SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by jetjock50
United States, SC, Florence
Joined Nov 2004
166 Posts
still gaining on it

I got a pair of Taurus pro-link retracts for the mains, and have an email in to Jet legend for the F-18 struts.
With the drawings on previous pages, I am making up the landing gear mounts to make up the compound angles. 9 degrees of pitch up towards the back, 5 degrees kicked in at the back of retracts and canted outward at 15 degrees.
The formers are all marked in pencil and retract mount plates are cut out. when I get the struts and mount my wheels then I can check all the angles out before I cut anything. Still need a nose gear retract, probably will get the Taurus nose gear, but a Robart 638 would do nicely.
jetjock50 is online now Find More Posts by jetjock50
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Air-Jon
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,248 Posts
Looks good Roger! There are lots of angles to consider for the F-18 gear...for extended and retracted position. Sounds like you are working it out.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,550 Posts
post 241 has all the poop on it!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 13, 2015, 05:50 PM
Joined Nov 2004
166 Posts
fan mount and rear gear former

here are some pics of the rear former which will carry the front of the exhaust duct and the fan as well the the back of the main gear mount. the actual angular fan mount will be removable if needed by being bolted thru the hard wood blocks that you see.
You can probably see the Kevlar 40lb catfish line which I wound around the inlet and CA'd in place. Waiting hear back from Jet Legend with actual cost for struts with shipping.
Thank you "Cooler " for those shop drawings with all those angles on them!!!!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2004
166 Posts
Bad news. and Great News!!

Jet Legend has no stock left for the old F-18 C, so no struts

But, On a whim I called Tam and asked if he still had struts for his F-18 and low and behold he said yes. And for only $180 for all three. So those are on the way!!! Now only need to get the nosegear retract. if anyone has a Robart 638 laying around, let me know!!!
Roger
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Air-Jon
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,248 Posts
Score!!!
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,550 Posts
That's great! Progress can be made now.

Normally, I'm' as poor as a church mouse! But a few things came through- and had the cash to get a few Y.A kits B-4 there gone- Let me tell you , the stock F-18struts, are no where close to the quality of the F-16's .

There OK, but , depending how scale I want to go- RC Crafters , is still an option.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Joined Nov 2004
166 Posts
Jet Legend

Need to up date, I got an email from Jet Legend this morning saying that while they do not have the struts in stock, they would make a set for me If I want to wait 2-8 weeks.
Well I have already placed the order with Tam for his F-18 struts and they will ship today. The time was not the factor, but when I was previously told they were not available from JL I went the other route and ended up saving $120 too. Tam made a big impression with me yesterday, a will endeavor to get my door hinges and whatever else I can, from him.
Roger
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,840 Posts
Tam is good people ...no one works harder them him . he has even sent customers for some of my nacelles. post pics of the gear when you get them.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY