SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:42 AM
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Oct 2013
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbedy View Post
U

I did a parametric model in openscad in anticipation of putting tilted mounts on all my quads.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:694160
Put 13deg mounts on, adjusted naze tilt, and did some test flights.

Hover testing inside, quad is less stable requiring more work to keep it still.

Speed testing I went from 93km/h to 98km/h.

I'm going to stick with no tilt.

Before:
Speed Testing Baby Beasts: http://youtu.be/dfqUChpEO9s

After:
http://youtu.be/Em6bNqjjIqg
Sorry to quote myself but you're the first to agree with my initial assumptions about this.
In my case there was a speed increase but not as significant as others are suggesting.

If you have any data on different frames/tilt you could share I would appreciate it. It's immediately apparent when you bolt tilt mounts on that there is going to be compromises in efficiency.

I haven't found the need for tilt with 2.1mm lense.
Gibbedy is offline Find More Posts by Gibbedy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:28 AM
Team Warpsquad
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,693 Posts
It's interesting because tonight I actually installed some tilted motor mounts on a frame I'm experimenting with high power levels. I did this to test out some tilted mounts for myself and also because I physically can't tilt the cam anymore. Tilted mounts gave me more forward speed but at the cost of handling issues amount other things. Designing a frame which allows for my needed extra camera tilt would negate the need for tilted motors and not have the same issues they have either.

In summary tilt the camera first. If you run out of tilting options or can't tilt it at all then tilt the motors but be prepared for some side effects. If you can't tilt the camera to a reasonable angle then you should really rethink what frame you fly.
Final Glide is online now Find More Posts by Final Glide
Old Feb 25, 2015, 07:57 PM
Team Warpsquad
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,693 Posts
I would also put that IMHO 35deg tilt is pretty much more than enough than anyone would want. Frames like the Blackout Mini H allow for up to about 25deg tilt and is really nice but with the high power setups, another 10deg would really help.

Funny enough that is the exact angle Soma set his Z-Pod at 8 months ago before most had even found setup with enough power to warrant it.
Warpquad 'Z'-Pod FPV Maiden (3 min 56 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 04:33 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jun 2012
221 Posts
Ah man that thing was quick... I flew it a couple of times, it was the quad equivalent of an F1 car for sure.

Of course, you've been playing with something equivalent recently too haven't you FG?
Strepto42 is offline Find More Posts by Strepto42
Old Feb 26, 2015, 05:09 PM
Team Warpsquad
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,693 Posts
Yes.....yes I have

Speed test (0 min 27 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 09:33 PM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,880 Posts
Flying at a local beach this week and there was a guy demoing a Phantom 2 for a camera crew.

Of course I buzzed them with my 250 quad, of course it's 4s and it sounded crazy! It was strangely satisfying, I feel like I can finally shuffle off this mortal coil a happy man!

No hard feelings, the guy with the Phantom found me later and he was very excited about the racing quad and the FPV setup.
Matty12 is offline Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
26,183 Posts
"Permission to buzz the Tower?"

"Negative, Ghost Rider - the pattern is full"

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64