SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2002, 06:30 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Hobby People Sale...What Gives?

Looks like Hobby People are having a sale, but the prices look the same to me. What gives?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/specials/summersale1.asp
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
Last edited by HavingFun2002; May 31, 2002 at 06:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2002, 06:44 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Totally mixed up.
On around page 6 or something (can't tell) for the "world's smallest RC car" the price on the sale page is $24.99!
when you click on it and go to the info page the price is $19.99

I like their product selection but hate their site. For that reason I only buy there when they have something no one else does. Too bad. Nice people with good service.
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old May 31, 2002, 10:32 AM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
I have to say feel the same way there Website is AWFUL ordered a F-86 not seen it yet and have heard nothing from them???? I got to the point I started a thread about the worst Website the post police found it and stuck it in the venders forum.
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old May 31, 2002, 01:40 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
It looks like your right. A lot of them are the same if not more. Kind of like their price tags that they put on everything " was $xxx now $xxx"
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old May 31, 2002, 10:34 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
However the RCM trainer comes with a free engine if your into glow (same price at Tower without engine) but most of there sales saves you $2-$5 wich does not make me jump, However there are some good deals now and then.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old May 31, 2002, 11:00 PM
CA and NH
Joined Oct 2001
449 Posts
It's one of those dirty tactic to tricks people into thinking it is a sale so that they buy, in fact most of the prices are the regular everyday prices. Do Hobby People take us for idiots?
xadmin is offline Find More Posts by xadmin
Old May 31, 2002, 11:07 PM
Chemically Corrected
San Diego, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
682 Posts
Yep, most of their last "Sale" was items at the catalog prices. And their latest flyer seems to be just catalog prices. Chime in anytime Mike.
Grapeape is offline Find More Posts by Grapeape
Old May 31, 2002, 11:21 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
718 Posts
hmmm...I just received my first purchase from HP and I am extrememly happy! Last Saturday I ordered 2 Wedgie's;.....good deal at $39.99 each. Received order confirmation, shipping confirmation and delivery confirmation! Got it in 3 BIZ days. I happen to be extremely happy with the transaction. I look back and see the price went back up though .
Maybe I was in the right place at the right time?!?
rpm3 is online now Find More Posts by rpm3
Old Jun 03, 2002, 02:07 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
I got that email-sale message from HL....looked over the stuff...noted it was BS spam.....and bought another plane(not even listed) instead! Their tactics most definatly work. :-/

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 03, 2002, 03:24 PM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
I've never had a problem ordering from Hobby People. Don't have an opinion about their sales, as I haven't really checked 'em out. Their website leaves a lot to be desired. My $.02

-chris
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
Old Jun 03, 2002, 03:42 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
I've never had a problem as well. My only issue as sales items being the same price, it's a bit misleading.
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:48 PM
Fountain Valley, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
500 Posts
Sorry so long.....

I'd like to address some of your comments. Whether moved to the vendor section or not, I still end up reading most (not all ) posts about us....

Summer Sale.
This is part of a special promotion through our wholesale department for our nationwide Retail-Leaders network of hobby stores. If you go to www.retail-leaders.com, you can see the entire list of dealers who are participating. Many of you may shop at a local hobby store that will have these same items at the same prices. Hobby People is simply one of the Retail-Leaders participants.

Here's some facts:
1. Hobby People did not actually mail this flyer, but the prices in it are good from the 1st to the 16th. That is good for the stores, the web, and for phone/mail orders. Those dates and prices also stand for all participating Retail-Leaders hobby stores. (Again, check the retail-leaders.com website.)
2. Many items in it, are in fact, much, much lower than our normal everyday price. Like, for example, the Seamaster boat at 20.00 off reg price.
3. In the flyer itself, we are usually pretty clear as to which items are discounted off of the daily mail order price. For example, on the cover, you'll see an item for 119.99. Above it, it says "Cut 30.00" That means the price is 30 dollars lower than our regular everyday prices. In other cases, if the price is lower, it might also say: "Reg. 12.99", like for our z-Bender pliers.
4. Sometimes the items picked are simply there showing you that we have them, not becuase the price is necessarily lower. Sometimes they are there because they are new (usually they say "new"), sometimes just because we feel they have been overlooked. With so many items, that happen very frequently. And, as happens sometimes, if any items are going to go up after the sale, (for example, a supplier raises their prices), you know this price will be good at least for the duration of the sale.

Please understand, we have only the best intentions when we make these flyers. They are created to either show you product you may have not known about, new product that has just arrived, and also, of course, I think some pretty incredible prices on some very key items.

One other point. We do not spam. We do not buy other people's mailing lists, we do not sell ours. It is private. Our list is only created through your request for mailings from us. At any given moment, if we send you a message in error or one that you do not want; or, if you simply change your mind and do not want to be on the list, you can easily remove yourself from the list by following the directions included in each email. We take privacy, email mis-use, and of course, simple error, very seriously.

Your comments, both good and bad are always welcome and appreciated by us. You'll notice my email is made public as well as all of our service emails on any proprietary items you buy from us. So, we are here to listen to your comments.

-Mike
Mike Greenshields is offline Find More Posts by Mike Greenshields
Old Jun 03, 2002, 11:29 PM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
Thanks for addressing the issues, Mike. I'll say it again; Hobby People's website has some room for improvement.

- Searching can be quirky at times.
- Site barely works at all with JavaScript disabled.
- JavaScript menus are buggy and poorly layed out on the site.
- Many items don't have pictures or descriptions. This includes planes. I can't imagine buying a plane without first seeing the model.
- Descriptions, when available, are often vague.
- Items that fall into several categories are often listed under only one category, making it difficult for a potential buyer to browse the products.

You guys carry some great stuff. I'd just love to see it displayed better. Makes it easier to sell.

-chris
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
Old Jun 04, 2002, 12:36 AM
Fountain Valley, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
500 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. We are working on more pics, more info, and better organization all of the time. I'm amazed at the quantity that is added everyday. 99% of that has to be photographed, adjusted, optimized and place on the web, one image at a time by our staff. Manufacturers supply us with very, very limited amounts of the info & images. Sometimes, our staff almost feels like they try to hide it!

As for organization, we have just recently written new software that allows our staff that may not be able to program, but who are very knowledgeable about the hobby and what we sell, to re-orgainze/categorize our products. Our in-house programmers are quite creative. I have huge respect for them and what they do and what they want to acheive.

We have tens of thousands of active skews, so updating organization/categories is still quite a daunting task.

While not perfect, the website has many unique and quality features. Daily it is improving and being worked on everyday by many people. I'm really quite excited to be a part of it.

So, take advantage of the good prices, maybe check out some of the extra stuff we have like our hobby community section, links, etc. And, then maybe the next time you purchase something from us, let me know how it went. I'm sure even very soon, you'll continue to see many new improvements.

OK, I know it sounds a little "rosey" but we are more aggressively working on our website now than at anytime in our history.

-Mike
Mike Greenshields is offline Find More Posts by Mike Greenshields
Old Jun 07, 2002, 02:53 PM
We got planes to build
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
521 Posts
The one gripe I have about their website is that there was no way to enter a billing address that is different from the shipping address. As a result my credit card authorization failed.

However, within 10 minutes of having placed the order a very nice lady called me and we updated the billing info on the phone. The order shipped that day, and I had my two new battery packs before the end of the week. I give them two thumps up.
dmiller is offline Find More Posts by dmiller