HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2014, 09:58 AM
Draper Utah(Salt Lake City area)
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
Discussion
Carbon Dragon

For Those interested below is information on my 1/4 scale Carbon Dragon. The carbon dragon is light wt. sailplane designed by the late Jim Maupin in the 1970's There are a group of individuals who are building these, some modifying by using composites and other materials that were not readily available when the original was designs. Below is the web address for a technical website. I built my model using 1/4 scale study plans available on this website. In the full size plans not everything is drawn full size, but all of the information was there create plans for my model.

http://www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/

The specification on my model are below:

- Wing span 132" Area 1375 square inches, Epler 197 airfoil (not scale)
- Wt. 7 LBS. 11 Oz. Wing loading 13 oz per square foot.
- My Boom is round tapered carbon fiber, The bottom section of a fishing pole. Quite stiff, does not flex. The original had a hand laid up eliptical carbon fiber boom.
- Construction:
- Pod, Ply bulkheads sheeted with 1/32 ply and glassed
- Wing: .188 x .500 spruce spars capped with 3/32 balsa and .004 thick carbon fiber. Trailing edge of wing is .045 x .500 carbon, (CST) made a stiff and striaght trailing edge that did not flex under covering. The full size had full span Flaperons, I built mine with seperate Flaps. My Flaps are programed to move 50% of the airelons and while not scale I prefer the seperate flaps as you have more options.
- Tail: Balsa built up with the same .045 x .500 carbon trailing edge from CST

This was test flown at Point of the Mountain ( Ridge soared) in Draper, Utah several weeks ago, See Pictures below.

She flew very well, similar to my TMRC Cherokee but is a little more sensitive in roll probably due to the wider Airelons and the 50% airelon throw programed into the flaps. Handled very well and slows down to a crawl with the flaps deployed. My Cherokee is about a LB. heavier and has 100 less square inches of wing area and thermals well, so I have high hopes for the carbon dragon. Looking forward to Aero towing this at Soar Utah the end of August.
LEE CHAPLIN is offline Find More Posts by LEE CHAPLIN
Last edited by LEE CHAPLIN; Mar 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:39 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,687 Posts
Lee,

Thanks for the pictures and the link. I've always liked the CD. If I wasn't WAY TOO big I would have bought the full size plans.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:23 AM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
613 Posts
Excellent photos Lee.
Another model for the Point...and aerotow?

Scott
shinck is offline Find More Posts by shinck
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:42 AM
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
carbon dragon Aero tow

Ron Mendle, took the photos, over 100 of them. I did install a tow hook right below the nose, a sliding wire next to a a wire loop. Same as I have in the Cherokee.While it has a very short boom the vertical tail is very large, did not hunt or seek. While flying at the point I did put the nose down and let it speed up to a good clip without issues, do not expect any problems with Aerotowing.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:52 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
Looks GREAT!

This is a plane I dreamt of building full sized but as an NYC apartment dweller it was not possible nor would I have much opportunity to foot launch though the reported 19 mph stall sounded very interesting.

The model looks beautiful.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:55 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2003
149 Posts
PM sent
Ren DiLeo is online now Find More Posts by Ren DiLeo
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:30 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
808 Posts
Lee,

Very, very cool. This is fun stuff, Cherokees, Carbon Dragons, Dusters and the like. Great to see you bring another one back! This looks like a relatively simple build. Are you going to make your plans available?

Dave Smith
Seadog is online now Find More Posts by Seadog
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:43 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Lee,

Very, very cool. This is fun stuff, Cherokees, Carbon Dragons, Dusters and the like. Great to see you bring another one back! This looks like a relatively simple build. Are you going to make your plans available?

Dave Smith
I'd definitely be interested in plans. If they are not already in CAD files I'd be willing to invest some time to get them there. I'd then be wiling to get the laser cutter warmed up.
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Mar 16, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
Thanks for the comments, Just got back from flying on the slope, she handles 17 mph wind fine. I am looking forward to see how she does in 10 MPH or less.

I have drawn the wing, tail, and body bulkheads in autocad 14 (Old School) I took the scaled down full size plans to kinkos and had it copied in the correct scale so I had the correct 1/4 scale outline of the pod at the shelf area, where the pilots arms might rest. I then made a templete of this and cut this out in two 1/16 ply. These were wetted, glued together and nailed down to my bench with the rear section propped up the correct amount according to the plans. I then glued the upper bulk heads down and partially sheeted this. This was then removed from the bench allowing the lower bulkheads and sheeting to be applied.

Unfortuantly many of the pictures I took during the build were inadvertantly lost. I might have some that would be of help. Might be a few weeks but for those interested I could clean up and add notes, etc. to the plans that were drawn in autocad and attached the autocad file as well as a PDF. I could also draw up the pod but it might be easier for those wanting to build this to down load the study plans at the carbon dragon technical site I provided earlier.

You are right, it was not a complicated build. I worked 2 years on this but there was a 5 mth break spent rebuilding my Duster from an accident, and I built the horizontal and vertical tails twice as the first ones were quite heavy, 16+ oz. total. requiring gobs of lead in the nose to balance. The second attempt was half this weight. Due to my work, family, and othe obligatons I am lucky to work 10 hrs a week in my shop.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 08:55 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,604 Posts
Pretty neat!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,738 Posts
Is Maupin's widow selling the plan's for the full sized CD. I was also thinking of the Wind Rose motor glider as a model. I already have the full sized plan's for the Woodstock and I know there are 1/3 and 1/4 scale plan's for it.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:59 AM
Switzerland, GE, Vernier
Joined Aug 2006
194 Posts
Hi Lee Chaplin,
I'm really glad to see that you have built the carbondragon RC model.
The photo used for your presentation's mine.
We had already asked me the draws to build one, but have never seen projects done completely.
Congratulations yours is beautiful.
I hope for your sake that flight as well as the real one!

friendships
Stéphane
carbondragon is offline Find More Posts by carbondragon
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:47 AM
Joined Jan 2008
78 Posts
carbon Dragon

Stephane,

When I started doing research to decide what to build next your very detailed website of your full size project is what sold me on building the model. Thanks! I actually spent a lot of time on your site examining your full scale as I was planning the model.

Flew again yesterday, again on the ridge, the wind droped to around 10 MPH and she was still climbing very fast. Even though I used seperate flaps I programed my radio so I could adjust the camber. 3 clicks of down on the flaps and Airelons and she immediately starts to climb in ridge lift. I believe this model will fly on the slope in a very light breeze perhaps as low as 5 mph, and I cannot wait to aerotow this. Our club is hoping to have an aerotow the end of April if the water is off of the salt flats in Utah.

Thanks again for docummenting your activities so well. I am sure others building the real thing are very gratefull to.

Best Regards,

Lee Chaplin
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:05 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
Is Maupin's widow selling the plan's for the full sized CD. I was also thinking of the Wind Rose motor glider as a model. I already have the full sized plan's for the Woodstock and I know there are 1/3 and 1/4 scale plan's for it.
Nobody sells the plans anymore. The Maupins are not interested for liability reasons. Philip Lardner has uploaded an 'archive' copy of the full size plans on the site linked above.

Here is the direct link to the plans:
http://www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/ind...ll-scale-plans

The plans for the Windrose and Woostock are also available on the site:
http://www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/ind...pe-cd#windrose

http://www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/ind...e-cd#woodstock

Enjoy
Firebird356 is offline Find More Posts by Firebird356
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:34 PM
Joined Dec 2003
114 Posts
1/3 scale verson of the carbon dragon.

Hi I have some of the origanal carbon dragon plans. I want to convert 1/4 scale drawings to 1/3 scale. Any ideas what the conversion is. I also would like to know when building the tailboom at 1 /3 scale should I do for a carbon fiber fabric. Layup would be. I have acsess to 5 oz fabric cf. I will probably use some bulkheads and or some longerons of spruce.
kylekroker is offline Find More Posts by kylekroker