HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
I just need to clarify something, you state "Brokerage Fee at the Door $22.32 cad" which I assume is the "brokerage fee" + the "taxes due" as it is a US manufactured product so there are no duties, correct?

Now, if one ordered this shipped "UPS Next Day Air", do we know what the cost would be? Reason for asking.... UPS does not charge "Brokerage" on Next Day Air items, ONLY the outstanding taxes that are due.

Using your order it cost about $55 to have it shipped to your door instead of $15 as our friends down south pay. That means a difference of $40. I spent about $26 in gas to drive down to North Dakota to pick mine up, and it took 3+ hours of my time, meaning I only saved $14/3 hours so I *made* less than $5 an hour as a driver.........<sigh>. I think I'll pay the difference for home delivery, unless I have other packages to pick up at the same time. If someone could check out the Next Day Air cost, I'm pretty sure it will amount to the same as Ground + Brokerage so why not get the better service for ones money!

Regards

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Okay wife went shopping i got a few minutes . The Good and the Bad

1 : Cost Foam was $25 US or $25.50 cad
Shipping UPS $35.31US or $36.22 cad ( I know Bad idea but had to try them )
Brokerage Fee at the Door $22.32 cad

Total $84.04 cad or $5.25 a sheet

Now we could ship USPS for between $39 -41 and then another fee is hit or miss at the border . So far ive been charged on 1 of about 15 packages ive shipped . Pretty good odds .
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,199 Posts
Christian i just looked at the UPS bill Brokerage was 17.25 the rest was tax .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,658 Posts
Chris: congratulations on being the first International recipient of MPF! Glad it got there in decent order (finally!). The punch in the end of box is a new damage mode as far as I've seen. Did it get far into the foam? Also, the "crease" on front surface, did it telegraph to the foam? Just today, we discussed what changes we might make to the boxing to improve surviveability, so anything you guys can provide will be useful and appreciated. I don't think I can do a test of the nextday air pricing unless I get another order for Canada, but I'll keep that in mind. I think we can select the type, get a cost and then reset if we want. haven't tried it on a shipped order, tho...

I assume taxes are VAT taxes? and therefore a straight percentage? The brokerage fees, would they be the same for the same item regardless of destination in CA or vary according to some (no doubt arcane) formula?

Also, regarding USPS, Is there a way to find out the fees before actually shipping a box? I got the USPS cost, but these fees.....
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
kaptain_zero is right that there should not be any duties. May want to start clearly marking the product as made in USA and it should pass free under the North American Free Trade Agreement.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:18 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,199 Posts
USPS doesnt charge any Fee what happens is that Canada post randomly spot checks items coming across the border and accesses the Government Taxes and a handling fee . UPS does this on every item . Through USPS via Canada post ive had 1 item that has been charged the handling fee . In reality every item should just be handled and have the taxes applied but Canada post being Union i dont see that ever happening .

The Creases on the box didnt seem to cause any damage . The corners on all the sheets are slightly compressed not that bad . The tear in the end scuffed 7 sheets total some just surface and the worst torn about 1/2" in . I really like how durable the surface is compared to DT foam .
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:19 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,199 Posts
No NO there wasnt any Duty
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
I just need to clear up one thing here..... Canada Post does NOT SPOT CHECK items... in fact it does not check ANY items for duties/taxes. All incoming parcel post gets diverted to Customs Canada who does the inspection. The Customs Canada inspectors decide which packages they want to investigate further and release the rest back to Canada Post for delivery. The packages they retain for further scrutiny are then assigned the correct duty and or taxes based on either the customs sticker declaration or based on what they find if they decide to open the package and look inside. Once this is done, they attach a customs form to the outside of the package (yellow, clearly marked "opened by customs for inspection" tape to reseal the package, if they have opened it) and add an additional $8.50 handling fee which is paid to Canada Post for collecting the money, doing the paper work and accounting and of course handling the payments which might be by credit card or cash. Canada Post does not have anything to do with what gets dinged for extra payments or not... they just send the whole container to Customs when it arrives and then deliver as appropriate when Customs releases those items back to CPC for delivery.

I have noticed that some states seem to be more carefully scrutinized than others for whatever reason.

Private companies do not have the same arrangment with Customs Canada and so to be on the up and up, must assess taxes/duties to each and every parcel they bring across the border. Their brokerage charges borderline obscene, considering they wave them for next day air shipments, but such is life I guess.

Regards

Kaptain "Setting the record straight, as best I know it" Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
USPS doesnt charge any Fee what happens is that Canada post randomly spot checks items coming across the border and accesses the Government Taxes and a handling fee . UPS does this on every item . Through USPS via Canada post ive had 1 item that has been charged the handling fee . In reality every item should just be handled and have the taxes applied but Canada post being Union i dont see that ever happening . .
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,658 Posts
Wow, complicated! thanks for the update! So possibly the $41 via USPS/CanadaPost might be the best deal more often...?...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,658 Posts
Looks like we will be at the Toledo show with a table in the Swap Shop area Friday and Saturday, for those interested. We'll be selling single sheets there along with boxes. Still seconds at this point, but as those of you who've seen them will attest even our seconds are way better than fanfold, eh?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:12 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Wow, complicated! thanks for the update! So possibly the $41 via USPS/CanadaPost might be the best deal more often...?...

I'd still like to see the "Next Day Air" quote from UPS. As mentioned, UPS does not charge a "brokerage fee" for Next Day Air shipments, so it is possible that UPS might be a few sheckels less than USPS *if* the postal package gets dinged for taxes by Customs Canada.

The only way to decide which way is best, is to get the quote from UPS for next day air service and go from there.

Regards

Christian
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Speaking of seconds at the Show... is there any update on a possible next shipment from the manufacturer?

Regards

Kaptain "Impatient, to a fault!" Zero
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:10 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,275 Posts
I don't like the name 'Seconds' being used for this foam.
After much thought I have come up with:
Specially Engineered Completely Optimized New Design Standard.
As that is a bit of a mouthful, the acronym could be used.
That would be, let's see... SECONDS.
Oh no! Back to the drawing board.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:08 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
I don't like the name 'Seconds' being used for this foam.
After much thought I have come up with:
Specially Engineered Completely Optimized New Design Standard.
As that is a bit of a mouthful, the acronym could be used.
That would be, let's see... SECONDS.
Oh no! Back to the drawing board.
Oh no! is right. LOL

I work in the auto industry, which is rife with acronym speak. It is frustrating whenever you hear something new, your left wondering what did I miss.

Still, very clever there Whiskers!

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Looks like we will be at the Toledo show with a table in the Swap Shop area Friday and Saturday, for those interested. We'll be selling single sheets there along with boxes. Still seconds at this point, but as those of you who've seen them will attest even our seconds are way better than fanfold, eh?
There will also be some amazing planes built with MPF

I am going to have a table.. hopefully right next to the MPF guys to show off my kits. First time for both of us!

I think it will be pretty dang fun.
SGTalon is online now Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:18 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
I like the term Blems.
SGTalon is online now Find More Posts by SGTalon