SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:01 AM
IRH
Flyby
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Help!
New Heli radio for around Air Force Base?

Info on which Heli radio to buy around Air Force Base that flys alot of UAV's? Don't need any problem with them or with me while doing my home aircraft setups. Would like make, model, # of channels, ect....THKS.......!
IRH is offline Find More Posts by IRH
Last edited by IRH; Nov 13, 2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
JR or Futaba... Hitec sucks for helis (high latency & low resolution)

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:40 AM
IRH
Flyby
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
I'll checkout JR systems right now. So, what about transmitting next to a U.S. AFB and glitchs?? Thanks for quick reply..
Last edited by IRH; Nov 13, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Nov 2009
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRH View Post
I'll checkout JR systems right now. So, what about transmitting next to a U.S. AFB and glitchs?? Thanks for quick reply..
If you get a 2.4Ghz radio, you will be operating in the same portion of the spectrum as your wifi router so you will be fine unless your router has interferance
Rumbleweed is offline Find More Posts by Rumbleweed
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:38 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
664 Posts
A.F. Bases and Major Civil Airports

An AFB or a major civil airport can have a heck of a lot of active high power microwave transmitters. (Mainly Radar) Besides that, flipping certain toggle switches to "active" on tactical fighters and a few other military aircraft can be hazardous to proper operation of even military UAV's.

If that isn't enough, The military often does it's own frequency usage managment. They tend to follow the FCC and international agreements most of the time.

The highest power levels that I am aware of (on the ground, anway) actually came from Army AA systems that can be deployed to "help protect" airfields from attack. Lets say that you don't want to be anywhere in the open near the tracking antennas when the systems are active.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:31 AM
IRH
Flyby
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Sweet! Thanks. I new with the UAV's over head I'd best be on top of it. Yes my router had had problems at first when it came out, but much better today. Info on the 2.4Ghz very helpful and great starting place. So, Heli radio, 8 channel or better, 2.4Ghz, JR or Futaba. I'll let you know the one once I get it ordered. Thks.... for your responses.... truly helpful.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:59 AM
oops crunch
Joined Jan 2004
49 Posts
go old school 35hz, fly on a low band say 56 and you should be home free as you are then well away from the interfernce range. for heli go JR I can say this advice as i have flone of mod active airfleds for about 7 years the only interfernce i have experinced was 2.4gh and ch60 -ch80 on 35 but that we suspect was from a local club not sticking to tight frequincy control
mouse is offline Find More Posts by mouse
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:02 PM
IRH
Flyby
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
K, guys! need more info on this 35hz, low band 56??? idea, what a curveball. I wasn't ready for it. Was ready to go 2.4Ghz JR or Futaba......
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,072 Posts
When I worked on base, they had a strict NO RF TRANSMITTERS rule (posted right next to the notice about surrendering firearms at the gate). You might want to check with your base commander first. You would be much smarter to get away from the base 5+ miles so there are fewer issues to deal with regarding altitude and control.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:31 AM
IRH
Flyby
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
My home is 2 miles from USAFB, 10 miles from town and 20 miles from r/c strip.. Moving not an option. The R/C setup's will still be at home, then go to strip.. Also not trying to satisfy everyone that's impostible. Just trying to buy best radio to head off problems with the UAV's and USAF. I don't work for DOD anymore retired. Restarting an old Hobby with all kinds of time to relearn, flown in past. I don't need a mega radio.. but with that said I'd like to buy smart, rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:55 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,072 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood.

There's nothing wrong with using a 2.4g radio then. If you're 2 miles from base, you're probably another mile or two from the runway. About the only thing I'd worry about is if you're under an approach or departure route in that case. Just my opinion.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:06 AM
IRH
Flyby
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Not a problem, must have all the feedback I can get. Yes, touch and go's are the problem mostly right overhead and low. I've come to love it, but don't want glitch's for them or me. JR or Futaba Heli & planes, 2.4Ghz, # channels, mod1 or mod2?? be flying 500 size mostly. THKS...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,072 Posts
The DX8 is a great heli radio. The latency is pretty close to the DX7SE, a heli-specific radio we sold until a few months ago. John Adams used one to place quite highly at the Nats this year in some big heli class (I forget which one, I think it was for .90 (700) size).

The DX8 is also a great airplane radio.

Mode 1 or 2 is up to you. Most heli pilots, even if they fly airplanes in Mode 1, still fly a heli in Mode 2. The US is very Mode 2 oriented, so getting a Mode 1 here is probably not your best choice if you are going to get help from anybody locally. You may find there's a club tied to the base - check the AMA website www.modelaircraft.org for clubs local to you. You may not need to travel 20 miles!

Whatever you do, hold the radio in your hands first. Buy what's popular at your club and/or hobby shop. They'll be your first line of help if you need it.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:14 PM
IRH
Flyby
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
K, best bang for bucks? DX8, X9503, 8fg super... Thanks guy up to me now.??
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:30 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,245 Posts
Me Ill go for the 8FG/S, right now you can get it with an extra (free) receiver from Tower Hobbies http://towerhobbies.com/products/futaba/futk8010.html and you can also use a coupon for an extra $65.00 off.

My son flies the Futaba 12fg over at Eglin AFB no problems at all.

Best regards,
Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV