SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Discussion
Somethin that makes me go hmmmmm..

I have lot's of time on my hands, so as I was sitting here at my "station" here at the kitchen bar I was looking at my new Fun Cub perched on my couch and had the thought of checking out my new flaps in action with it's cool slow down action. I didn't feel like getting up and walking 10' to hook the lipo up and got to thinking..Just for the heck of it, for no reasonable reason, I ask this. What would it entail to have a setup in your plane like a remote start in your car? Lipo plugged in ready to power up by turning on your tx and hitting a switch. Told y'all I have time to spare, retirement and a bad fuel pump. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Last edited by zeezee; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:20 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Having an electric plane armed and ready to takeoff at a moment's failure of some component... will add some excitement to your life.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:22 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
High Capacity 12v SPDT 50 Amps Automotive Relay
http://www.theelectricaldepot.com/hi...-each-432.html

HS Compact Handheld Transmitter
https://www.linxtechnologies.com/en/...ld-transmitter

Receiver Module
https://www.linxtechnologies.com/en/...itter-receiver

Plus a couple transistors and other small components to complete the circuit.
The only problem is the weight of the relay.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,773 Posts
How about a 10' pole ?

You are joking, ,...................aren't you

(I don't know if in the States you use the same comment as we do regarding a 10ft barge pole).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:14 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
How about a 10' pole ?

You are joking, ,...................aren't you

(I don't know if in the States you use the same comment as we do regarding a 10ft barge pole).
Yep, we use that expression...and I would not touch this with a 10' pole, either...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Would the model be sitting in a designated spot in your garage/shop, or would you like to have an any where, any time capability? If the latter is your goal, then how long would you want it to sit at the ready (minutes, days, months?)
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Aug 2012
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Yep, we use that expression...and I would not touch this with a 10' pole, either...
Kinda the point of the question...you wouldn't have to touch it
bigblueswope is offline Find More Posts by bigblueswope
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueswope View Post
kinda the point of the question...you wouldn't have to touch it
lol!!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:52 PM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Actually, I read on the internet that someone made an on/off switch controlled by bluetooth technology. You can use an app on your smartphone.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
No, I'm not kidding, just sorta killin some time, maybe getting an answer, doodling in my head. A car is "armed" RTG at a moments notice. Turn the key. I have NO plans to do this just wondering. BTW, some nuts have made fortunes doing nutty, at the time, things. Just havin fun, boredom leads to being a little nutty and too much time to think. We have some very smart guys out her-there......Look what happened to Tesla......ZeeZeeeeezzzzzz
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Or 39.5', whichever you prefer.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,994 Posts
Can't find the photo I took so I'll have to 'splain it:

If you want to get a lot of BIG grins, paint those Fun Cub wheels like a couple iced donuts with sprinkles.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:21 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,537 Posts
Silliness aside, I think this idea sort of self-defeats from pretty much any angle. It would require an onboard receiving device that's always powered, which works fine for cars and garages but not so well for models.

The only real advantage would come in the form of having a "hardwired" throttle cut device, which would physically disconnect an arming switch or relay somewhere in the plane to prevent current from reaching the motor by breaking the circuit rather than just preventing a power-on signal the way a throttle hold would. In this case, I would think the best course of action would be to use a pair of large servo-actuated 2P switches to disconnect two of the three motor leads, which would avoid problems associated with directly switching the battery but would safely and effectively prevent the motor from starting. This would also avoid the requirement of a separate BEC.

... But the whole previous paragraph is sort of not what you meant
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:57 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
That was a good idea to have a large servo pull-push a "bullet from motor. If I did something like this I would hook all up once during the flying day and unplug at finish, unless I had a charging station with a port I could taxi the plane into at the end of each flight "sorta like inflight refueling" and charge at 5C while I chilled with a cold beverage. zeezeeD
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Starting from a conventional setup, the following is in addition.

I would put a single toggle on one of the ESC leads, and pull the switch arm by a servo. That servo is controlled be a small six channel RX that is bound to the same memory slot as the main RX. That RX will be powered by an external 6 volt power supply, via an extension with the female end mounted externally. The battery cable would also be wyed, with one end mounted to the exterior near the RX power cable. This will be the battery charge lead.

It would work like this. The battery is plugged in at the standard batt/ESC connector with the switch and servo in the OFF position. At this time there would be no power anywhere in the system. You then plug the 6 volt power source into its connector and plug the cable from your battery charger into its socket. At this point there is power to the auxiliary Rx and servo, and the switch is still OFF. Activate your charger. When it is done charging, turn on the TX and flip the switch that activates the servo. Now there will be power on to all of the main systems, and the auxiliary. When the ESC has finished arming and you have done your preflight, taxi away from the station, which will unplug the umbilical cables. At this point the main system is flight ready and the auxiliary has no power (which prevents an accidental disconnect in flight.) Go fly. When the flight is over, taxi back to the charge station, plug in the auxiliary, flip the TX switch to cut power to the main, attach charge cable. Activate charger, open frosty beverage...