HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
80 Posts
Discussion
frequency board

Our club still uses the 72 meg board with over 1/2 of the club not converted. The board is so weathered and UV attacked, the numbers are barely useable. My plan is to build a new board and building is not the problem. The problem is disign and material that will stand the weather. I'm thinking about something along the lines of SS alligator clips without the teeth that screw directly on the backing. My plan is to paint the niumbers on the board and have the users cover the numbers with their club card using the clips. That way the numbers stay there and it will be easy to see if they forgot to put the pin back (or take their club card with them).

I would like to hear what others are doing and how they build their boards or even where I might be able to get the SS clips of my dreams.

All ideas will be greeted with love and affection, since I fly 2.4 and have never paid attention to this problem.
Tenderfoot is offline Find More Posts by Tenderfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Jun 2004
221 Posts
Go here and look at mini-spring clamps item 19:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-spring-clamps/=jq2jqq

Don't forget stainless screws to attach them to the backing board. These clips should last longer than the backing board, depending on what you use. Exterior plywood, sealed and coated with a high grade paint or varnish should do well. Making some cabinet type doors to cover everything up during non-flying weather is also good as is some sort of shed canopy or awning to protect the board (and sometimes the pilots) from rain and sun.

All tips from the late Pete Hinze of the Seattle Area Soaring Society. He's been there and done that.
Riserflier is online now Find More Posts by Riserflier
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:22 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,811 Posts
Ditto to your ideas, our club did the same thing. We used 4" PVC exterior trim board and had a sign shop cut us the numbers in UV rated exterior vinyl.

We did cheap out and used the binder clips from Staples screwed to the board with SS screws and they'e held up fine. Over the years we've replaced one or two...

http://www.staples.com/Binder-Clips/cat_CL10100
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
80 Posts
frequency board

Thanks you for your help. We checked out McMaster-Carr and they had a perfect clip. The price was a bit more than the club wanted to spend. Off to Staples -- Thanks again.

Dave
Tenderfoot is offline Find More Posts by Tenderfoot
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:57 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
use wood, but go to sherman williams and get some duration for it. 2 coats = 50 year exterior paint warranty. and they mean it
then use some clips that are made out of 316 or 321 stainless steel.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme