HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined Mar 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
It has to be under 2cm thick. I'm not sure what a jiffy bag is, but if I wrap it in bubble wrap, it quickly gets over 2cm.
A jiffy bag is really a bubble mailer in different sizes, and are cushioned inside, so they are prefect for shipping the kit, as you can still wrap them up (for extra protection) and fit them inside the bubble mailer

Mike..
hooleydog is offline Find More Posts by hooleydog
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
I'm getting one of these radios. Since (from what I've read on the forums) firmware issues are quite common, I was wondering if there were any instructions that covered the actual flashing of the firmware?
Obeebee is offline Find More Posts by Obeebee
Old Dec 06, 2010, 10:42 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeebee View Post
I'm getting one of these radios. Since (from what I've read on the forums) firmware issues are quite common, I was wondering if there were any instructions that covered the actual flashing of the firmware?
For most basic purposes the firmware that comes with the radio is perfectly adequate. Some special programming in the firmware has problems, and recently there was a batch of Txs with problems in the FW that showed up as faulty display. But the vast majority of these transmitters are running well on the original firmware. My point is not to discourage you if you really want to do a firmware upgrade, but to say that the chances are you don't need it.
There is a whole thread devoted to firmware upgrade:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:03 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
OB,

Everything you need, should you choose a 9x, and choose to try a custom firmware, is right here:

Have fun.

P.

Edit, oops sorry, redundant, did see that d66 had left the link also.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
Thank you!
Obeebee is offline Find More Posts by Obeebee
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:49 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
hardware anomaly
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Dec 16, 2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: uneccessary post.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Pat, it is an issue with yours... not with the design. AFAIK, nobody else is having the problem. So either I screwed up on yours, or the damaged EL panel you mentioned in email is the culprit, or its not connected correctly, or something's up with the way your radio is powered... or some combination thereof. Don't worry - we'll figure out which.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:17 PM
LI, NY,
Joined Oct 2008
1,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Um, hate to be the one that brings the bad news, but there is an issue.. I will be posting on er9x google issue forum, but just a heads up. I flashed the newest version r284 from today. Installed the S_Mack board and el backlight. The TX randomly reboots when light is either turned on or switches off by either time entered or by manual switch..... It has done this at least 20 times in the last .5 hour, and it will not reboot if light is not activated.

Just keeping people up to date.

Steven has been awesome with me concerning customer service issues. And I am certain this issue will be resolved.

P.
I just installed the stand alone El Driver and panel. I'm getting the same thing. I'm on my way out and when I get back I'll take a closer look but the radio is resetting itself.
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:49 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Hmm... now that makes very little sense, since the stand alone has nothing to do with the reset. Let's get to the bottom of this. Suggest we use this new thread in my blog to hash it out.

- Steven
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Sivry
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Hello,
Would you have the exact procedure for upgrade by flashing
my radio turnigy after having installed the kit smartieparts?
In advance thank you for the infos.

(I have averdude and eePe)

Cordial handshakes
radiocloclo is offline Find More Posts by radiocloclo
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:13 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Ignore avrdude... just use eePe.

For instructions see http://code.google.com/p/eepe/ and in particular follow ghosthb's "Quickstart" directions the basic idea. I just noticed that it appears his instructions assume you have my board (nice!) since it mentions USB. That should probably be clarified.

If that doesn't help you, let me know.

- Steven (SmartieParts)
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:54 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Sivry
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Hello,
Perfect the software eePe functions correctly and I could charge the eeprom and the flash.
Now, I have another problem, the radio reset constantly!
Did somebody already have this problem I believe?
How to solve that.
Thank you to help me.
I wish a Happy new Year to all.

Greetings.
Claude
radiocloclo is offline Find More Posts by radiocloclo
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:50 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
I am happy with Turnigy 9X as it comes. I am not a technician and I don't know how to use such a gadget, anyway.

Only modification I made is 2S LiPo battery instead of 8AA. It keeps beeping to warn low battery voltage. I don't mind. It reminds me that TX power is switched on.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:13 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocloclo View Post
Hello,
Perfect the software eePe functions correctly and I could charge the eeprom and the flash.
Now, I have another problem, the radio reset constantly!
Did somebody already have this problem I believe?
How to solve that.
Thank you to help me.
I wish a Happy new Year to all.

Greetings.
Claude
I'm not sure what you mean by "constantly" but it is probably related to this problem. From what we can tell, some of the radios have a problem with their voltage regulators and can't handle the extra tiny draw for the EL backlight and it resets. There are some solutions suggested there. One thing to try (to confirm this is your problem)... plug the radio in with the USB and does the problem go away? Or at least it doesn't reboot as often? then go into the menu and turn OFF the light. Problem stops? If so, then you have the problem and should see the link above. If not, then it is something else... possibly a poor connection (but probably no if you were able to successfully flash the radio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
I am happy with Turnigy 9X as it comes. I am not a technician and I don't know how to use such a gadget, anyway.
Then one might wonder why you posted here? Nobody's telling you that you must buy it or use custom firmware.

Quote:
Only modification I made is 2S LiPo battery instead of 8AA. It keeps beeping to warn low battery voltage. I don't mind. It reminds me that TX power is switched on.
Now I'm telling you that must use custom firmware! That beeping is going to get OLD quick. If not for you, then for anyone within 100 feet of you!

- Steven
Last edited by s_mack; Dec 29, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:53 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:

John, I've seen you post on RC Model Reviews, so I know you know about the resistor mod that XJet has posted there to change the low battery alarm for a 2S lipo: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery3.shtml
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John