SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2014, 05:33 PM
Canada, ON, Simcoe
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Help on Atlas Van Lines Hydro resurrection

Hi all.
Getting back into RC boating after many years out of it. I got this Atlas Van Lines 40 hydro kit # 1304 for Christmas probably when I was about 15 years old (that's many moons ago). I built it, ran it & enjoyed it. For some reason I got out of it...
I've now gotten back into RC starting with planes and now back into boats.
I want to get my old Dumas AVL in the water and want to tap into the wealth of knowlegde that is out there to help me.
I have stripped it down to the wood again and am going to repaint it.
My Atlas Van Lines 40 :
36" length
14 3/4" beam
ran it with an Enya .35 V nitro motor with self-made cooling coil- ran nice & cool
Dumas hardware pack-straight shaft with universal joints

I can pretty much get going again in this configuration with the nitro motor but am thinking about switching it over to electric.
For electric thinking of:
Turnigy XK4074-B-1400KV Brushless Inrunner - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._inrunner.html
Turnigy Aquastar 120A esc
2 x 5000mah 3s in series

Questions:
1) should I switch the straight shaft drive to a flex cable?
2) am I on the right track with the motor, esc setup?

I know it's an old, heavy boat but I'd just like to get it going again with minimal cost. I'd like to hit 30mph, if more, that's great!
I like the older boats because they have personality, they're not the same as everyone else has.
Any & all help, input, advice is appreciated as I am relatively new to this again.
Thanks!
ErieMusic is offline Find More Posts by ErieMusic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:00 PM
Joined May 2012
384 Posts
Mostly looks good but I would use a 180 amp esc, could probably get away with the 120 but it won't leave you much headroom. They pull a lot of amps on take off, once it's up on plane the load drops.
I really wanted this boat as a kid! Still have my old Dumas Deep Vee 20, the old Hotshot met a terrible death on the rocks, AM radio days......
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:04 PM
Joined May 2011
87 Posts
Looks good. For some reason I really enjoy restoring old boats (or planes or cars) and bringing them back to running status. I did a couple of old HotShot .21 boats a year or two ago and have enjoyed running them. Let us know how this works out. I have another tunnel I'm thinking of setting up as electric.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:47 PM
Canada, ON, Simcoe
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.
Sibe, I was wondering about an 180a esc over the 120. Better to have more than you need than not enough, right?
Which 180a esc would you suggest? I've read bad things about the Turnigy 180 and even worse on the Hobbyking 180 esc. I am trying to keep this on a fairly low budget (I do realize the more speed I want = the more money I spend).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:05 AM
Joined May 2012
384 Posts
HMM HK is no longer showing the one I was going to suggest.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...seaking-180-v3
or
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=hef-HB60220L

either of these have a pretty good track record, the 180 used to be sold by HK as well, it's a rebranded HobbyWing sold as a Turnigy, probably one of the most popular escs out there. Next step up is a major jump in price to the European stuff, Castle no longer does boat escs.
Check out the offshore electrics forum and store, good bunch of people and Steve stands behind what he sells, if you have a problem with an esc he will make it right.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 01:50 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,047 Posts
I am a big fan of the Hobbywing/Seaking v3 ESC's that Sibe mentioned. I have had good luck with them.

I would go flex shaft, just because it offers more flexibility in adjusting strut angles and heights, but many of the classic 1/10th round nose boats around here do run straight shafts, so it can be done that way. But I would use a .250 flex shaft.

I don't think you will have any problems hitting 30+ mph with that motor on 6s.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:34 AM
Canada, ON, Simcoe
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Thanks, cyberhoops. I am leaning toward the Seaking, they seem to be easier to get than the Swordfish.
Still working on prepping it for new paint. I am thinking I'd like to put it right back to the original white with Atlas Van Lines scheme but I may have a challenge trying to find the original decals. The Dumas website has some AVL decals but not for this boat...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 02:11 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,292 Posts
Definitely a 180A ESC required.
But if you haven't bought the motor yet, you might give the Dr Mad Thrust 4082 1400kv motor a thought. A much more efficient motor with a max power rating of 3700 watts. I don't think you will be pulling that much power, but the Turnigy is only rated to 1775 watts & you will probably be running that motor near its max in a heavy hydro of that size, so it will get hot.
It's 20 bucks more, but a much better option in my opinion.
I've run both Turnigy & Dr Mad Thrust motors of various sizes, in various boats (although not the 1400kv) but the Turnigy motors don't have the power or efficiency of the Dr Mad Thrust.
A heavy boat needs a motor with torque & the EDF motors are designed for that.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_EDF_8S.html

Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:45 PM
Canada, ON, Simcoe
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
I'd never seen the Dr. Mad motors, looks pretty good, lots of power, not much heavier. May have to give it a try.
Thanks for the heads up, Paul.

Thanks to everyone so far for their input, it's all appreciated. I'll probably be hitting you all up for more as I get deeper into this.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:19 PM
Joined May 2012
384 Posts
http://thunderboatgraphics.com/
you can try here, 36" is just a bit bigger than a 1/10 scale, maybe, depends on the dimensions of the original....
Think you want to look at the 70 or 71 atlas.