SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:52 PM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
163 Posts
Discussion
RC Sailboat club in GVRD - Lower Mainland, BC. Canada

I googled extensively for an RC Sailboat club in the Vancouver area and have found none.
Now this is a sad state of affairs given our location so close to the ocean with many ponds and small lakes in the area.

Let me step back a bit and give some background.
I recently returned from a trip to San Diego and happened to come across some RCs sailing on a pond in Mission Bay. As I walked up to take some pics and observe the goings on of the 6 or 7 boats sailing, an enthusiastic fellow came up to me and handed me his transmitter. He pointed out which boat was his, and let me have my way with her.
I have built and sailed full sized boats all my life (since the 60's) but never an RC boat.
Needless to say, after participating in 2 informal races, I was hooked.
Thanks (I think ) go to the Argonauts club for this.

Now back to Vancouver - Lower Mainland.
What would it take to start a club like this here?
I see clubs in Kelowna, Nanaimo and Victoria which all have a much smaller population. Why can't we get a club going here?

I am considering buying a couple of Vicky kits (one for my father), but unless there is somewhere convenient to sail them (fresh water) and others to sail against, this hobby does not hold much water

Here are some basic requirements (as I see them) to have a successful club.

First and foremost; enthusiastic members willing to donate time and energy to make this club a success.
Secondly; a lake or pond to sail in (several locations?)
Thirdly; a centralized location to hold monthly meetings.
Finally; fund-raising or dues to pay for insurance, web site, etc.

What else am I missing?
Who's on-board with me?
Maybe I'm just being delusional?

Cheers.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:55 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
868 Posts
Scratchy--probably delusional is too strong a word but I have found similar difficulties here in Kentucky. As far as I know I have the only RC square rigger in the state. I would love to be able to sail more often with someone. We have traveled to MN to sail with Dan and Don, and Dan has made a road trip south so we could sail in Ohio.

At one time there was a club in Lexington but they were very loose knit and met at a rather small pond at a shopping mall area and when the mall decided the ducks were being bothered they told the sailing club to find another location. I do not think I have heard of them meeting since then. We have a number of sailing ponds that would work fine for meets but I have found no one who is interested.

As for meeting regularly--it would be great, similar to the Minneapolis club that Dan used to belong to. There were only a few with ships the scale of his brig but at least they got together regularly to compare notes.

I do not have interest enough to travel 2 hours one way to meet with a few in Louisville and there in lies the problem. We are spaced out even with interest in the smaller pond sailer type boats.

If you can find a few who enjoy sailing together it is possible to get something going and I would encourage you to try. I do not know how you would advertise for something like this but there must be a way.

I look forward to seeing how things progress through this thread.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:40 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
I'd say nš2 is the most important to start out. Preferably in a well transited area and get the two Victorias and sail with your Dad. Then you can hope to attract interest in the same way that you were attracted. If you do your half way there and the rest will probably fall into place. If you've got a local hobby shop selling the Victorias, let the owner know and he can point customers your way. He should be happy with the extra business you could put his way. You might also try putting a flyer in all the yachting/modelling books at the local library. There's also http://sites.google.com/site/classvictoria1/
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
499 Posts
Hi Scratchy,

I am from the island and am a snowbird

I have sent you a PM about BC area sailing.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2008
229 Posts
sailing lower main land

scratchy there is a group that sails in the Boundry Park off Scot Rd they sail Victoria's primarily they were sailing weds and sundays that may have changed I don;t sail often with them now as I don't live there any more but I am still friends with some of the group and we E mail fairly regularly tell them Doug sent you some will still remember me casy
casy is offline Find More Posts by casy
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
163 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.
Looks like things may be getting off the ground here.

I'm not familar with all the local municipal regulations as far as sailing RC's in lakes and ponds, but here are a few that may be suitable, if allowed:

Vancouver - Trout Lake, Lost Lagoon(ideal for wind - if allowed)
Burnaby - Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake (too shallow, weedy?), Central Park ponds?
Coquitlam - Como Lake, Lafarge Lake
Maple Ridge - Alouette Lake, Whonock Lake, Rolley Lake
Richmond - Minoru Park

I'm sure there may be others, but those are the ones I'm aware of.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,204 Posts
The big issue with government (I work in government) is the original "lobby" that forced the rules. Probably a group of nitro-power boats - thus any rules. The bureaucrats often don't know about electric and sail - so may take you a few hours to get on an agenda at local meeting, bring in a sailboat and explain what it sounds like. Happened here - guy brought in a US1M and asked the Board to listen if the noise was obnoxious. He made a big deal of opening the hatch, turning on the servos and tipped boat a bit to allow sail movement. Then he "asked" for complete silence and proceeded to move sails and rudder. Of course they couldn't hear a thing, and some of us had a chuckle. Got a waiver at all ponds for sailboats - and one of our commissioners even took up the hobby himself.

Do what ya gotta do - but make a big production out of it so anyone with negative inclinations looks kind of foolish voting "NO". By the way - son in Wisconsin found out the large senior complex enjoy and invites him and grandson to sail during summer on their complex's pond. Gives those with disabilities something to occupy afternoons and evenings watching the boats. Those that can - could be offered the Tx for a while too.

Good luck getting your sailing site.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:49 PM
rso
vancouver island
Joined Oct 2008
58 Posts
Scratchy,
in the meanwhile,while you're waiting to get your fleet going,why not come and race with us in Nanaimo.We have one of our fleet members that brings his RC Laser over on the ferry (walk on) every two weeks.We have loaner boats available.Our first race of our Frozen Thumbs Series is January 7th.
contact me via our website (nanaimorclaser.com) Lotrs of fun,everyone's welcome.
Bruce
rso is offline Find More Posts by rso
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:45 AM
Joined Dec 2011
163 Posts
Thanks for the kind offer Bruce.
I'll send you a note when I have time to jump on the ferry for a visit.

I checked your web site and you look like a fun bunch of guys to hang out with.
What a great place to sail!
I sailed a Paper Tiger 14' Catamaran in the same channel back in 1976.
It seems all 3 sailing clubs are 3 hours away from me (Victoria, Nanaimo or Kelowna).

I've been doing a lot of research and was settled on buying a couple of Nirvana's. I have too many other unfinished projects and did not want to get into building and/or modding the Victorias. I just wanna sail - no fuss, no muss - RTR.

Now that I see the RC Laser and have read about it on Steve's site, I am back to square one again, trying to decide where to start.... I wasn't planning on spending over $1k for two boats, but these boats are so durable and are able to handle the salt chuck/high winds & waves. But if I'm trying to form a club, then a less expensive boat would be easier to entice new members to join
Looks like I will need to review my priorities.

Art
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy101 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.
Looks like things may be getting off the ground here.

I'm not familar with all the local municipal regulations as far as sailing RC's in lakes and ponds, but here are a few that may be suitable, if allowed:

Vancouver - Trout Lake, Lost Lagoon(ideal for wind - if allowed)
Burnaby - Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake (too shallow, weedy?), Central Park ponds?
Coquitlam - Como Lake, Lafarge Lake
Maple Ridge - Alouette Lake, Whonock Lake, Rolley Lake
Richmond - Minoru Park

I'm sure there may be others, but those are the ones I'm aware of.
Hi Scratchy, thanks for starting this thread. Yes a club or even a loose group to sail with would be nice in the lowermainland. I've sailed on Como and viewed Lafarge. On a past google search I discovered there is an unofficial club that sail sun. morn at Como (I was there on week days). Rolley was also good as was Wayward lake in the same area but pretty far from us, but really nice day trips in the summer. 99.9% sure Lost lagoon (stanley park) is a no no. There is in fact an official club at Central park ponds, but don't believe it is sailing, just scale.

Anyways my work schedule is all over the places days wise so it is hit and miss for me, and sometimes it's dead and sometimes it's too busy, but I may be able to meet up on certain days. Seems there are a few of us around to make it happen. I have my RTR Paradise and a Victor Mary J Ward for build. I also have a tug and a streamliner (like a criscraft runabout).

I will say I'm not much for competition i.e. racing, just more a sport modeller, but never say never lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casy View Post
scratchy there is a group that sails in the Boundry Park off Scot Rd they sail Victoria's primarily they were sailing weds and sundays that may have changed I don;t sail often with them now as I don't live there any more but I am still friends with some of the group and we E mail fairly regularly tell them Doug sent you some will still remember me casy
Holy crap, I can't believe this, I live less than 10 minutes from this pond you mentioned (Boundry Park) and had no idea it was even there. Awesome!!!!

Man thanks for that, it's raining cats and dogs but I will head over there and check it out today when I'm out.

Were there ever any problems with the locals or the city when you sailed there?

Thanks

Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Hi Scratchy101,

I built a T27 last year and have been sailing it on Lost Lagoon, central park in burnaby and deer lake. Central park has a club but they have mostly motor boats. I would be happy to join you to create a model sailboat club.
tippeycanuck is offline Find More Posts by tippeycanuck
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2011
163 Posts
Thanks Tippey.
Central Park is mostly motorized vessels and with the tall trees, not ideal wind for sailing.
I'll let you know when I get my Nirvana in the mail, and we can setup a meeting place.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
Ladysmith Vancouver Island
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
I know there are 1 meter guys in the lowermainland... the few I know of run with B.A.M.M. in burnaby at central park ...

I know they are there cause they've come over to Van island a few times to run the racing series..
Reckless is offline Find More Posts by Reckless
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
163 Posts
Thanks Reckless,

I've been e-mailing with BAMM. Apparently they are building their own 1 meter hulls.
My work is a 10 minute walk from their pond in Central Park.
They meet on Wednesday & Sunday from 8AM - Noon.
I missed them this week on Wednesday (they went home early due to the cold).

My thought was to create a club with RTR's (such a Nirvana) which would appeal to more newbies, than a scratch built one meter.
Then branch out into more advanced models, once the club numbers are built up.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
My boat is not an RTR, it is a 27 inch wooden boat, built from a kit. Took me almost two months to finish!
tippeycanuck is offline Find More Posts by tippeycanuck