HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,729 Posts
Just did the maiden and two additional flights on the Turbo Jet - and I'm really pleased with it!

This is the most stable and controllable of any of 8-10 jets I've flown. It looks fantastic in the air and is a real sweetheart to fly. Not particularly fast but that doesn't really matter to me. Mine is bone stock for the first flights but I'm impressed enough that I may consider adding flaps and retracts.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Feb 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:37 PM
Florida
Joined Feb 2009
293 Posts
what type of flight times are you guys getting out of this, and why isn't this plane more popular it seems like a great deal!
jcs06h is offline Find More Posts by jcs06h
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:14 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,729 Posts
I've now gotten 10 flights on this Cessna 550. Usually about 6 minutes in mixed flying - it probably could be pushed a little longer but I try for no more than 70% discharge.

I don't understand the lack of interest in this plane, either. It's not very fast and probably not as exciting as other EDF's. It may very well tolerate a 4s battery. That would really bring it to life!
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:35 PM
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jul 2003
211 Posts
Dynam Turbo Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I've now gotten 10 flights on this Cessna 550. Usually about 6 minutes in mixed flying - it probably could be pushed a little longer but I try for no more than 70% discharge.

I don't understand the lack of interest in this plane, either. It's not very fast and probably not as exciting as other EDF's. It may very well tolerate a 4s battery. That would really bring it to life!
All I know is it looks Bad$ss with the gear retracted,Also it's not that slow, i had mine clocked at 69 M.P.H. on radar maybe the pilots out there just don't want to fly a "Corporate" jet. well i am glad i got one, it flies awesome...Zagi
ZAGI CRAZEE is offline Find More Posts by ZAGI CRAZEE
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:39 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,957 Posts
Mine got damaged by the wind at AEF 2011 ordered a number of spare parts. My replacement canopy came painted black, odd for a white airframe. I was expecting no paint.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
38 Posts
i just bought one of these bad boys too and i picked up some of nitroplanes 10$ DSR retracts for it. but im wondering how do i make one of them with nose wheel steering? i cant seem to find any info on here or in a Google search. anyone have any advice? ill post up a maiden video once i get her all squared away.
stout890 is offline Find More Posts by stout890
Last edited by stout890; Feb 25, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Jul 2003
211 Posts
Dynam Turbo Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Mine got damaged by the wind at AEF 2011 ordered a number of spare parts. My replacement canopy came painted black, odd for a white airframe. I was expecting no paint.
Bob
Cool, now all you have to do is mask off the black windows, and then paint all the rest white with spray paint, then put a coat of spray clear coat over it to protect the paint, black windows, with white everywhere else, it will look just like mine,and it will match the rest of the jet! Zagi
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
Florida
Joined Feb 2009
293 Posts
Zagi how necesisary are the flaps/did you fly it w/o them? Also I'm interested in your retracts they sound awesome. This will be the next plane I purchase
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Jul 2003
211 Posts
Dynam Turbo Jet

jcs06h, flaps are not necessary, i flew mine without them just fine,but i had a couple of servos laying around, so i put flaps on just for fun, they do however shorten your take off roll.This jet is powerful enough to take off easily without them,you won't need a whole lot of runway for liftoff. I installed ChangeSun servoless retracts, i got 3 of them for 52.00 shipped they come with 2 mains and one for the nose, which does retract and steer, it was some work to do them, had to shave out the front so the wheel would go in, just a little of the front wheel sticks out, and the other 2 retract nicely into the wings, it looks great with the wheels up,and also less drag When i lower the gear, they come out slow, pretty cool, it was worth doing, it is now my favorite plane to fly.if you get one and need help or advise,let me know, it is a great plane! Zagi
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
Florida
Joined Feb 2009
293 Posts
Nice! How about taking off from short grass? Is that possible or not very smart?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:48 AM
Joined Jul 2003
211 Posts
Dynam Turbo Jet

jsc06h, i forgot to tell you that you will have to modify the wing cut outs for the retracts if you go with the ChangeSun retracts, i just used a Dremel to shave out the bay as they are kinda deep retracts, they almost go to the top of the wing,so take your time, and do a little at a time,also be careful that you do not shave too much away from the sides where the mounting screws go, or you will be gluing some light ply in there to use to remount retracts. I had to glue in some ply on the front to remount the nose gear, The ChangeSun retract for the nose comes with a weird "L" bracket and a collar that you use to hook up your pushrod,you can run it off your rudder servo. When the wheel is in the up position, the "L" bracket has a slot in it so the collar can slide up so you can use the rudder while the gear is up, it's pretty neat how it works. Zagi
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:07 AM
Florida
Joined Feb 2009
293 Posts
cool, thanks for the help.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
38 Posts
my nitroplanes 10 dollar retracts are so deep that i have 1mm left before the top of the wing.....i couldent help but have to cut all the way through the wing...i ordered another wing though to try again lol i'm bummed i ruined the plane already...
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:24 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
Just flew my today for the first time.
I was out with couple of other planes and the wind died to nice 5mph.
So I decided I'll give it a try. Didn't have much of a runway, narrow wet path, between banks of snow.
It flew good, but I got less than 4 min, when I heard noticeable difference in motors rpm.
I landed and changed my extension I made up for attaching two batteries instead of one. (I unsoldered the factory connection, added extensions and deans plugs. For one pack I use "y" cable, for two, each pack powers separate esc)
It was a little nose heavy, but flew faster and of course lot longer.
With one battery my elevator was slightly down, now with two it is level.
I am using 2200 mAh turnigy packs. First one was hot when I landed, next two were not even warm.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
38 Posts
hey guys, havnt got a chance to fly yet since weve been having wind warnings all month long with 30-40 gusts here supposed to get to 85 mph tonight. but i was wondering if any of you pilots had any experience or advice on flying this plane with a 4s on the stock speed controls? can it be done and also would it be better to do 2 3s packs in parallel? thanks in advance for any help guys!!