluttered screen. I find landing at night I will click to either no OSD or minimal OSD for landing so i can concentrate on the minimal ground visuals - have the OSD toggle on a switch.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:48 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
The thing is that I remember this exact layout from quite long ago so it's not new. Also I will remain very sceptical unless other info is revealed...
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:12 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
plenty of fighters with HUDs on board also. Planes whose pilots must have maximal awareness of all around them and the flight data. Of course they can also look through the side windows, HUD free.
Yes they do but we are not talking about fighters jets instead we are talking about little foam model planes. Some people love it perhaps from their video game background but not even licensed pilots fly around looking through a maze of data on the windscreen. It can work to have the critical on the screen but thats a tiny amount of the total. I use the RVOSD which imo is the best on the market and use the least possible overlay and It is all turned off when I would rather see what I'm doing.
No one size fits all however but I doubt that another new OSD with more data on the screen is going to find much consumer demand.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
I think that is an ground based OSD, overlaying the information using a computer, ie not sent using video link.
Without knowing this guy's setup, I would tend to agree with you. I've Been doing some research on the 433mhz transmitters and sending the telemetry data to the ground, then doing the video overlay there seems to be the wave of the future.

P.S. Add to that developments with the Raspberry PI and the skies are the only limits.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Last edited by rimshotcopter; Jan 06, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
While reading all the postings I too though about the Raspberry PI. It's small enough to be carried on-board and powerful enough to process all the needed code.

BTW, HUD on full size planes doesn't take up all the real-estate as it does in the video. It only takes a small portion from the forward looking view and you can focus out the window and you almost don't see it. To see it you have to focus on it. By definition you can't really do it with an OSD.
TigerPilot is offline Find More Posts by TigerPilot
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:54 AM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
HA! Love the pilots here...

"I don't want efficient, quick delivery of my critical information"
"I don't want flashing colors or audio prompts to alert me of a condition"
"I don't want increased situational awareness"
"All this info makes it look like a video game"

Who here has actually flown full scale? I have few hundred hour myself (PP/IR) and I want all those things. It's not a video game when your life is in your own hands. Spend a few minutes in front of a glass-cockpit. You'll see we already have all this "clutter" in the our cockpits. I'm sure Garmin has spent their fair share of $$ on design and layout of their glass systems. When you're flying IMC solo you need to be able to glance at your screen and quickly ascertain your situation and stay ahead of the airplane. COLOR has alot to do with the human eye easily making out displayed objects.
Last edited by aviatorgeek; Jan 06, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
I think this depends on your FPV style. Some people like to fly around watching the landscape, for those, having an intrusive HUD is a no go.
Other people flight more on a goal oriented flight, either flying to certain point(s), getting the maximum range or altitude, flying times or any other flight experiments. Maybe they simple love to have complete situation awareness. An intermediate solution is the ability to toggle the HUD OFF, so you can use it when needed.
Making a color OSD is possible. However the processing power and complexity of the circuits makes them not practical at this moment, IMHO.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:23 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
I think this depends on your FPV style. Some people like to fly around watching the landscape, for those, having an intrusive HUD is a no go.
Other people flight more on a goal oriented flight, either flying to certain point(s), getting the maximum range or altitude, flying times or any other flight experiments. Maybe they simple love to have complete situation awareness. An intermediate solution is the ability to toggle the HUD OFF, so you can use it when needed.
Making a color OSD is possible. However the processing power and complexity of the circuits makes them not practical at this moment, IMHO.
+1, for some folks, the fun is in the doing as in why climb a mountain?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:28 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
HA aviatorgeek, I guess you don't have a clue regarding our experiences and level of knowledge. Interesting how some ppl are so quick to dismiss others and guess thier own knowledge to be superior... HA right back at ya!

Also since you bring up full scale, color is indeed an efficient way for visual indication but in highly stressed situations most ppl loose a some of their color sight making these systems very difficult to design correctly.

In FPV I do want gadgets in some models and in other I don't. I guess it depends on what we want to get out of our FPV hobby and our level of experience. Btw, how much FPV-experience have you got?