HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:10 AM
Registered Flight Addict
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Aug 2013
587 Posts
It depends on what lipos you are running, I run my 300mah way back with about 3-5mm showing. I'm yet to try my new 450mah lipos, but they're shorter and wider but seem to balance out at the same spot. Now for some nicer weather would be great.
The_Reaper_83 is offline Find More Posts by The_Reaper_83
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2014, 09:01 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Reaper_83 View Post
It depends on what lipos you are running, I run my 300mah way back with about 3-5mm showing. I'm yet to try my new 450mah lipos, but they're shorter and wider but seem to balance out at the same spot. Now for some nicer weather would be great.
I'm using the stock Eflite pack and some NanoTechs:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=37571
ChickenDrumstick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:06 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick View Post
Where do people locate the battery in the battery tray? I know the CoG is listed in the book and recommends the battery quite far back. But is this what people do?

I had been flying mine with the battery more forward and liked the way it went. But I've decided I want to learn some more 3D orientated flying, so I started trying to harrier.

Moving the battery back and setting the CoG spot on certainly makes this easier. But I'm not sure I like how it flies in forward flight as much.
Go by people's CG measurements, not where they mount their packs. Due to normal manufacturing variability, pack location for a given CG can vary quite a bit between samples. Also, many of use a variety of packs with different weights.

I fly mine with the CG at 19mm most of the time, which provides neutral, uncoupled handling. That said - CG is not a number. Rather, it is a range. There is no single balance-point that will provide best performance for everything. This is true for all fixed-wing aircraft. As is the case for everything else in aircraft design - it's a matter of compromise.

A slightly-aft CG reduces directional stability - which improves 3D performance, but degrades precision flight & makes the plane more 'darty' in turbulence. A neutral CG typically provides the best unlimited aerobatic performance. A slightly-forward CG typically provides the best precision aerobatic performance. A forward CG increases directional stability - which improves wind-penetration, but degrades aerobatic performance. With the CG at the neutral handling point, there is zero throttle-pitch coupling, zero rudder-elevator coupling in KE, and the plane flies exactly the same upright & inverted. A forward or aft CG will introduce throttle-pitch coupling, make the plane fly differently upright vs. inverted, and cause rudder-elevator coupling in KE. Pick your poison.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:21 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,838 Posts
I am rebuilding my Beast to do my own mods (and replace the fuselage.) I decided to move the brick back to the rear, to the back end of the foam cutout. I did this to allow myself to place the heavier battery farther forward.

Has anyone done this? Am I asking for trouble here?
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,819 Posts
Relocating the brick a bit further aft should not adversely affect the operation of AS3X (provided that it's mounted level & square with respect to the fuselage), and many people use these bricks in scratch-builds. However, mounting it back in the tail will amplify any vibration from the motor/prop - and these planes are already quite sensitive to that.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Yesterday at 05:49 PM.
Old Today, 06:00 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,838 Posts
Thanks, Joel. I'm just moving it back an inch--not too far aft, but it will be a bit out of line of CG. I'll report back after I fly it.
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000