HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
Discussion
Known issues with using an A/C adapter with 12v charger?

I got an AC to 12v adapter (this exact one):
http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-Amp-12V-.../dp/B000P7O5DG

And ever since I hooked my parkzone radian battery charger to it, it just beeps and gives errors, even when I hook it in a car. I check the fuse and it seem fine
jibril is offline Find More Posts by jibril
Last edited by jibril; Oct 28, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:27 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well if the charger is giving errors even when connected to your car battery then it's the charger with a problem, or it's being connected improperly. Perhaps reverse polarity. If you connect any device up backwards, or to a source who's voltage is too far outside it's requirements(too low or too high) it will give an error.

Have you used this charger before, if so has it worked ok before?
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk View Post
Well if the charger is giving errors even when connected to your car battery then it's the charger with a problem, or it's being connected improperly. Perhaps reverse polarity. If you connect any device up backwards, or to a source who's voltage is too far outside it's requirements(too low or too high) it will give an error.

Have you used this charger before, if so has it worked ok before?
It worked okay (3 times) up to the time I hooked it to the adapter for the first time. Now, no matter where I hook it up, it just beeps in error, with the battery or not.

I don't think it's reverse polarity, the AC plug is in correct, and when I connect it to the car, I don't thing even I would do it wrong with by putting it in the cigarette lighter
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^No, the output wires on the AC unit may be reversed. Check them with a volt meter.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
^No, the output wires on the AC unit may be reversed. Check them with a volt meter.
Okay, I'll have to buy one of those later.

I just noticed, the blue wire leading into the battery is actually out and loose, could this be the source the problem? How would I fix this? Cut the battery packaging open?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:04 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Umm which blue wire? One of the leads from the balance tab? If it is, and the charger reads off the balance tab then yes it would be a problem.

It can be repaired, but I wouldn't suggest it to someone with little experience in playing with lipos. Also dependent on the pack, the wire to be soldered back on may use aluminum solder vs the standard solder we use for most of what we solder.

PLEASE, if you don't know what you are doing, get some help from someone who does.
The consequences if you make a boo boo can be ugly.

Just went and looked up the pack and charger on Horizon's site. Definite yes the blue wire being loose on the balance tab will affect the charger as it reads the voltage of the pack thru the balance tab, so with one wire off it can't tell what pack you have. Hence an error code.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:07 PM
Unregistered User
White Rock BC/Blaine WA
Joined Apr 2007
595 Posts
If it is one of the balance leads pull out the broken end and put some tape over it right now. If it touches any exposed metal from the other leads in the battery it will kill it and maybe start a fire.

Definitely sounds like the broken wire is your problem.
liam2317 is offline Find More Posts by liam2317