Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:33 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
What is Minwax Polycrylic - where can I get it from in Australia

G'day all,

I'm about to step into the foray of fiberglassing and to be honest, I've never successfully done it before. My biggest dislike more than anything else with handling FG is the resin part. I've heard that Minwax Polycrylic is an easier to handle alternative than epoxy resin so my question is - where can I get it from in Australia, or perhaps people know of it under an alternative name?

I'll be using 2oz cloth on my fusulage (balsa box).

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:17 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Okay, after a bit of research, I see that Minwax is just the brand, so that's eliminated one half. Now, from what I can tell on their site, Polycrylic is an Acrylic, though I'm not sure if the 'poly' implies that it's polyester acrylic and if that's a defacto thing with acrylics. I also see that it's clean up is in warm water.

Locally (in Australia) I can get various clear acrylic floor finishes from various companies, should there be something /specifically/ that I should look for? I'm assuming that Urethane based paints are out of the question (bonding issues?).

Paul.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:35 AM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
Paul, Minwax Polycrylic is simply a 'water based' polycrylic. The brands availible in Australia was discussed in the DL50 thread and it seems to me that the Watts brand was mentioned.
Matthew
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old Jan 27, 2005, 07:52 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
That'll probably be something like the Wattyl Timber paint, I saw that it was only available in 4l or 20l amounts - not a problem, at least now I know what to search for in more detail.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:17 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
I just finished my DL50 using 'Crystal Clear' from Cabots (www.cabots.com.au) it is a water based varnish for wood furniture. It has worked very well and from what I can tell it is very similar to Minwax Polycrylic.

It cost about $18 for 0.5L from any Bunnings outlet
FlyAndy is offline Find More Posts by FlyAndy
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:28 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
G'day FlyAndy,

Yep, I was homing in on that one the other day from looking at their WWW site. I actually have a container of this stuff except that it's had a tint put through it. In fact, my arms are resting on a table that has been covered with it :-) Thanks for letting me know though, it's always good to hear about it from other people too. I'm hoping tommorow I'll get the delivery of my FG cloth and I'll be able to finish up my QuickFlick DLG (though I've already flown it several times and taken videos).

Paul.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:31 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Actually, the only thing I did notice though about the CrystalClear is that it's actually a Urathane based and not a Polycrylic/Acrylic.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 04:44 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Here's the Wattyl paint that I thought might be relatively close too - only trouble is that you can only get it in a minimum size of 4l.

http://www.wattyl.com.au/Applicators...Timberline.htm

Note how it's Acrylic as apposed to Polyurethane.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:25 AM
Lebanon, Maine
Joined Nov 2004
925 Posts
Paul, That is a lacquer based product. This is not what you want. Most urethanes are solvant based products. The polyacrylic is a water based type of urethane not a lacquer. The crystal clear will be fine.

Scott
ScottLister is offline Find More Posts by ScottLister
Old Jan 30, 2005, 08:36 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Scott,

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if the critical element was the Acrylic aspect or the water-based aspect. That said, I then have already got an awful lot of suitable paint in my shed for this purpose, admittingly, with a tint of colour :-) Then again, some mahogony colour on my plane wouldn't look tooo bad.

Thanks again.
Paul.
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
20 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread, but it is still a top result when you search "Polycrylic" from Australia.

You can now get the minwax Polycrylic from any masters store (as in the woolworths/Lowes joint hardware store). Price is $10 250ml, $20 for 1L , $65 4L.
dsiee is offline Find More Posts by dsiee