SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:24 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I find it interesting that they use mph instead of kph.
Noboby in New Zealand ( possibly the entire 'empire' ) new what a Km was right up to the 1960's.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
956 Posts
KKK, do you use gallons or liters?

I assumed that if you drive on the left that the metric system would be the norm. That appears to not be true. That's why I found it interesting.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:10 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
956 Posts
From a historical perspective did anyone use the metric system before the 60's?
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:19 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
Most of Europe has used the metric system since Napoleon (from 1812 say). The rest of the world has largely followed, and today only a handful of countries in the world have not adopted the metric system, with sources generally including Liberia, Burma, and the United States (Wikipedia). The UK is sort of half-arsed metric, with most things metric except for distances indicated in miles. I find I personally prefer metric for just about everything - mm and gm are particularly useful measurements for our hobby - but still use 1/1000th inch for lathe work and have never got used to L/100km, preferring mpg!
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:36 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,555 Posts
Hello all, I'm Robin and I mistakingly started posting on xplaneguy's blog thread thinking it was the Dynam Tiger Moth thread! Now that I've found the 'right' place I just wanted to introduce myself.

My 'Tiggy" just arrived yesterday and I'm trying to decide on how far to go with any mods before I get started. At the top of the list is adding a little cockpit detail and at least one pilot figure! Second I've decided to stay with the overall yellow scheme but I've ordered a full set of custom markings from Callie Graphics - an aircraft from the Marine Luchtvaart Dienst (MLD) or Dutch Navy that were used for towing club gliders!

I also have a set of 1/6th scale DB Sport & Scale Balloon wheels for their Tiger Moth complete with vacuformed "DH" wheel covers! They may be a bit large though so I also picked up a set DU-BRO 3" low bounce wheels that seem to be close as far as the hub to tire diameter ratio goes, I'll just have to make my own wheel covers!

And last, gromitvt10 posted these on the 'Post scale decals for download' thread. I'm sure they could be resized and printed for the Dynam Tiggy (they may require some trimming)! Thanks gromitvt10!
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver maiden!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,494 Posts
Hi Robin - Please tell us more. What time period was this plane operating and do you have some kind of link with Holland ?
Brent.
jwellsy - Litres now gallons before we went metric. The French had metric time for a time. Now that was a lost opportunity.
Last edited by Kaikokid; Mar 01, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:00 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,555 Posts
Kaikokid - They received them from the Dutch Air Force in 1957 and this aircraft (002) operated until 1965. My parents and I immigrated from Holland to the US when I was 10 months old and my father was a Dutch sailor. That and I thought it would be a little different!

If painting one of these works out, I'd like to get another and give ZK-AIA a shot!

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Mar 01, 2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added missed word
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:50 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,480 Posts
Dumb question but someone has to ask it; Where does the instructor sit? In the back I'm guessing but if I use only one pilot I want him in the right spot.

Thanks
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:42 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Hello all, I'm Robin and I mistakingly started posting on xplaneguy's blog thread thinking it was the Dynam Tiger Moth thread! Now that I've found the 'right' place I just wanted to introduce myself.

My 'Tiggy" just arrived yesterday and I'm trying to decide on how far to go with any mods before I get started. At the top of the list is adding a little cockpit detail and at least one pilot figure! Second I've decided to stay with the overall yellow scheme but I've ordered a full set of custom markings from Callie Graphics - an aircraft from the Marine Luchtvaart Dienst (MLD) or Dutch Navy that were used for towing club gliders!

I also have a set of 1/6th scale DB Sport & Scale Balloon wheels for their Tiger Moth complete with vacuformed "DH" wheel covers! They may be a bit large though so I also picked up a set DU-BRO 3" low bounce wheels that seem to be close as far as the hub to tire diameter ratio goes, I'll just have to make my own wheel covers!

And last, gromitvt10 posted these on the 'Post scale decals for download' thread. I'm sure they could be resized and printed for the Dynam Tiggy (they may require some trimming)! Thanks gromitvt10!
Congrats on your Moth. I have attached a couple of images of the logo for the wheel covers if you decide to make your own You can use photoshop to color the disk to match your paint. These are from the old GWS Tiger Moth forum.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
Dumb question but someone has to ask it; Where does the instructor sit? In the back I'm guessing but if I use only one pilot I want him in the right spot.

Thanks
Alan
The pilot always had to sit in the back. Seems strange but CoG I guess. The instructor mostly sat up front, thats why the hoods on the back. I wanted to have two pilots but for some reason only one was available after I had ordered. I think it would look better with two.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:54 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Where does the instructor sit?
I'd always understood that the pilot sat in the back to make it easier if he had to bail out, and that's why the upper wing was cut away above the pilot. Presumably if an instructor had to bail out he would have to rely on the pilot to hold the TM steady while moving backwards along the wing. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,555 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I'll definitely use one! I'm trying to resist the urge to 'totally deck her out' and just construct a nice looking and good flying model! I have a habit (sometimes good, sometimes not so) of modifying something on my models, on this one I'm going to try to keep it down to the markings, a pilot, more scale like wheels, and some painted details! (we'll see!)

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver maiden!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jeff, I'll definitely use one! I'm trying to resist the urge to 'totally deck her out' and just construct a nice looking and good flying model! I have a habit (sometimes good, sometimes not so) of modifying something on my models, on this one I'm going to try to keep it down to the markings, a pilot, more scale like wheels, and some painted details! (we'll see!)

Robin
Good luck with that.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
do yours is the same as i got?

Quote:

Robin

I have got a tiger moth ,the detail as the website:http://www.f-hobby.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

Can you let me know the detail of you do?i am interesting.thanks.
eric080 is offline Find More Posts by eric080
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:54 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric080 View Post
I have got a tiger moth ,the detail as the website:http://www.f-hobby.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

Can you let me know the detail of you do?i am interesting.thanks.
heck that looks a bit dear try here.

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2918
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3