HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
You are correct. I had to join the AMA, and my local rc club, to find a field large enough to fly it. The wing span is over six feet, and the glide scope is just ridiculous. It has the option to add flaps, but the rtf kit comes with a four channel radio. The instructions are excellent. Build time is short.
IamNabil is offline Find More Posts by IamNabil
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
My offering/suggestion:

Suggested rating: 1.5

Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos

I'm a newb (last "flew" in 1980). Started anew by flying (crashing) the HZ Champ.

Just now ordered the new Stratos, ETA is this Friday.

... Lennie

.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thanks mate, but just clearing things.... have you actually flown one?

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Thanks mate, but just clearing things.... have you actually flown one?

Cheers - boingk

Not yet, but will after receiving mine on Friday...

My goal in replying to your "Thread" was to let you know you 'missed' a flyer, period.

My "rating" is a guess based on my research... if you wish, have someone else rate it - my guess of "1.5" may even be on the high side.

I will also venture a guess that my 'guess' will turn out to be pretty darn close.

Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Not a worry at all mate, and thanks again for the reply.

I would also rekon it'd be somewhere around the 1~2 mark, but this thread is filled with firsthand ratings from people who've flown the planes listed...

...so I rekon you should be the first person to rate the Stratos! Please let us know how she flies once you get her in the air - I've heard a lot about the design and am actually pretty interested to hear to hear a firsthand report.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Thank you, boingk.

I will feedback to you and the readers of the Thread here, after my first few flights.

... Lennie
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
I have tested the Firebird Stratos several times. And it must be hard to find a more easy model to fly. It almost fly on rails. And landing is easy. I will recommend it to a person who want or must learn to fly by himself. I will give it 1 -2. I just demonstrated for the owner, how it can fly without me controlling it.
Just climb up to a good height, and you are ready to fly.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
I have tested the Firebird Stratos several times. And it must be hard to find a more easy model to fly. It almost fly on rails. And landing is easy. I will recommend it to a person who want or must learn to fly by himself. I will give it 1 -2. I just demonstrated for the owner, how it can fly without me controlling it.
Just climb up to a good height, and you are ready to fly.
Thank you for your input - I'm very much looking forward to furthering my flying skills with this bird.

... Lennie
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
I would rate the Hangar 9 rv-8 a 7. I've flown a glow version w/ a .46 and it's quite speedy and relatively nimble. The roll rate is a bit timid and the elevator a bit touchy on landings but overall highly stable at all speeds with no surprises. (Good plane for scale flying)
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:41 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNabil View Post
I have a Flyzone Calypso. It was my first plane, and after having someone fly it for me the first time, I was able to launch it and land it on my own, as well as fly it several hundred feet away. It is very easy to see in the sky, and although it has ailerons, it is very, very easy to fly. All of that said, I flew helicopters for eight months before I bought it, and am able to hover a cp heli, and fly the snot out of quads. I think the Calypso is a good first plane for someone with sim time.
Awesome review and glad to hear the flightw went so well.

Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
Nederland, Noord-Holland, Krommenie
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
Multiplex FunCub and DogFighter

Firstly some selective quoting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
1: Toughness - Will it shrug off a nose over or stall, or will it need a greased landing?
2: Ease of control - 2ch, 3ch, 4ch? Parkflier or 3D? Start on easy, predictable rates & 2~3ch.
3: Speed - fast models get away quickly and require you to 'fly ahead' more than slow ones.
4: Size - small models get away quickly, too, and also tend to get thrown around by wind.

0 -- Safe to give to a young child
1 --
2 -- Beginner can fly with assistance
3 --
4 -- Beginner can solo with flight instruction
5 --
6 -- Good 2nd plane
7 --
8 -- Good 3rd plane
9 --
10 -- Requires experienced flyer

The above includes the ability to take off/launch, maneuver, and land the plane in the conditions for which they were intended. Not the ability to do aerobatics or 3D maneuvers; just fly it without crashing and land again safely.
Short version:

Multiplex FunCub 3.25
Multiplex DogFighter 8

Long version:

I started off teaching myself on a HobbyZone Super Cub, with some sim and coaxial heli (Syma S107) experience.

HobbyZone Super Cub 2.25
Toughness A (1001 cartwheeled landings and still going strong!)
Controls A (In calm conditions, lacks a bit of authority in strong wind)
Speed B (No speed demon, struggles against strong wind)
Size B (You need a football field, but orientation should not be an issue)

Next step up was a stock RR (receiver ready or PNF -> Plug aNd Fly) Multiplex FunCub.

I was rather intimidated by the size (1.6m wingspan) and put off maidening until I could fit the SC with ailerons (highly recommended!) to gain some 4-channel experience. As it turned out, I found the FunCub actually smoother to fly than the Super Cub, quite possibly due to being bigger. Go figure.

Multiplex FunCub 3.25
Toughness B (Elapor foam is tough and repairable, but I'd rather crash the SC)
Controls B (Handles and stalls similar to SC, but flaps + ailerons add complexity)
Speed B (As slow as you like, but with ample reserves of brushless oomph)
Size A (Large wheels means orientation is never an issue)

It is also worth mentioning that the FunCub's "Tundra tires" are ideal for learning rolling take-offs and landings. And the supple wire undercarriage can soak up hard landings all day. In short, an aptly-named plane that does everything a SC does, only better. Oh, and the quality is pretty darned decent. If a Super Cub is 2.25, that a FunCub must be around 3.25 due to it having flaps and being bigger and thus less damage-resistant (I would assume, never having properly crashed it).

Having been bitten by the Warbird bug, and endlessly impressed by Multiplex, I got a DogFighter as my first low-wing plane and my Warbird-trainer. As expected, this is another kettle of fish altogether!

Multiplex DogFighter 8
Toughness C (Same tough Elapor, but much faster)
Controls C (Bank-and-yank 3-ch, needs quite a bit a expo/dual-rates in my hands, tends to drop a wing when stalled)
Speed C (Fast, even on the stock 3S 1350kV setup)
Size D (<900mm wingspan meant dayglo paint job in the name of orientation)

I LOVE the DogFighter!!! This is the plane that taught me to think ahead... Rather basic compared to detailed Warbirds, it is pretty crashworthy and highly repairable. Just watch the high speed / low altitude passes... IMO you need a computerised radio to make the most of the DogFighter. Compared to the Cubs, (belly) landing it is a bit of a challenge... I've set up spoilerons which helps to slow it down, but it still comes in pretty hot in still conditions. A good 3rd plane IMO, certainly if you have Warbird ambitions, though I would absolute recommend a hi-viz paintjob, seeing as this is a small and fast model with a pretty fast roll rate.

I got the Dog as a trainer for my Durafly P-51 Mustang (1.1m) and I've possibly overshot the mark.

PS Thanks to this thread (and the contributions of dkrhardy and Bobly) I'm considering a "3D" plane!
Quagga is offline Find More Posts by Quagga
Last edited by Quagga; Oct 03, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Eflite P-51 B Mustang?

Anybody want to rate the Eflite P-51 B Mustang? I plan to build this and am wondering how it'll fly and mostly land.
jimbes is offline Find More Posts by jimbes
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
I have a Raptor 30 v2.I can hover it ok with no training gear.This was my first real flying experience.E flight Blade cp being the first airborne rc attempt.My first plane was the parkzone um p51 it was ok but too fast to enjoy and very twitchy even with low rates.I like biplanes and triplanes slow stuff for the back yard.It is a good sized yard with few obstructions.I use a DX7.Any suggestions? I am currently putting the P51 guts into a half sized sbach 21" wingspan.
ernestharmon is offline Find More Posts by ernestharmon
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbes View Post
Anybody want to rate the Eflite P-51 B Mustang? I plan to build this and am wondering how it'll fly and mostly land.
There's a thread on this plane over in the Electric Warbirds forum. I've been checking it periodically, as I've been tempted myself. I get the impression she's probably an 8+. Would love to hear from someone with stick time on one though.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Nederland, Noord-Holland, Krommenie
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
Warbirds

Durafly P-51D Mustang (1100mm) -> 8

(Graded on beginner-friendliness)
Toughness D Relatively heavy (but repairable) foam airframe with inherently fragile retracts; Parts supply limited and availably online only.
Controls C 4 channel controls frisky on full travel; Dihedral + D/R + expo = excellent low-wing trainer.
Speed B Beginner-friendly on 3S, entertaining on 4 (but watch the ESC!)
Size B Bigger is better, still relatively light at 1.25kg/2.75lb

The well-prepared beginner should be fine with enough high-wing experience and instruction (or sim) to highlight the differences. That would make it a 6 or a 7. The power, handling and stall characteristics of the Durafly P-51 can be considered beginner-friendly, certainly compared to Warbirds in general. "Floaty" comes to mind. It certainly is a relaxing plane to fly, with an unobtrusive self-leveling tendency. Balanced according to the manual, throttling back eases the Mustang into a gently-descending glide. Invertedy flight requires a firm measure of "down" elevator. Stalls are predictable, but still better avoided.

Unfortunately for beginners, especially those flying off rough/grass airstrips, trouble awaits on the ground... Rough landings may bend the retracts causing them to bind; rough surfaces rip the units from the wing or cause prop-chewing nose-overs. Personally I've found the visibility/ease of orientation of the stock "Ferocious Frankie" scheme to be poor despite the wing-tip lights. These factors push the 'stang up to an 8 IMO.

Nice quality plane, certainly for the money (130).

The EFlite P51B
Though I haven't flown the EFlite 51B myself, the specs (1.3m wingspan, 2.4+kg, lovely scale features) lead me to believe that it will not be overly beginner-friendly. Assuming similarly vice-free handling as the Durafly P51, the heavier weight will require firm input to recover a stall and make it less crash-resistant (and probably more time-consuming to repair). Landings (on the optional retracts) would require careful consideration. My guestimate is in line with that of CF105 @ 8+.

Here is a comprehensive review of the Eflite P51B by Michael Heer

** SPOILER ALERT **
(Quoted from the review)

"Is This For a Beginner?

NO! This plane is for an intermediate pilot or better. The plane does not self correct if the pilot goes hands off and like a true fighter plane, it does not like to be flown too slowly. It is not a trainer warbird! It requires more attention to keeping the speed up and the plane needs to be flown at all times. It has displayed no bad habits in flight but beginners too often want to fly or land too slowly and as discussed above that shouldn't be done with this plane. I recommend this plane for the intermediate pilot and above. A beginner can assemble one but should admire it on the ground until his skills are ready for it."

The reviewer himself crashed the P-51B and advises caution. Assuming you are a less-experienced pilot, perhaps try a smaller / lighter / tamer Warbird first, or buy two of the EFlite P-51B's (@ $140 not much dearer than the smaller Durafly version, until you figure the optional extra's into the calculation) and resign yourself to smashing #1

Personal setup Durafly P51D Mustang:
All stock except for the following:
Orange Spektrum compatible 7 channel receiver
4S 2200mAh battery and throttle travel limited to 90%
Ailerons 55% D/R and 33% Expo; 40% Differential
Wing painted fluorescent yellow (and normal blue)
Retracts removed (making it more of a 7 )
Quagga is offline Find More Posts by Quagga
Last edited by Quagga; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added link to and quote from review on EFlite P51B