HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by The Don, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:30 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Hi, Don - any ETA for restock on the 4400's?
I have them on order. The chinese new year basically put a 3 week hold on everything. Do you need just one? I might have one actually.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:02 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
?......... Do you need just one? I might have one actually.

Don
Yessir, just one Wicked Plus 4400kv needed . I will PM too.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:43 AM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
Hey Don I just bought a Tech One Neptune Wing http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-101-n...ith-motor.html and want to amp it up with one of your setups. what set up would you recommend
AtTheCross is offline Find More Posts by AtTheCross
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:36 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,075 Posts
Here is my build thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1805205

I am hoping to fly it soon once the weather breaks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:26 AM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
Thanks!!! Looking forward to the flight video
AtTheCross is offline Find More Posts by AtTheCross
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:13 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,738 Posts
Hi group,

Total newbie to EDF's here but thanks to a great friend of mine, I now have a 50mm F-16 to learn on.

I want to go with the 6000kv Don set up but don't see how to get a large enough battery in there. I'm initially thinking of an Hyperion 1600 which I have.

How much material can be removed without causing the fuse to weaken?
I saw the recommendation is for an 1800 3S.

Thanks for any info and pics if you have them.

John
new2rc is online now Find More Posts by new2rc
Last edited by new2rc; Mar 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
The F-16 is a great plane. Anything over 1300 battery is a tight fit even with major surgery. I suggest melting instead of cutting. I use a soldering iron w/melting tip for this, melting strengthens it into plastic. Notably under the canopy rails or sides of the battery compartment. (there's a good amount of foam you can dig into on both sides). Also, use a Dremel tool and carve out the bottom ofmthe cockpit hatch helps a lot too.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkx9 View Post
The F-16 is a great plane. Anything over 1300 battery is a tight fit even with major surgery. I suggest melting instead of cutting. I use a soldering iron w/melting tip for this, melting strengthens it into plastic. Notably under the canopy rails or sides of the battery compartment. (there's a good amount of foam you can dig into on both sides). Also, use a Dremel tool and carve out the bottom ofmthe cockpit hatch helps a lot too.
Thanks bunkx9!
Great idea with the soldering iron. I'll give it a go.
Just placed my order for the Wicked Wemo Combo 6000KV and 40 amp
ESC FROM Don. After reading some threads here he seems like a straight shooter.

Unlike most though I want to set mine up with some landing gear as I love ROG and landings.

John
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:10 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,075 Posts
Here is my build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=f16

Post #59 is where I started the 6000KV build. I thought I had a photo with the lipo installed posted in that thread. I had to remove a lot of foam with my Dremel to get the 3S 1800 to fit. I use a combination of the sandpaper drum and the orange grinding stone for foam removal. You can also use a thin piece of music wire or a needle to estimate the foam thickness so you do not go too thin.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:38 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,738 Posts
Quote:
Here is my build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=f16

Post #59 is where I started the 6000KV build. I thought I had a photo with the lipo installed posted in that thread. I had to remove a lot of foam with my Dremel to get the 3S 1800 to fit. I use a combination of the sandpaper drum and the orange grinding stone for foam removal. You can also use a thin piece of music wire or a needle to estimate the foam thickness so you do not go too thin.
Hi Don,
Thank you for the info! Looking forward to getting this plane set up. This will be challenging and fun for sure.

Regards,
John
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:24 AM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Well I finally got around to giving your 6000kv/40A ESC combo a home tonight. I ended up putting it in my F-22, as she needed a nice boost in overall power and performance. This is my first experience with seeing/hearing one of your EDFs powered up in person. I am blown away!!!!!! The static thrust is ridiculous! it almost flew right out of my hand as I wasn't expecting that much push. Not to mention it sounds like a real turbine engine, which adds to the cool factor of this F-22 (my favorite jet in real life) too.

I wanted to thank you for your outstanding product. You have DEFINITELY lived up to all the hype . I'm sure I'll be buying a few more units from you sooner than later! Great work sir.

-Sean
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:12 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,075 Posts
Glad you like the power boost! The F22 is probably the draggiest of all the 50mm airframes so if you put that same combo in the 50mm Screamer it will go over 100 mph when you have the need for speed :-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,738 Posts
I have Don's power system in hand and I have to say the attention to detail with the instructions and pre tinned wires is super!

I've also started work on the F16 and was able to fit the fan based on your build thread Don, thank you.

One question on the ESC to motor connections, just to save some trial and error.

Is it:
A > Red
B > Black
C > Yellow

Thanks,
John
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:48 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,075 Posts
ABC means nothing I have no idea why the put that on the label as all it does is cause confusion. There is no relationship to ABC and the wire colors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
Warbird crazy!
Joined Sep 2004
3,738 Posts
Quote:
ABC means nothing I have no idea why the put that on the label as all it does is cause confusion. There is no relationship to ABC and the wire colors.
Hi Don.
Thank you. I'll do a test connection as I normally do with bl motors then.
Hope to get her ready for next weekend.

John