SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:40 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,786 Posts
You young lads will have to catch up with us old pharts. Most planes 40 size and bigger, by todays standards the batts are left in.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43 View Post
Thanks, sounds interesting. Just a question of electrics..... Can't find a switch which will take 20-25 Amps. Or are the published figures based on 240V ie is it the watts or amps which count?
Those published specs take two things into consideration that are not relevant to our usage. First is switching current, in our application as mentioned earlier, we don't need to switch the full current, either on or off. Second, that rating also is for continuous operation at the rated current, something we can't achieve, as much as we'd love to be able to
In Bo43's picture, the model has a very easily assessable battery compartment, so adding a switch is really unnecessary from my perspective, and just would add a failure point. Just unplug the battery and charge it right in place if you want. When I started flying E-powered models almost 25 years ago, we always used an arming switch, as the early brush motor ESC's didn't have the current arming sequence that modern ESC's do, or worse, we had an on/off switch operated by a servo in the model (think Goldberg Electra). You really needed an arming switch in those situations, but then we also didn't have a BEC, and the risk that if there was a problem with the switch, you also lost the radio, as you would with many of our electric setups today.
I fully appreciate the need for an arming plug on some of the very high performance electric models where the batteries are not easy to access quickly, there, the external Deans, or APP jumper plugs are a very good solution, since in these setups the radio is not being powered through the ESC.
One of the biggest safety features you can add to any of your electric setups, is to have a throttle lock programmed on the transmitter. Most computer radios can do this with a free P-mix of throttle to throttle.
Pete

Gord,
I resemble that statement
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:03 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
295 Posts
You may be interested in the new bluelight technologies (my company) product and my blog on the subject : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post28662793
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:35 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,586 Posts
Interesting unit there IceManPro; I can see no mention of its weight though

I note that it still consumes a small amount of power when switched off, which means that users must disconnect their batteries from it, at least at the end of the flying session, to avoid them being drained.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:13 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
295 Posts
The unit weight is 29g (1 oz), with the cables, connectors and switch attached it comes to 65g (2.3 oz). Yes it will take some power when off so it is still very important to disconnect the battery and store it safely after the flight. The switch will only take 2 micro amps when off, however over a long period of time it is enough to drain a battery, and as we all know this is not good news for the battery.
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:50 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
698 Posts
In my planes I just remove the battery. If you really want to leave it in place and use a switch though, one option is to use a relay. It's easy to find relays with 12V coils that will work at typical 2-4 cell LiPo voltages with heavy duty contacts. Some good candidates can be found surplus or from an automotive salvage yard. With a relay, you can use a small readily available switch since it only has to handle the current drawn by the coil. You don't have to mount the switch near the battery or run the heavy gauge wires to it.

As an added bonus, you can use a DT relay and have the contact switch the battery between the ESC and a charging port.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S