Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by Scott Todd
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
Discussion
Premier Aircraft Ventique 60E

My Ventique 60E arrived! I haven't built a nice airplane in a while and have been looking forward to this. I had an E-Flite power 60, ESC and batteries already but I decided to order all new stuff sold and recommended by Flex Innovations for this model. A shout out goes to my wife who offered to fund the project and gave me the official green light to order all this stuff

The big box arrived from Falcon Hobby Supply via UPS undamaged late last night. A smaller box arrived a few days ago with the recommended batteries I ordered, the motor, and ESC. I had the chance to speak with them on the phone. It may seem trivial but they answered the phone quickly, the staff was friendly, and it was a good experience. I think customer service is REALLY important and it appears Flex has chosen well

Instead of cramming this all in one post, I'm going to keep posting, kind of like a blog as I build and fly it. For many years I have said anyone can fly anything I own anytime they want. This still holds true and I'll let anyone in the Phoenix are fly it once it gets to the field. If I don't spend too much time typing, maybe we can get it out in the next day or so

So here is the dorky intro to introduce myself and get things started...

Ventique 60E arrives (0 min 22 sec)
Scott Todd is offline Find More Posts by Scott Todd
Last edited by Scott Todd; Feb 20, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:01 AM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
Reserved.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:32 AM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
Un-boxing

So here is the official un-boxing. The box has an attractive label on the top and end. As a former retailer, this is nice. It can be displayed in a row or on end stacked on a shelf. Nice job. Opening the box gave me a big WOW! Look, a wing bag.

Under the bag reveals a nicely packed model. Each constructed part is neatly wrapped. The servos and controls horns are all protected with foam blocks and foam sheet taped in place. The fuselage is double wrapped, first in tissue type paper, then plastic. This is a nice touch to prevent canopy scratching during shipping. The elevator servo on the rear of the fuselage is also well protected and the installed push rod is taped in place.

The first oops I noticed is the Aileron control horn geometry. I would have tried to make them a little more square. The way they are rigged provides some differential but I would prefer to set them up square and do any further adjustments in my radio. We'll address this more during construction and flight tests.

Another nice touch, which speaks to quality, its the cowl packaging. It was in a separate box, wrapped in plastic, with a cardboard template to help hold its shape. I think some of these models sit in hot warehouses and its not uncommon to see glass cowls get slightly deformed.

There is a set of servo arms I'm a bit puzzled about. There are three of the double metal arms, like used on rudder, and one of the single arms like used on ailerons and elevator. I suppose you could cut them down but it would have made more sense to include the correct ones. I checked them and they all fit nicely on Futaba servos as do all the plastic ones included.

There is a nice sticker sheet included. I really like this. More often than not I find myself peeling off crooked or unwanted stickers. I think including them is better. Then the builder can use the ones they like and its easier to personalize the model. There is a nice manual with clear photos for each construction step. We'll comment more as we build.

So far QQ and the Flex team has not disappointed. Its a beautiful, well packaged model. The covering a bright. The seams are well hidden. The edges all line up and there are no wrinkles.

Well its all here and I have been typing enough. Time to start building!
Last edited by Scott Todd; Feb 20, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,632 Posts
The servo arms are all spares that come with the servos. The plane already has all the servos installed with the arms on. And when you buy the servos they come with all the plastic arms and 2 aluminum arms one of each style. They are nice enough to include all the spares. Nice bonus. When you get a chance can you let me know what the thread size is on the aluminum servo arms? I'm kind of hoping it 2 mm. Thanks. Looks good.
Gregertman is offline Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:51 PM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
Well that definitely explains the odd servo arms. Thank You!

It appears the holes are NOT threaded. A 2mm bolt slips through. Its a bit loose but would probably work tightened down. There is a lot of material there and it wouldn't be any big deal to tap them up to 3mm or 4-40. I'll take one of the pre-installed ones apart when I get a minute and report findings. I'm doing epoxy hinges now

Here is a photo of the front. The canopy is all molded plastic and fits very well. I like that its one piece plastic. Its HUGE! It makes it really nice to work inside and change batteries and such. Another nice touch is the motor mount goes past the firewall to the second bulkhead. I haven't played with any new, large 3D airplanes lately but this is the first I have seen this. I also like how the canopy mount is blackened. I usually do something similar but its pre-done here.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1,632 Posts
Yea it sure does look nice. I like the blacked out look myself. (The Extreme Flight and 3DHS planes have basically the same motor box design ) thanks for letting me know about the servo arm holes.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:48 PM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
Here I am. I have been working for about 3 hours with a short lunch break. I stumbled at the wheel pants. The manual goes over drilling and mounting blind nuts but they were already installed in my model. However, there was a minor glitch and they didn't line up. I monkeyed around with them for about an hour with a dremel tool and finally got them right. You can see in the photo how much they missed. I cut the slot out essentially moving the pants down slightly so the screw hole lined up with the pre-installed blind nut.

The manual calls for a collar on either side of the wheels to center them in the pant. My kit only came with two. Fortunately I had some extras so I was able to keep going.

I also deviated slightly from the manual and did all this BEFORE installing the gear on the fuselage. The tail surfaces are mounted and dialed in. I had to dial the elevator back to about 93% to get the current draw at the end point down. It was drawing about 600 mAH at the end points and by taking the throw down a bit, I got it down to about 350. It may seem trivial but I don't like stuff binding on the ends. Especially a 3D airplane that may get there often

It still has monster throws. I'll go over them later...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 03:56 PM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
Well I got the motor and ESC mounted. I went to mount the cowl and there is a minor issue with the spinner. I don't have the right adapter to make it fit the prop shaft. So I'm off to the Hobby Store Its always good to have a legitimate reason to go there. I don't like to just drop in. It makes me look like I don't have a life. Oh wait....

I struggle with comparing products but I thought I would here. The Power 60 shown is a nice motor that I have used on many projects. I have a couple of them currently flying on warbirds. The specs say its the same prop shaft size but I measure the Potenza about 1 mm larger in diameter. The Potenza is listed as a slight higher KV which should give a bit more prop speed for those hard core 3D guys who need it all. I think they are both top quality and I look forward to flying the new one.

Overall I'm pleased so far. The quality is very good and everything is fitting well except the minor discrepancies I have noted so far. This certainly isn't a beginners model so they truly are minor
Old Feb 20, 2015, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1,632 Posts
Dang I'm to late. I was going to ask you if you could check the weight of the motor before you mounted it. Oh well.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 06:48 PM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
I made it back from the Hobby Store run and picking my kids up from school. I got the right prop and some EC5 connectors to make a charge adapter. Back to work...

The manual says the motor is held on with 3 mm bolts but he blind nuts installed in the firewall are 4mm. There are 4 mm bolts and washers included. I did have to drill out the X mount.

Here are the weights. I left the prop adapter and the X mount on. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1,632 Posts
Thank you.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by luke352
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,341 Posts
The aileron servos are set that way so that at deflection the linkages become straight/parallel. I don't understand the physics behind it but it actually provides some mechanical advantage to the servo so it's not working as hard.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Feb 20, 2015, 07:22 PM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
I'll have to see if QQ can answer that. I would certainly like to know the physics involved. When I'm done, I'll send them a note and see if I can get a response
Old Feb 20, 2015, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
21,029 Posts
for servo geometry as shown in the pic...

the physics are that the load is least when centered as well as deflection per unit of rotation at a maximum (for a few degrees of servo rotation you will get the max movement in the control surface). by setting up as they have, the robs some of the movement, some of the mechanical advantage to give it to the end-points where the load is least as well as needing more deflection per unit of rotation because due to rotation of the servo the motion is starting to limit.

it's hard to explain, and if this explanation didn't clarify, don't worry as it's a relatively common source of argument.

long story short, the setup there is nice
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:59 PM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
452 Posts
Thank you KM for the explanation. I'll have to think about it. The Enginerd in my will probably end up doing a force analysis.

Well its done! Here are a few shots. Some things to notice: The bulkheads down the fuselage have spots to run the elevator/rudder servo extensions. The cooling exits on the fuselage are reinforced. I like the little transition to the tailwheel on the bottom of the fuselage. It would have been cheaper to omit this but is points to the quality. The lower center opening on the cowl directs air to the ESC. It was hard to get a good photo. The firewall is open behind the ESC to allow the air to continue on. I left the finished shot at a higher resolution for anyone interested
Last edited by Scott Todd; Feb 20, 2015 at 10:24 PM.