HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hand View Post
MY father passed away fifteen years ago. From agent orange i would estimate he built at least forty differant model of paddlewheelers. I have a photo album filled with them.I never started building them on my own until he was gone , i helped him growing up .The first one i built about six mos. after his passing and realized i paid really good attention.And my first one looked pretty good.
Where did he serve in Vietnam? I was a helicopter pilot there for a year flying UH-1H Hueys and AH-1G Cobras in an Air Cav unit at Lai Khe and around Pleiku, 1968-1969. I'd like to see pictures of his collection.

Mike in Edmonds
hookpilot is online now Find More Posts by hookpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,280 Posts
Hey Mike,

Do you know Paul Fleming?
He has some stories to tell, one flight involving the evacuation(twice) of a family and their cow.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
i know he served 68/69 not sure where he was stationed he was a truck driver over there delievering surplies
john hand is offline Find More Posts by john hand
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Hey Mike,

Do you know Paul Fleming?
He has some stories to tell, one flight involving the evacuation(twice) of a family and their cow.

I know a Jim Fleming. He was a flight engineer with the Chinook helicopter unit at Paine Field where I flew for 24 years. It's amazing how Vietnam era guys pop up out of the backroads in the Pacific Northwest. I have a large flying segment of my website at: mjonesfamily.com. Lots of photos of the guys I flew with. There is a link to the Air Cav Squadron I flew with in Vietnam, B Troop, 7/17th Air Cav, The Ruthless Riders!

Mike
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
Adding a Few More Bits and Pieces to Preston

After trying to make a small railing at the top of the A-frame out of brass, I gave up and rebuilt it using .035" Plastruct styrene rod. Success! It will be delicate and in a vulnerable place on the model, but it will do for now. I'm picking up a Triton resistance soldering system in a few days if the price is right. Anyone out there have one of these for sale??? I've got almost 15 feet of railing to build on Preston, oh Joy! The electric drive system is undergoing a rebuild. More on this later.

I just dug out an old pen-in-ink drawing I did 34 years ago. At the time I was building a Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat.

Mike in Edmonds
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
never had much luck with styrene myself think its very hard to work with
john hand is offline Find More Posts by john hand
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
Working with Styrene

It's interesting how many different building materials people use. for me, styrene sheet worked out best for the superstructure on the Preston. On a previous steamboat model I planked the entire boat in Alaska cedar. That was a lot of work, but it looked great. I probably would have used brass on the A frame work platform if I had a resistance soldering system. Styrene railing goes together fast, so prep and setup are critical to getting a good result.

Mike in Edmonds
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,280 Posts
I have made a lot of railings, but never used a resistance soldering system.
I found a good flux and a 30 watt iron worked well to build up railings in place.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
What 10 channel Radio to choose

I've been looking at the Spektrum DX 10t and DX18 radios for the Preston. Any other radios out there to consider. I need 6 proportional channels and 4 non-proportional channels. By non proportional I mean 3 position switches.

Thanks
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
Progress on the Preston Steam Engine

My friend Dave is moving along with the building of W.T. Preston's steam engine. I can now begin buying all the piping, fittings, valves, water level control system and feedwater pump for the steam plant. When Mike from Macssteam returns from holiday, I'll have the information I need to order his beautiful 3.5" dia. horizontal marine boiler with all the fittings, plus a few extra and 2.5" gas tank. I first need to find out the thread type on the WLDS system's water level probe. Then Mike can silver-solder in the proper bush to accept the probe. Along with the WLDS, I'll be picking up their electric feedwater pump and solenoid valve. While all this is going on, I need to get inspired to finish the detail work on railing and hog rods. Gotta fire up that video of the Lone Star sternwheeler chugging across that beautiful Colorado foggy morning lake. As all this comes together, the weight of my model grows. 18 pounds minus steam plant with target weight of 37 pounds. By the time I add the steam plant I'll be getting closer to the correct displacement. It's critical on a stern wheeler to submerge the paddle wheel blades at the optimum depth, no more than one blade width. The attached picture (courtesy of Dave who is building the engine) shows the main cylinder with piston valve assembly sitting on top. 1/4" steam lines will feed each cylinder and exhaust through 5/16" exhaust pipes. There will be 4 servo actuated cylinder drain valves to prevent hydraulic lock up on start. These may have to be machined since there is very little clearance under the cylinders. Commercially available drain valves may be too big. Lots of subsystems to think about...

Mike in Edmonds
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
DX10t On the Way!!

After much research and thinking about the future of my interests in both model ships and airplanes, I ordered the Spektrum DX10t and case. This will take care of my RC needs for a long time. I still have a cabinet full of radios that will probably get auctioned off at the next club silent auction. Using a tray radio will allow operation of the steam donkey/crane in a more intuitive way. The DX18 puts a lot of the controls I would be using to operate the donkey and crane in odd positions. I also like the special harness that keeps the transmitter from swinging and banging around when you bend over. I also like the idea of being able to swap out modules on the tray. I'll be doing a complete review once it's installed in the Preston.

Dave is making excellent progress on the steam engine. I'm ordering the Macssteam 3.5" marine boiler and the WLDS (water level detection system) with boiler feedwater pump. Work began today on soldering up the 15 feet of railing on the model.

Mike in Edmonds
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
Picked up My DX10t this Afternoon!

What a beautiful radio. I also picked up the carrying case and neck strap for the radio. I started installing the Spektrum servos last night. And the big surprise of the day--- After getting an email from Spektrum that the custom Spektrum jacket is discontinued, the hobby shop I deal with mysteriously found a jacket, in my size, so it is now at an embroidery shop to have my name and DX10t stitched into the coat. I'm set now...

Mike in Edmonds
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,320 Posts
Macssteam Ltd. Boiler

I'm ready to take the plunge and order the boiler for the Preston. It will be their
3 1/2" horizontal marine boiler and will include all fittings (safety valve, water level gauge, 2 steam valves, one for main steam line to engine, second to an attenuator to regulate boiler pressure, boiler pressure gauge and siphon, one-way valve to add water to boiler while in steam, burner, and WLDS sensor + electric feedwater pump to maintain boiler water level.) Delivery should be in 3 weeks.

Work continues on getting the temporary electric drive working right. Much head scratching, and I can't afford to loose more hair. At this rate, I'll have the steam plant done before the electric drive is made to work.

The DX10t is amazing! The more I learn about this transmitter, the better the overall control of the model will be. Mrs. Santa is probably getting me the Spektrum telemetry module, and iPhone adaptor, plus the Spektrum jacket with custom embroidery.

Mike in Edmonds
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,381 Posts
I am not much of a boater, but I read every post on this thread. Cool.
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,297 Posts
Very cool.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME