SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:13 PM
Noobie to the R/C World
United States, MI, Benton Harbor
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Discussion
Buying from Banana Hobby

I would like some opinions from other customers of BH before I buy a BlitzrcWorks EDF Thrust Vectoring F-16. I am a beginner, and I've heard this jet is good for beginners. Anybody like to help me out?
JohnCorbin is offline Find More Posts by JohnCorbin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
Apart from the hundreds and hundreds of posts on this and other sites from people at their wits end dealing with Banana, read this reply I gave yesterday on another thread.

If you buy from them after reading this, then don't even think about moaning on any forums when it all goes wrong - which it probably will.

Their answering service is bad, their delivery is bad, their products often arrive with missing parts or broken, their after sales service is worse than bad - those missing parts will probably take months to arrive, and then will likely be the wrong ones. All the foregoing can be read post after post on this forum alone

MY Post Yesterday:

Kydawg1

I trust you placed your order without seeing my earlier post.

Sorting this will take a chunk of time out of your life and keep your blood pressure up for sure.

Go into battle with them (that's the only way you stand any chance whatsoever) knowing it's going to be tough, then you will lose less sleep as the aggro develops.

This is my earlier post:

Thank god I know of Banana's reputation or I could have become another of their 'Victims'.

Everything you need to know before dealing with this poor excuse for a business is summed up by the reply to steve1814's question - I'd like to order this, but would like to know if it is "in-stock". THEY REPLIED WITH AN ANSWER IN UNDER 12 HOURS!!!!!!

Contrast this with the literally hundreds of posts on the web where customers cannot get a reply in MONTHS!!!!!

A typical rip-off merchant - eager to help before you buy and couldn't give a damn after you have bought it.

This is all such a great pity as they advertise some cracking planes ( which never seem to arrive complete or in one piece.)

I don't know the owner - is he a likeable incompetent who shouldn't be running a tea stall alone a trading company, or is he a sharp practise con merchant who should be disbarred from trading?

I don't know how it works in the USA with your BBB, but in the UK, they would have so many CCJ's (County Court Judgements), the sheer weight of costs and compensation would have put a small company like this out of business.

Anyone who reads these forums and buys from Banana has no right to complain on any forum when it goes T**Ts UP for them.

Have you got the message loud and clear yet, John?
howcar is offline Find More Posts by howcar
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:50 AM
Noobie to the R/C World
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
I do get the idea. Thank you very much. Where is a good place to buy from then? Im purchasing tomorrow.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
John

Sorry I can't help you with another supplier as I'm in the UK.

I suggest you Google the name of the product, find some suppliers, then Google each of the suppliers names followed by words such as 'bad', 'rubbish', 'crap'
'trouble', etc and see if anything comes up for them.

Remember, one or two complaints can be expected about almost any business, however good they are.

Apart from Banana, who are in a league of their own, I guess most of the big, well known names, should be OK.

Good luck.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 05:55 PM
Noobie to the R/C World
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Thank you very much howcar for helping me. I will do that actually now.

Anyone else know any though?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
John

Just spotted this on a post from 2 weeks ago, if it's of any help.

CALIBER30DRIVER - I have been buying a lot of planes from Nitroplanes and I am very pleased with the service that I get from them. Fast shipping and getting the exact items that I ordered, just to name a few.
My flying buddy ordered his planes from banana hobby and suggested that I should give them a try, I was skeptical at first because of so many bad comments about them from rcgroups. But finally decided that I will order one to see.
I placed an order for an f-18 on June 30 and finally received the plane on July 12. The airplane arrived without battery which I paid for. I tried to call but could not talk to a human being about the missing item.
Well, I will order more batteries from Nitroplanes. I should have stayed with the vendor that I trust.
My buddy just ordered 9 more airplanes from Banana hobby and he has told me that his are too missing items. My order was very simple, I deselected the radio, pilot, charger and extra battery.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:28 PM
Noobie to the R/C World
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Alright thanks HowCar. You're a very good help. If I do choose to order from them, for some strange reason, I won't have to worry about them trying to rip me off. My dad has a very good lawyor, who would love to get paid.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
36 Posts
I ordered a F-22 from Banana Hobby. It showed up on time, in one piece, and with everything I ordered.

It flew pretty good until I crashed it the other day. I'll probably order again from them.

Read their return and exchange policies, and decide for yourself.

And BTW... a thrust vectoring F-16 is NOT a good plane for beginners.
gunslinger7186 is offline Find More Posts by gunslinger7186
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:02 PM
Noobie to the R/C World
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
I just thought It'd be fun to fly around and do some flips, before I hit a couple trees.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:41 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
John,

Where did you hear that an EDF jet was a good choice for beginners? EDFs might be a good choice for a 4th or 5th plane, but you need some experience before jumping into the EDF pond.
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:59 AM
Noobie to the R/C World
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
A couple members on here, via PM. But no worries, I am purchasing a SuperCub LP as my first plane. Doesn't look bad, and should help me learn to fly.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
John, I wouldn't take advice from someone (howcar) who has never bought anything from Banana Hobby....

I have bought many things from them, and when there is an issue they resolve them..

And remember, these planes are built in CHINA not by BH

You always run a risk with things from china no matter who you buy from.
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
This post made bluemeane feel bad so i had to edit it.

I stand by my statement of being na´ve and a victim of unrequited love, Its just a fact.
Last edited by howcar; Sep 04, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
How about this thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486460

Again, howcar has never ACTUALLY bought anything or ordered from them (no posts about buying from them anywhere on here)

He just likes to jump on the bandwagon. Look at the fact he has almost no posts... Just order from them if you want, or don't if you don't want to. Just please don't take advice from someone who hasn't bought from them... lol

As for the post above, yeah, stuff happens, shipping damage, quality control at the factory IN CHINA, etc. I don't expect them to open every box and check each item, they didn't build them, they just sell them. And when there is an issue due to shipping or QC issues in CHINA they back up the product they sell. Heck, I asked for a new replacement wing and a replacement servo AND THEY SENT ME A WHOLE SECOND PLANE!!!! Show me another vendor who does something like that...

Happy flying in the future.
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
Last edited by bluemeane; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:55 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,503 Posts
I always check Resellerratings.com before considering a purchase.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Banana_Hobby
http://www.resellerratings.com/store...es_NitroModels
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Hobby_King

Do not begin to think that only people who have problems post there. Some web sites have decent reviews.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store...icopter_Select
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Horizon_Hobby

Some of my trusted places are
WOW hobbies.com
scaleflying.com
helidirect.com
But I'm a heli guy mainly. I would not trust eBay too much either. I ordered an F22 once and ended up with an F-35 with a weak 50mm motor.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Sep 01, 2011 at 08:07 AM.