SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 26, 2012, 09:21 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,207 Posts
Didn't do a build video as this was a cake assembly and as usual I was too impatient to setup a camera inside. the only thing that I think someone should video is the tail wheel wire linkage assembly, I'm not 100% sure I did it right, but it works, I just threaded the wire through the holes and the brass tube a few times and crimped it.

Have you tried ur flapperons yet, besides ur take off lol. What % are you using? I fly in super small fields and need to scrub speed quickly else I hit trees.

My ailerons were also warped tipped down, ima use carbon like you did to straighten them out, but am going to install them inside the edge making a slit.

Am going to maiden today instead of Memorial day, wish me luck!
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Yeah, I'm not really pleased with the tailwheel. I did what I thought was a pretty solid installation of the pull wires and the clamping, but after about a dozen or so flights, the wires (they really aren't wire - more like strong thread. Don't try to solder. I experimented with that) stretched, and maybe they pulled through the crimp a little, but in any case I practically have no ground-steering now. I'm looking for some tiny steel springs to use instead, but haven't found them yet.

I've played with the flaperons a little bit, but haven't had much success with them. If you lower them too much, the plane's not very controllable. If you raise them enough to where the plane IS controllable, then they really don't have any effect. I've given up on them for now, but may play with them again sometime.

I haven't quite gotten to where I can land the plane consistently well. It's fairly unforgiving if you stall it when you land, as it will either slam down hard or try to snap roll on you if you aren't really polished and precise (does not describe MY skill level!). It really can't be flared, because when the main wheels touch the ground, they are so far foward of the CG that it forces the tail down, which in turn causes the plane to go up. It's really easy to get into a porpoise mode -especially with the sensitive elevator, leading to nicked props, bent gear, and scraped wheel pants. I've learned to basically fly it onto the ground in a level position with essentially nuetral elevator, and when the mains are solidly on the ground, cut throttle and let the tail set by itself. The problem with doing it this way is that you have to land a little hot, and the landing roll is fast and loooong - which also is a problem when you have poor tailwheel steering. If you bounce when you touch down, don't try to salvage the landing. On the first bouce, full power and go around. I'd really like to hear from others how they land their planes. I usually wheel-land my cub without problem, but its so slow you don't have the other problems.

As for expo, here's where I currently have things set: 100% throw on all surfaces, but 60% expo on everything. This is really just my starting point. Winds have been so gustly lately that I haven't really been able to work on trim and expo settings. The elevators are really sensitive, so I'll probably crank up expo on those when I get around to it.

Good luck on your maiden! I can't wait to hear your experience.
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 01:47 AM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,207 Posts
Okay I have mixed feeling on this plane.

Maiden went REALLY WELL inverted needed almost no sticks, mine glided really well, snap rolls were very snappy. She was hard to hover, but I expected that.

Where my mixed feeling are is my following flights which were not filmed, she would porpoise at slow speeds all the time, I couldn't get her to track well at all after the maiden! I admit it was a windy day today, but maiden went oh so well. I think I need to add more weight in the front.

Seems mine doesn't really tip stall when I chop the throttle, she glides real slow.

Oh well, here's the maiden vid.

Aerosky 55" Extra 330SC Maiden Flight (5 min 43 sec)
Old May 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Congratulations on a great maiden, queadlunnrau! Sorry to hear follow-on flights aren't as nice. Mine has always flown consistently. It goes exactly where I tell it to (which is not necessarily always a good thing), and tracks like an arrow. I should probably check my CG again - The ballast I had on the firewall came loose a while ago, so I took it off. It wasn't that much weight, and the flight characteristics didn't seem to change much. Maybe your battery is shifting in flight?

Nice landing. I think grass would really help. My flying site requires landing on pavement, which is one reason the roll-outs are so long, and why it tends to bounce and porpoise if I'm not careful.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Re: ESC

I didn't see anyone reply to your post, Hitech, so I thought I would add my 2 cents. I wish I had some usable info for you, but I have no clue who makes the ESC. As you can see from my earlier post, I don't even know for sure what the amp rating is for it. I'm guessing you asked the question because you might have had an experience similar to me when I first powered it up. All the servos worked when I plugged in the battery for the first time, but I got nothing out of the ESC - Not even the beeps that count the number of battery cells. I had the transmitter on, with the throttle pulled all the way back. I then unplugged the battery, put the throttle in full up position, grabbed hold of the airplane, and plugged the battery back in. Same story as before. I then unplugged, pulled the throttle back to off, and plugged the battery back in. At this point in the story, I kinda loose track of what gyrations I went through. Somewhere in the process, I think I pushed the throttle stick full up and then full down, and at some point got a couple of long beeps, which I took to mean it had entered programming mode. Not wanting to screw anything up, I unplugged again. The next time I powered up, with the throttle all the way back, I got the traditional four beeps for the four battery cells, and it worked as you would normally expect. It would be nice to have better instructions!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:21 AM
Planes, need more planes
United States, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Feb 2006
866 Posts
I received mine yesterday. The plane seems to be very nicely engineered. All bolt-up construction with great fitting parts. I am using a 4 cell 2200 pack with an external BEC and a 2 cell lipo for Rx and servo power. This is a beautiful airplane. I did use two light springs for the tail wheel. I will try and get this plane airborne this weekend. I am surprised how little interest there is in this airplane. It is really a pretty thing. The pilot is the nicest scale pilot I have seen bar none.
flyguide7 is offline Find More Posts by flyguide7
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
STATUS TUNING
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Dec 2010
293 Posts
looking at the SBACH pics they look to be the same as the HK sbach which also flew like a champ.
STATUS is offline Find More Posts by STATUS
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS View Post
looking at the SBACH pics they look to be the same as the HK sbach which also flew like a champ.
I was thinking the same thing, but from what I've read and seen they are different.

The HK Sbach is 130mm longer, and heavier. Somewhere I read the Aerosky Sbach had hinged surfaces, but looking at the pictures and parts listing pictures it doesn't seem they are. Also if the hinges are anything like my Extra 330SC, they don't have much throw.

I have the HK SBach and it's litterally my best flying plane, hovering and KE manuevers are cake on this plane, though I only have the Aerosky Extra 330SC and not the Aerosky Sbach to compare.

I just wish HK would sell parts for the 1400mm Sbach like Aerosky does.

Don't get me wrong I do love my Aerosky 330SC, after fixing my porpoising issues, too much play in the control surfaces, fixed with shrink tube on the control rods, it flies nice.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:32 AM
Planes, need more planes
Joined Feb 2006
866 Posts
Well I finished mine last night. I will be using 2200 mah 4 cell and an external BEC with a 3 cell 1000 mah lipo for Rx and servos. Cg came in on 85mm. So tomorrow I will give her a try.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
My New Tailwheel

As I had mentioned in a previous post, the stock tailwheel on my Extra just wasn't cutting it. I was at Home Depot the other day and saw a variety box of small springs, and that set the gears turning. I started experimenting with a variety of tension springs directly connecting the tailwheel to the rudder, but they would always end up not pulling hard enough, or not stretching far enough to be able to connect. They would also impinge on the rudder itself when the rudder was deflected. So I started experimenting with some compression springs and pushrod wire. The result is the tailwheel in the pictures below. I have to say, it turned out great! I've got enough play that I can wiggle the rudder on the ground without stressing the servo, but enough tension so that when the airplane is moving, it tracks perfectly with the rudder. I have way more control than I had with the original, and I don't have to worry about it getting looser with time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Anxious to hear about your maiden, flyguide7!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
This model looks so sweet. Wish I would have seen this before i bought my 3DHS Extra EPP. Oh, well. Looks like I might be breaking out the credit card on this baby. Looks great.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a330-red-arf.html
ledouxmike is offline Find More Posts by ledouxmike
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:24 AM
Planes, need more planes
Joined Feb 2006
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
Anxious to hear about your maiden, flyguide7!
Sorry RX I had some unexpected business I had to take care of. No flying this weekend. : (
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
Any more vids guys?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of the orange and black SBach?? Not many pictures out there. thx