HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:58 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Discussion
Swindell Rudderless Vertical

Has anyone used the Swindell vertical in a rudderless configuration, and would like to comment? I've only used or seen them hinged.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2013, 11:10 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Denmark, Region Zealand, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Has anyone used the Swindell vertical in a rudderless configuration, and would like to comment? I've only used or seen them hinged.

I have used them rudderless on Twister2 and works fine for me.
Still stronger than the look.
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Dec 04, 2013, 11:12 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,151 Posts
Where do you buy one?
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Dec 04, 2013, 11:47 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
Where do you buy one?
http://www.bowings.co.uk/index.php?r...&product_id=52

Old Dec 04, 2013, 01:10 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
743 Posts
I use them rudderless on my Twister and Bonus (the Bowings DLG) and they are the bee's knees.
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Dec 04, 2013, 01:18 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG View Post
I use them rudderless on my Twister and Bonus (the Bowings DLG) and they are the bee's knees.
Twister 2 or 3?

Old Dec 04, 2013, 01:21 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
743 Posts
Twister 2, the ones I used at the 1st Worlds in Sweden. Don't see why they wouldn't work just as well on a T3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Twister 2 or 3?

MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:22 AM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
Hi Guys

I have found an old thread rather than starting a new one to just let you know we are no longer manufacturing any of the swindells tailsets.
Richard has been too busy with his day job for a year now, so I have been making them, but now Reuben is taking up too much of my time, i am also hanging up the building gloves. I just have talking and timing to look forward too now

I want to say a big thank you to all our customers over the last few years, and dont forget we are still stocking the fabulous stream

Looking forward to seeing some of you guys next year in Croatia.

Best
Hayley
BoWings is offline Find More Posts by BoWings
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:00 PM
PWR
Denmark
Joined Oct 2006
98 Posts
Hi Hayley

I still see the tailsets on your website.
Is it because you have some in stock, or because you have not yet had the time to update the page?

Sorry to loss some good tailsets

Palle
PWR is offline Find More Posts by PWR
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:30 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
Hi Palle

There one right handed red stripe set remaining, and that is it.

BoWings is offline Find More Posts by BoWings
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,587 Posts
Hayley:

Many thanks for the tail sets you sold me in years past. They have all been wonderful.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 04, 2014, 06:45 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Our whole adventure into manufacturing F3K models has overall been enjoyable and we have learned so much.

Hayley and me first started with the idea back in 2008. After having got hold of two sal-peters as my main model, I knew the delivery times were 12 months + and consequently was so concerned about damaging them that I flew too conservatively to place as well as I would like.

On a long drive home to the UK from the german open in Munich we hatched a plan to start building our own molded models so we would never have to worry about having spares.

Over the few months I taught myself enough to start building (and selling) the "Swindells" tails. Demand was so high that we struggled to find the spare time to continue developing the rest of the model at the speed we initially planned.

Eventually our first prototype of the sabotage was produced and I flew it for a few rounds at theBruce in 2010, managing 1st place in the prelims, 2nd in the flyoff and 1st team prize with Mike Stern.

At that event I had a look at Olegs current "special" taboo (cnc milled core which was bagged). As we had built up a good friendship over a few years I decided to see if oleg would be happy to use the wing design on our production version of the sabotage.

Production proper started in the lead up to the 2011 World champs, with Hayley's son Liam flying for the UK juniors as well as getting models ready for other pilots I simply did not have the time to practice as much as I would like.

The results showed this! However team UK had a great result with Mike Stern flying to 3rd place with a model using our tail-sets.

2012 saw our family grow with the arrival of Reuben, so development was again slow, but we manage to finish off the year with the release of our solid-core version of the sabotage... renamed the Bonus.

2013 was very very busy getting models ready for the uk Team. I had virtually no flying again myself leading up to the World Championshipsand was still finishing off my own models at the campsite before the competition. Not surprisingly my performance was affected but yet again Mike pulled some great flying out of the bag to make the BONUS the highest scoring model on 3 out of 5 days of the competition.

Unfortunately I was starting to loose enthusiasm for the hobby. Almost all of my spare time was not building models for other people and I flew only a handful of times in the following 12 months myself. My models were our factory 2nds and they were getting beaten up now.

This was not how we had planned things!

This summer we took the decision to take some time out from building. I ordered a Stream as out of all the models I had flown against over the previous year, this had what looked like the most potential.

In the week following my maiden of the model I put in more flying than possibly the previous 2 years! Finally realising that I prefer flying to building and going to the last two competitions of the year really fired up and wanting to win.

With some major changes in my day-job over the last year meaning I am now able to practice for an hour every lunch time, a growing son and 16year old daughter also mean that family time is very important. Finally Hayley and Me found building models becoming a chore.

We both decided to get back to enjoying flying, competitions and trips abroad with the family and to quit manufacturing models.

As Hayley mentioned, we have not wrapped up selling models, we are now distributing the Stream.

So in the end the plan has worked, as I finally have a house full of perfect F3K models to choose from!
Richard S is offline Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:19 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,587 Posts
Richard:

Good for you. I had to make a similar choice some years ago, and it worked right for me. I think you have done the right thing, too.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Nov 04, 2014, 09:02 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
491 Posts
Thanks Hayley and Richard! I am still harbouring two of the three verticals I bought from you in Arboga - which I will now have to hang onto as classic DLG parts. I think Hayley had barely finished sanding them! Hope you both get some more spare and enjoyable time back now.

Hugh
floquet is offline Find More Posts by floquet
Old Nov 05, 2014, 05:18 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
Many thanks Hayley and Richard!

Enjoyed a few Tail sets (+ accessories) of yours and now wish you luck & joy flying.

All the best!
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne