HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:09 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
Discussion
Saito 325 radial conversion to gas?

I want to convert my Saito 325 5 cylinders radial to gas. Mostly for reliability of running, and of course cost.
Does anybody know if there is a commercial kit for such a conversion?
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2014, 03:10 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,838 Posts
Not to start any methanol/gas or glow/spark war:

I think if reliability is the main goal, you're better off with Sparks, but stick to methanol.

Gas introduces a whole lot of other issues like mixture control (Glow carbs are not designed to provide the accurate metering of fuel needed for gas), additional heat, lubrication, power loss, etc etc.

CDI alone will reduce your fuel bill by roughly 20~25%, and in case you are running Nitro, you can leave that out and save even more, moneywise, from cheaper fuel, but volumetric the consumption will go down as well, by about the same percentage as the nitro omitted....
It will also gain you a little bit power....

But gas is an option, for sure, and if economy is the main goal above everything else, then that is the way to go....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Sep 21, 2014, 03:14 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
The main concern is reliability. Radials on glow plugs tend to loose soemtimes the bottom 2 cylinders due to fuel accumulating there and cooling the glow plugs. My solution was to move to spark ignition, I don't mind so much the cost of the methanol, as much as i am concerned at the loss of power coming from loosing the 2 bottom cylinders.
I thought of a glow ignition system as a solution, but that is adding a big and heavy battery, to correct a reliability issue. Two wrongs don't make a right :-)
So i am looking for a 5 cylinders spark ignition system.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 03:30 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,838 Posts
I think there is not much weight difference between a 5 cylinder ignition system, and a Twin onboard glow.

If that (loosing the two bottom units) is your main concern and nothing else, on board glow is the thing for you, most likely you will like it even better than ignition.

Personally I would definitely go for the Sparks, but that is because I am a fan of CDI....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,630 Posts
There are several manufacturers of onboard glow systems. Sullivan for example.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:06 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,335 Posts
Try and contact these guys. They have systems that are not listed on the site. I've seen a video of a guy running his 7 cylinder Evo engine with CDI.
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Sep 22, 2014, 09:22 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Try and contact these guys. They have systems that are not listed on the site. I've seen a video of a guy running his 7 cylinder Evo engine with CDI.
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/
CH-Ignitions has 5-cylinder CDI sytems that use a single hall sensor pick-up point & a unitized module.

As stated above, e-mail Adrian as the site doesn't even come close to listing all that is available.

Onboard glow for an engine that large is a waste of money. CDI will soon pay for he small added expense in fuel savings even when glow fuel is retained.

CDI methanol will give you all of the user friendliness of gas W/O the power loss associated when converting from glow ignition to a full gas conversion. It will also be more reliable.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:21 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
Thanks to all. I am in touch with Adrian, and I think I have a solution.