SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:31 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,872 Posts
just went to finish my other wing... realized i left my reflex silver tape at my dads house... cant move on without the tape to place under the LED's

I was planning on wiring some blue into the wingtips reversed from the other colors, then strobing that by reversing polarity... I was thinking white but the blue is more intense and annoyingly visible... might have to mess around with this one...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:39 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
new 2 rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by onco11 View Post
Never done RC before. Thinking of buying either the Bixler 2 or the SUPER Sky Surfer. Which would be the best learner for flying rc planes?
Thanks
I highly recommend the Bixler either the 1.1 or the 2 both are great beginner planes easy to fly fun to use . and will take the abuse of crashing..that beginners do..fixes with 5min epoxy .I fly mine every time I go out..just a really fun plane !!

I am the trainer for our club and I have 5 year old kids fly these..no problem..!!

get a plane and get some stick time..!!
RocketJoe is offline Find More Posts by RocketJoe
Last edited by RocketJoe; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:07 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
External BEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
I have round about 4 flights under my belt on the SSS. I can barely get it off of the ground with a 3s 4000 mah. With my 4s 4000mah, she is a dream to fly. I've got the align 70A ESC on it, which gets a bit warm, and hot if I am WOT for too long, so I've got to put some vent holes in this. I open to any ideas as to where or how to put holes in it. My esc is sitting on a side of the ledge behind the battery.

Picture 1 shows my custom paint (model masters camouflage grey and krylon clear) Pic 2 is the fpv mount I've made. Wont be doing FPV until atleast a dozen flights. Pic 3 is for fun, my Bixler with new paint and FPV setup.

4S is the way to go with this plane it seems... overall with the cg on, its really nice and easy to fly. I also have fiber tape over the wings and a little below the wings. Outside of that, its stock. Ill be throwing my UHF on there, and hooking up the nova osd when i get comfortable with the system on the bixler, and we'll sit back for some nice long rides
I strongly suggest that you get an external BEC (switching) for your plane. That is probably because your ESC is a linear one and that will cause your heat situation. It may not be suitable for a 6 servo plane. Without going into a great deal of detail, you will be very pleasantly surprised how much cooler your ESC will run (and not be worked so hard) with an external BEC. I am sure a lot of guys in here will agree and I am going out on a limb by saying at least half of them have one. If you have any trouble at all with installing it, I am sure almost everyone in here can help you.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:54 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
Indeed a separate BEC to power the servos and also an extra large capacitor to handle high current spikes might be a good thing. I don't use them on all my models but on the more expensive ones and those with many servos.

If you have intended to use the model for FPV it might be a good idea to search for a RF-quiet BEC. Some of the switching ones are very noisy.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:24 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
After losing 3 planes last year to lockout situations I now have external BEC's installed on everything I own.

Unfortunately many ARTF's have ESC's fitted which really don't have that much headroom to cope with multiple servos.

While in most cases there isn't a problem which manifests but in many other cases there is so for my piece of mind and a result of zero failure I definately would go with the above suggestions and install an external BEC.

This year I have just changed to Futaba to try out their 2.4 ghz systems compared to Spektrum.
I was a little unhappy with the very voltage sensitive receivers on the Spektrum range which initially gave me the problems..

That's not to give Spektrum bad press as their technology is excellent and the features on the radios outweigh other brands.

I may find that the Futaba receivers are just as voltage sensitive.

I undestand that Hitec have been producing receivers now which have the facility of allowing separate power to the receiver only which in turn allows a dedicated voltage to be supplied to the servos therefore maintaining a constant supply to the receiver..
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:05 AM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
655 Posts
Pretty sure the align esc is switching with internal bec, but I'll look into a seperate one. It's rated at 3a continuous and I know that the servos on a trex 500 pull some juice. In any case , can anyone recommend a separate bec from hk in the USA? Fixin to place an order for a scratch build so I can throw the sep. bec in the cart.

So does that sep. bec get hooked up to a separate battery?
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:53 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Quote:
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html

Select external bec at the top.

Notice that the power lead from the ESC is removed. Just pop out the pin and insulate it.

Also, the channels may vary depending on your rx.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:39 AM
KG5AWQ
Joined Apr 2012
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html

Select external bec at the top.

Notice that the power lead from the ESC is removed. Just pop out the pin and insulate it.

Also, the channels may vary depending on your rx.
Thanks! That's an awesome website.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:32 AM
KG5AWQ
Joined Apr 2012
655 Posts
Can anyone suggest a good hk external bec
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:43 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,872 Posts
I am debating on the turnigy redundant setup...

The hku5 is good but might be a little noisy... I'm getting one and wrapping it in foil tape, then filtering it...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yes. Electric motors are even better low end torque. As a rule of thumb, a tow plane typically needs a power system that is about half again larger than what would be used for a sport plane application.
Copied from THIS article.
FWIW-I have a Micro Telemaster and a mini-telemaster. I use the mini to tow my sons Slow Stick slope glider. But, that is an extremely light plane to tow and the mini has much more power than needed. I hope some of this helps you.

AJ

Thanks!! Just about to start building a Telemaster 40 kit. That article will give me a few ideas.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
@Little-Acorn
I too use this method to connect servos. I either use standard servo connectors or MPX-connectors if I have many servos/equipment in each wing. I don't use locking connectors because I've never had a problem with connectors coming loose. However I use strain relief on all cables so when the wing flex it doesn't tug on the connector.

If only a locking connector is used without strain relief there's a risk of damaging the cable or connector in other ways when the wing flex.
Really like those MPX connectors! I put them on my Funcub. Only two connectors and absolutely no way to mix them up if you just mark them R and L. BTW, for anyone interested, they are available in bags of 10 pair for $4 at HK. I have plugged a genuine MPX version into a HK version and they feel identical. Perfect fit. No locking necessary, they fit nice and tight. And a LOT less expensive.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...airs_set_.html

Gord
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:26 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone suggest a good hk external bec
I have been using this one in my Funcub. No problems with six servos. Good to 5S. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

If you want more there is this one. It is 5A continuous, good to over 40V and has a switch to disable whatever it is powering. Haven't tried it but now that I have seen it ........ http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

There are a number of others but I have not tried any of them. You can search only in the US warehouse - just to the right of the find button.

I just found another that I have, but have not used yet. Good to 27 volts and supposed to be 5A capable. It says max 5A on the unit but the HK page says continuous. ? A bit heavier than the metal can version so it may be more capable. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Gord
Last edited by Gordks; Jan 24, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:29 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Pretty sure the align esc is switching with internal bec, but I'll look into a seperate one. It's rated at 3a continuous and I know that the servos on a trex 500 pull some juice. In any case , can anyone recommend a separate bec from hk in the USA? Fixin to place an order for a scratch build so I can throw the sep. bec in the cart.

This may help those who have never had to do the job.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:52 PM
KG5AWQ
Joined Apr 2012
655 Posts
Thanks. Y'all are awesome