HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,070 Posts
Discussion
Removing the switch on a brushed car esc

I see both the brushed esc's I own have got switches. None of my brushless esc's I have for boats have switches. I supose having a switch is good as there is no spark when connecting batteries.

But I want to take out the switch from the circuit and directly couple the wires. Is it a bad idea?

Also, I dont see capacitors on the brushed esc but all my brushless esc's have got a few of them installed. With no capacitors I asume I will then get no spark when connecting batteries to it?
Can I fit a capacitor to it as it don't have one? Will there be any negatives when I fit a capacitor to the esc that did not have one directly from the factory?

The esc in question is a lipo tazer 10T.
SARCFAN is offline Find More Posts by SARCFAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:54 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
I wouldn't remove the switch from my own preference, but if you cut it off and splice the wires that went to it together it'll work. Alternatively, you could just always leave it on and control power by plugging in or unplugging the packs.

Comparing marine ESC's to car ESC's is comparing apples to oranges. The ESC in my 22T only has one tiny capacitor, about the same size as the one on my 35a turnigy marine ESC. The ESC in my truck is quite high end, so it's definitely not a cost thing:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushless-ESC

Adding a capacitor if you don't need one won't help with anything at all, just extra effort to find them and solder them on. Why do you want to add one, are you having issues with how it's running?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I wouldn't remove the switch from my own preference, but if you cut it off and splice the wires that went to it together it'll work. Alternatively, you could just always leave it on and control power by plugging in or unplugging the packs.

Comparing marine ESC's to car ESC's is comparing apples to oranges. The ESC in my 22T only has one tiny capacitor, about the same size as the one on my 35a turnigy marine ESC. The ESC in my truck is quite high end, so it's definitely not a cost thing:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushless-ESC

Adding a capacitor if you don't need one won't help with anything at all, just extra effort to find them and solder them on. Why do you want to add one, are you having issues with how it's running?
+1
I don't do it but I know plenty who do remove the switches. No damage from doing so.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Absolutely no issues at all. But I want to use this esc in a boat now and thought there must be a reason why boat esc's have more/bigger caps on them than car esc's. Maybe its the constant high power drain that happens in boats? But if its agreed that its not really needed, then I'm answered thank you.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:48 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Boats are generally much harder on power systems and tend to draw a lot more constant amps than any car/truck. There's no harm in adding caps, but unless you're drawing a lot of amps then you should be fine.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,070 Posts
No them I'm sorted. I finished installing the motor etc on the boat. The motor is a terra claw 55T. Prop is a big 55mm one, fully submerged under the boat. This is going to be my bait boat so the prop must be under the boat. It draws less than 10 amps with a freshly charged 2S pack so its very little actually. I will then rather not add caps.