SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:00 AM
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Discussion
Questions about Ground Station and RSSI

Hello everyone, thanks for reading. I have read and read, but still some questions. Initial setup will be a bixler, 600 immersion tx, predator v2 goggles with built in rx, dx6i, longe range with 2 satelites recievers.

So far the dx and reciever have been bulletproof as far as I can see, so I will use this for spring fpv piloting and training. I have ordered a security2000 camera upgrade, turnigy 9x and am leaning towards the rmilec module( ease of setup, 9x compatible, some great reviews, others not so good). May suck it up and go DL, but here's the thing.
When is it necessary to have aground station, I assume having my goggles rx and powerful transmitter close may cause some interference, always??? or just sometimes??? What does a starter GS consist of, how does a basic setup attach to my current 5.8 immersion and Predator goggles. The other thing is RSSi, I just don't understand how to hook this up, I will likely buy an OSD once I am comfortable with the current setup but all I ever see is RSSi compatible, or auto detect, whats that?? Soldering to reciever at own risk is another common post, OSD's have an RSSi pin, from that to what, thanks again, just trying to figure it all out before the big day, getting excited but also afraid to total my plane. Cheers
firedawg1998 is offline Find More Posts by firedawg1998
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Well, read another 2 hours on Dragonlink and I'm pretty sold that this module is the one I'm gonna use, seems better filtered to aid in video static. I also hate buying products twice when I should have just jumped in... wallet first. lol
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,064 Posts
Ground stations can be as simple as the Video Rx and goggles/monitor. More complex with multiple Rx (diversity), auto trackers. Most folks start simple and build on experience and equipment. A good addition after the simple setup is a means to record you flight through the lens. Very helpful as you venture farther out in case or when you make an off-field landing.
RSSI is Relative Signal Strength Indicator--shows how strong the Aircraft control signal is. UHF systems tend to have a RX pin setup to output the signal to your OSD. It can be expressed in volts or percentages (more comon). A rule of thumb is at 40% to turn around--it also depends on the frequency. Some drop off faster than others.
RSSI out of a RX without a dedicated RSSI is a seperate forum in the FPV pages. If you use the RC Groups search--example Corona RP8D1 RSSI mod.

Good questions--shows you're doing your homework!
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
1fullbird makes a good point, Doing your homework will help you make the right decisions. There's a lot of info here and some very helpful people. Making the jump from short range LOS to long range FPV takes experience and patients. I started with 2.4 r/c, 5.8video and basic OSD. Now I'm having a blast extending my range miles out. There are a lot of good choices and bad ones and after a lot of research and trial this is what I'm using happily! What ever you chose take slow steps and ask if you not sure about something. Feel free to PM me for videos or more details.

Rangelink LRS w/dx7
Rangevideo Video tx/rx w/diversity
IBcrazy design biquad and turnstile antennas
RVOSD
Skywalker 1880
RMRC japan Recorder & Fatshark base goggles
GPS tracker. tracks on my android phone
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Wow, you folks really can educate a guy quickly. I sort of understood what rssi was, I guess I didn't realize it is different for each setup. I like the idea of UHF to receiver with dedicated pins. It's tough where I live cause I have no Lhs near me so every snag slows me down with having to educate and then order items. I plan to start close and grow with experience and gear. My problem is as I learn, I want. I foresee a lrs, small ground station, osd with a dvr... But it gets expensive to do it right and without trial and error I am fully aware I will likely loose it all. I'm ready to start with my current system and have done some range test with good results. I think I need some help when I decide to upgrade my radio link, I figure an osd with rth, a UHF and a mini ground station should have me scratching my head but I'm sure glad there is a wealth of knowlegable people willing to help out. Thanks and cheers
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,064 Posts
While most hobby shops have items for cars, aircraft etc FPV is a somewhat specialized area. The internet tends to be FPVers ďwindowĒ for shopping. Itís a bummer to wait what seems forever for stuff. Do you have an onboard aircraft camera for recording your flights? Itís a simple addition and opens up interesting things such as learning how to edit and post videos. Itís also great to show your friends. We (at least I do) enjoy watching flights from different spots around the world.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
I don't know what cam you ordered from sc2000 but the 0420 is real popular and it's what I'm currently using. The also have a $13 cam that works great I use on my B plane. TIP: Always double check voltages and don't assume polarities are correctly wired, assemblies are sometimes wrong. HK is famous for that trick.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Pz0420 is the camera I ordered, they had others for a bit more money but everything I read about the 0420 was very positive. They are very supportive with their emails, tracking order and all. Can't wia tto try it, the stock HK cmos camera had foggyish viewing and didn't like to be directed near the brighter light. I tried my original GoPro on the bixler but the moving quality was poor at best. Currently using a 808#16 and it has a great picture, I have considered using the video out function and trying it against the new 0420. I moved that one around, makes for some great video on my 3d and Cessna planes. I Also have enjoyed hours of other people fpv flight, some absolutely beautiful locations. I will double check the polarity on the new equipment, thats some good advice right there, although I 'm sure HK's 24 hr help line would take care of me, lol. Actually any issues I 've ever had will billing has been taken care of super fast. 36 orders in two years and never a lost package so I guess |i have been lucky to date. Cheers. 4 More sleeps until I find out if I was good this year, yaaa