SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:37 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallfer View Post
What do you mean-tx in default condition? What is refered too towards the end of the manual? Tried that too and the ele/rud move the wrong way when tested. I have no mixes and no reverse in any channel. Not Eflite servos and the manual says no reverse on any servo--confusing, but you're saying reverse them and try that? Thanks for the help guys!
I presume you have the CUB PKZ6875
Y/N?
I presume you have a 635 purchased as separate item.
Y/N?
I saw the tx picture-- you are using this?
Y/N?
A 635 -as it comes from factory has a default setting -and unless something has changed - these are all the same
However -Some 635, are programmed differently when installed in PNP models!!
Unless Horizon has made changes -- returning a 635 to DEFAULT, will set the 635 AS3X to operate in same manner as it is in the Visionaire.
Here is where things get sticky
The mounting of the 635 -changes relative rudd/ail/elev RESPONSE.
changing end for end or face down changes responses
First - assuming yes to above queries, you must install elev/rudd and ail into respective rx slots
also, retract channel in tx must operate as does a Spektrum tx.
With all plugged in -- does the tx operate each axis in proper direction if tx is set to normal servo direction.?
STOP
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:06 PM
ONEHANDRC
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
I presume you have the CUB PKZ6875
Y/N? No, actually in a mini ultra stick.
I presume you have a 635 purchased as separate item.
Y/N? Yes
I saw the tx picture-- you are using this?
Y/N? Yes
A 635 -as it comes from factory has a default setting -and unless something has changed - these are all the same
However -Some 635, are programmed differently when installed in PNP models!!
Unless Horizon has made changes -- returning a 635 to DEFAULT, will set the 635 AS3X to operate in same manner as it is in the Visionaire. Tried this, but will try again. Have been trying to set the plane up in sport mode and following instructions from there.
Here is where things get sticky
The mounting of the 635 -changes relative rudd/ail/elev RESPONSE.
changing end for end or face down changes responses
First - assuming yes to above queries, you must install elev/rudd and ail into respective rx slots Yes did this in my Tx as I can assign channels wherever I want them.
also, retract channel in tx must operate as does a Spektrum tx. Yes, Ch 5
With all plugged in -- does the tx operate each axis in proper direction if tx is set to normal servo direction.? Yes, can set throws and direction.
STOP
Please proceed
gallfer is online now Find More Posts by gallfer
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,877 Posts
by YES, you mean the tx set to normal throw directions , causes correct servo rotation for each axis?
also if you hold elevator full UP and move fifth channel switch, does the elevator throw change?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:42 PM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
by YES, you mean the tx set to normal throw directions , causes correct servo rotation for each axis?
also if you hold elevator full UP and move fifth channel switch, does the elevator throw change?
All channels set to normal, I can adjust the direction of servo travel when programming the Tx. So if in normal up command gives down ele I move my stick till up is up. Haven't checked the elev movement when switching Ch 5, will try it this evening.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:56 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,877 Posts
change each servo direction in tx till servos all move proper direction with stick commands.
record which servos require reversing -very important!
also the throttle switch must be tested for a full, normal servo throw
mark tx case for center of the servo throw, using this switch
I am again assuming your throttle switch has same pot travel and center as a Spektrum stick
throttle trim centered too
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:08 PM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
None require reversing. They are all set on normal with correct direction of travel. Not sure I understand what you're getting at.
It's possible I'm not at exact center on the Tht but it's close
Old Jul 18, 2014, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,877 Posts
If all that is so - it makes things much easier
Does the retract switch cause the elevator to change available throw ,when you switch it?
If so - this means the rx is working correctly and it is in the default (factory ) setting and rx is NOT in SPORT mode
Now-I also presume you have placed the rx in the model with antenna at front and servo plugs aft.
IF the label is facing the belly of the model, and the rx is in default (no changes in programming ) and servos do not require reversing to work with tx sticks-- The gains should be correct an selectable for high and low (3D and general) by changing the retract switch position.
you will not see gains at work till you blip throttle to about 25% and back to idle ( remove prop before doing these tests!
then shake tests should show AS3X operating.
I have installed stock 635 rx in a half dozen models with NO rx changes
BUT the models all had to have normal servo travel and no reversed travel servos
In all cases the label was facing down.
IF rx is turned face up -- gain will be incorrect -as if the model was flying upside down
Horizon felt this approach was too confining in the use of the rx and so they wrote instructions to show how to set gains If the rx were to be mounted in one of 4 different positions.
If you have all this working - we will go to a step by step procedure to enter the gain programming and recognize when each step has been accomplished
Last edited by richard hanson; Jul 18, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:32 PM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Reset Rx to default.
Retract swt does not change the amount of ele movement.
Rx is label up, pins to the rear. Inverted the RX, sensors move in the correct direction. But of course I can't see the LEDs.

Edit! Sorry for the delayed responce. Friday is take the wife (who gives me no grief on RC toys) to dinner nite.
Last edited by gallfer; Jul 18, 2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:31 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,877 Posts
Try this:
put a spare servo in retract (5 ) port of rx - see if switching tx ch 5 operates the servo
In default SPORT mode, actuating ch 5 does not make elev change throws but ch 5 servo moves
The rx is shipped, in 3D mode and the elev low high throw should have worked
we are not thru with the tests --------
I am trying to prove that the rx is operating as intended or if there is a contributing problem
I understand the lights can't be seen in this mounting position-
for this reason I do all setups with rx not mounted - just held in fingers above mounting position- the shake test is MUCH easier done in this manner
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:40 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Gino,
You have the same thing we have. Went through all that dozens of times. The
lights always flash. The plane beeps because the throttle is not 0 when powered
up. Often when unplugged and reconnected the rec is not bound.

Tried the six foot thing and it does help when binding. Always binds first time
when transmitter is a distance from the rec.

K

Sent it all back, hoping to get a regular rec in place of the 635.
You should have asked them to program it for you to match the programming of a bnf cub. Then "you guys" would essentially have a bnf. I seriously doubt that it is broken. They aren't easy to program, but many have done it. You simply couldn't. My guess is it will be no trouble found. They may replace it anyway in the interest of customer service. Horizon is great that way, but you're done with them so...
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:01 AM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Try this:
put a spare servo in retract (5 ) port of rx - see if switching tx ch 5 operates the servo
In default SPORT mode, actuating ch 5 does not make elev change throws but ch 5 servo moves
The rx is shipped, in 3D mode and the elev low high throw should have worked
we are not thru with the tests --------
I am trying to prove that the rx is operating as intended or if there is a contributing problem
I understand the lights can't be seen in this mounting position-
for this reason I do all setups with rx not mounted - just held in fingers above mounting position- the shake test is MUCH easier done in this manner
Servo plugged into Ch 5 does not move. Verified the servo is good.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:58 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Craig View Post
You should have asked them to program it for you to match the programming of a bnf cub. Then "you guys" would essentially have a bnf. I seriously doubt that it is broken. They aren't easy to program, but many have done it. You simply couldn't. My guess is it will be no trouble found. They may replace it anyway in the interest of customer service. Horizon is great that way, but you're done with them so...
Really hope it gets lost or damaged in shipment. If we get it back, will donate it
to the next Funfly. We have a "Shop with a Cop" fund raiser in the fall.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:32 AM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Servo plugged into Ch 5 does not move. Verified the servo is good.
Tried a different Tx that Ch 5 works on. Will set it up on default and report back.
I REALLY appreciate all the help!!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,877 Posts
Quote:
Tried a different Tx that Ch 5 works on. Will set it up on default and report back.
I REALLY appreciate all the help!!
Yo u are welcome - the last item I wanted to mention is choosing SPORT mode or 3D mode
for your use either is ok but 3D selected to general switch setting, makes for a docile setup -with minmal elevator response and works well if you want to switch to the aerobatic settings of 3D
You are not the only one to be a bit flustered in using the 635.
I like it but I spent some time with it .
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:05 PM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Having some Tx issues, need to upgrade firmware to get the Tx/Rx talking properly.
I'll be back-