HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
Oh no Barry, haven't you read the almost 300 pages in the Xplorer thread about how the large stab size is so incredibly important. You cant be serious trying to use a smaller stab. It'll never work, everyone knows large stabs are 3.275% more effective ;-)
Wait a minute! Which stab am I supposed to be using on my Xplorer????
jaizon is online now Find More Posts by jaizon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:36 PM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Ahem, is there going to be a electro fuse for Maxa? With that light weight it looks ideal to kit as a F5J ship.
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:17 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,156 Posts
Time to go see Snickers and see what's doing in Barry's hangar
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:01 PM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Answering my own question, yes there will be a electro fuse, I got told today...
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:07 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
Any new news?
Big Browns is offline Find More Posts by Big Browns
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:02 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
154 Posts
MAXA came in at 1700 grams, 60 oz., awesome for a 3.925 meter, 154.5 ", plane! Congratulations Vladimir, the new technology 45 g spread tow helped make this possible.

We were out testing with John and Henry this morning refining the flight modes. Air was buoyant so we had some nice long flights to work on control throws.

Flaps slow it down to a walk for landing. We shot some video of landings and hope to put it up on site soon.

Come by and see it at the Muncie NATS next week.

Barry
Blaster is online now Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:14 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,156 Posts
I've been to the mountain...

So the Maxa has been quite the buzz here in Dallas of late. Flying buddy JimmyMac called me a few weeks ago when he was visiting Snickers/shopping at Barry's place with the first local sighting. Pre-assembled he was smitten.

A few days later I got wind of the pre-nats test flights and promply invited myself along for the ride. Several of us had a taste, and after the club weenie roast, it was declared, ready for Nats.

My impressions (with Barry's permission).

4M wingspan, AUW is 60 oz., the model feels deceptively light, yet very solid.
In launch camber pulls like a mule as expected
Similar layout to the Supra Comp Pro however the stab is now integrated
Airfoils are proprietary, not the same as the Supra I'm told
Wing attachement is different, "blind nuts" are anchored in the top of the wing, the bolts come up through the lip of the pylon from the bottom. Very solid, but different.

I was able to fly it in early morning lift, the model was probably 80% dialed in. All I can say is.... wow. I'm new to "high end" molded ships, my point of reference being my trusty Eraser Extreme. The model was as easy to fly as my Ava.

At one point the Maxa was in the same air as a "classic" Supra that I'm told weighs in at 72 oz. Both excellent pilots, it was interesting to watch the Maxa go up, and the Supra come down.

Before flying the Maxa I spent some time on the classic Supra sticks and conclude that Supra drivers will feel very comfortable with this ship. Honestly, the thing was so easy to fly, with minimal practice I could put the nose in a dixie cup. Very stable and responsive "in close to at the ramp". As expected. it was very light and lively, with a Drela like speed range. I was amazed how crisp she felt in the roll axis.

I took a few iPhone shots, Barry was filming with John flying this morning, I'm sure he'll soon post some quality shots and video. Or you could go to Muncie, Barry the sailplane pusherman will be giving sample flights!

I'm just a club knuckel dragger who happened to be at the right place and time to have a taste of this incredible ship. I'm sure there will be some extensive reviews coming soon. The consesus among those who flew and observed was that this ship is a game changer for those who have the means.

Thanks to Barry for letting us play!

Dan in Dallas
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:53 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
So the price shows 2500 is that accurate
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:02 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
WOW! What happend to the estimated $2000 price tag? I really hoped the price would be more reasonable for the times/economy!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:37 PM
USA, CA, Seal Beach
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
I wonder if they are going to honor the $2k price for ppl who are already on the list?
lblife is online now Find More Posts by lblife
Old Jul 04, 2011, 09:00 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Dec 2008
271 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I can do 2k, but 2.5k is a little to rich for my blood. Especially for beta testing a model.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:08 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised if the price doesn't go up more.
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:29 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkiller View Post
I wouldn't be suprised if the price doesn't go up more.
And why shouldn't it! Try building one of these creations yourself! 4mtr span @ 60oz and able to be winch launched. Worth all of $2.5K in my opinion.
D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:15 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
And why shouldn't it! Try building one of these creations yourself! 4mtr span @ 60oz and able to be winch launched. Worth all of $2.5K in my opinion.
D.
That's not Aussie dollars, mate. It is steep but no one is getting rich making or selling these. There is always a price point beyond which the consumer will balk. However, I'm not sure that applies to the high end sailplane market. If it's really phenomenal, it appears we will buy it. I'm in a wait and see mode, secretly hoping field test reports will tip the scales.
jaizon is online now Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Sylvania
Joined Oct 2009
77 Posts
[QUOTE=jaizon;18681333]That's not Aussie dollars, mate.
You haven't checked the exchange rates lately!
$1US buys $0.93AUD
For years we have been paying way above you guys for our sailplanes. I can recall Carl Strautins paying almost $12kAUD to get 3 ICONs landed in prep for the 2005 world championships!
3D_sailor is offline Find More Posts by 3D_sailor