SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:52 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Mystery Mat - Continuous Video Shot

This mystery is weird and hard to believe so I post this video to remind myself it is real!!

No more post on this mystery from me. I promise.

Rubber mat causing interference to AR Drone start up (3 min 12 sec)
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 03:49 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo29 View Post
Hello,

for your information i have an AR.Drone with Miru Mod working fantastically for many months now... and, i have a friend trying to do the Mod, unfortunately he doesn't live close to my place, and it's Mod doesn't work properly.

After few seconds of flying, from 10 seconds to 180 seconds, it's variable, the Drone stops and lands hardly...

My friend tried with two RX, a Hitec 41MHZ receiver (with a hitec Optic 6 TX) and with a 2.4 GHZ Corona RX, same symptoms with both RX

The test on the hyper terminal is ok, excepted a strange line displayed in addition of the conventional channel display. This line appears on this display as well after 10 or 180 seconds. It's why, we are wondering if it's a sign of malfunctioning. And if it is, what's the clue to solve it ?

Below, please, you can see this added line in two different versions :
Thank's for all... Miru mod Rocks !

Regards.

LD
If you enter another Ctrl-B while in setup mode, it should rebuild the screen from scratch. My really slow laptop does this once in a while because it drops characters at 115200. If your PC ist fast enough and it comes back after a while, I would try another Arduino...
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
This mystery is weird and hard to believe so I post this video to remind myself it is real!!

No more post on this mystery from me. I promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsoVq5eJzNA
Hi Candu, this reminds me of the strange interference problems I had when my satellite was too close from the Wifi antennas of the Drone; the Arduino would not succeed to control the Drone. Also, the orange LED on both the receiver and satellite were flashing instead of solid. Did you check you receiver LED? Maybe the mat interfere with Wifi signals (absorbs)..

Ciao, JB
Doc_Avid is offline Find More Posts by Doc_Avid
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Avid View Post
Hi Candu, this reminds me of the strange interference problems I had when my satellite was too close from the Wifi antennas of the Drone; the Arduino would not succeed to control the Drone. Also, the orange LED on both the receiver and satellite were flashing instead of solid. Did you check you receiver LED? Maybe the mat interfere with Wifi signals (absorbs)..

Ciao, JB
Yes, Rx light is solid so it is bind to tx.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:09 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
I assume you must have another way to disconnect the arduino from the ardrone since you need to be disconnected to be able to test with hyperterm, or perform mirumod versions upgrade, or fly with an iDevice.

Did you put in another more common type of inline connector?
Hello Candu1,
The cables are soldered directly to the board and THEN after 1cm I have the connector, so I can disconnect the drone from arduino and can use the hyperterminal...
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Yes they are much brighter than standard LEDs. Here is a couple of outdoor shots:

I think I'll change my sketch to have them flash - change it back when I receive my RF transmitter. But don't expect too much in bright sunlights, especially from the side.

Finally had a chance to "see" the low voltage alert under actual flying condition. It doesn't show up that well in Youtube but the flashing white LEDs are visible against an overcast sky in the actual video.

The video was taken with an 808#11 key ring camera valcroed to my baseball cap.

AR Drone with mirumod - Low battery alert, end with "carrier" landing (1 min 50 sec)

You probably notice the white LEDs are not flashing in "carrier" landing "scene", and you're right, that part was taken from the previous day's flight when I had the white LEDs switch to solid for testing purposes.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:07 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Vlba

Quote:
You probably notice the white LEDs are not flashing in "carrier" landing "scene", and you're right, that part was taken from the previous day's flight when I had the white LEDs switch to solid for testing purposes.
Dear Candu1

Nice video! And we notice that a 5 Hz blinking is much more effective and consumes less power. In combination with the acoustic Low Bat Alert (LBA) given by FreeFlight 1.9 we have now an optimal LBA.

Have nice flights!
Kind regard
UFU Doctor
UFO Doctor is offline Find More Posts by UFO Doctor
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Candu1

Nice video! And we notice that a 5 Hz blinking is much more effective and consumes less power. In combination with the acoustic Low Bat Alert (LBA) given by FreeFlight 1.9 we have now an optimal LBA.

Have nice flights!
Kind regard
UFU Doctor
Thanks UFO Doctor. I suspect that's what I'd end up doing in the long run. My RF tx has just been shipped so it should be here in a week or so.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
JavaDrone Control Tower API

I have added the RC mod to my AR Drone and am running version 009 without troubles. I want to add a ground station other than my Android phone. I found a API called JavaDrone with a demo called Control Tower. It displays video along with NavData on my PC. That's great!

I tested it this morning with v009 and the video and NavData does not come through. I tested ControlTower without v009 in the control loop and everything works fine. When I start the Drone with v009 and my Arduino, I get only a very short video and no NavData.

I think the problem is that the NavData packet is now longer and Control Tower does not know what to do with the data.

I am not using a GPS at this time. Can the GPS portion of the NavData be disabled?

What I would prefer to do is change the Control Tower demo to accept the new length for the NavData. I am looking into that now.

If you have any suggestions, I would be glad to listen to them.

BTW, if you know of a ground station that does work with the AR Drone, I would be glad to test it.
bfnpmsz is offline Find More Posts by bfnpmsz
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:28 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfnpmsz View Post
I have added the RC mod to my AR Drone and am running version 009 without troubles. I want to add a ground station other than my Android phone. I found a API called JavaDrone with a demo called Control Tower. It displays video along with NavData on my PC. That's great!
Dear new Miru Mod Freak

I have just received a info from Parrot about a new FreeFlight app for Android phone.

Perhaps this hint can help.

The GPS from Miru is not yet available, Miru 009 wihout GPS is ok for you.
Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:33 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Your efficient feet

Quote:
I purchased the releasable tiewraps from a local hardware store (Home Depot?). I like the added ground clearance and its ability to absorb hard landings. It has already proved itself from an emergency descent (not emergency shut off) from 41 feet onto interlocking brick patio. (It went out of sight after the wind took it over the house).
Dear Candu1
Please show us how you mount your releasable tiewraps on your drone: I think this is a very good, low weight solution!
Kind regards
UFU Doctor
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
UFO Doc,

I have the same issue with the Parrot AR.Freeflight app on my droid. As soon as I start up Miru v009, the video ends along with the Nav data. I'll test again just to make sure. Thanks for the input.
bfnpmsz is offline Find More Posts by bfnpmsz
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:24 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Only Miru can help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfnpmsz View Post
UFO Doc,

I have the same issue with the Parrot AR.Freeflight app on my droid. As soon as I start up Miru v009, the video ends along with the Nav data. I'll test again just to make sure. Thanks for the input.
Dear bfnpmsz
I am sorry that I could not help. Perhaps Miru see solution?
In the meantime enjoy the flight with Miru Mod, for the video recordings there are much better solutions as shown by candu1!
Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Old Sep 05, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Candu1
Please show us how you mount your releasable tiewraps on your drone: I think this is a very good, low weight solution!
Kind regards
UFU Doctor
My first version was with regular cable ties but tired of cutting them off every time I want to remove them to fit the ardrone in my custome made case. But nothing wrong with non releasable tie wraps for this application.

Here're some pictures to show how I mount them:

Length ~ 8"

Loop it into land gear as shown:

Tighten it as much as possible. The trick is not to allow it to slip side ways - ie, towards the front or towards the back.

Stick the loose end into the cross where it enters the foam body:

You can leave it as is but it may come out during a hard landing:

Or you can secure it with black electrical tape:

You gain about 40mm with these new landing gears.

And that's it. Ready to fly. You can see the bounce in the "carrier" landing in the video in an early post. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=816

Happy landing !!!
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:11 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Your efficient feet

Dear Candu1

Congratulations to your feet design and many thanks for the perfect documentation!

Kind regards
UFU Doctor