HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:27 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
My brother happened to break the metal gear shaft as well after PLOWING it into a wall. He breaks everything, so when I found out the x1 was practically indestructible, I gave him a 2 week window to break it. He did it in 2 days!

I think he said he used a vise to hold the plastic piece in question, then used guitar/piano wire held with pliers to push the broken metal piece out. Drilling it out will be a problem because, unless you glue it, you will make the internal diameter larger that the shaft and it will not stay "press fit" onto the new shaft.

@jam: yes; oh yes; hell yes. (make sure to use type:acro)
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:52 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Grounded View Post
My brother happened to break the metal gear shaft as well after PLOWING it into a wall. He breaks everything, so when I found out the x1 was practically indestructible, I gave him a 2 week window to break it. He did it in 2 days!

I think he said he used a vise to hold the plastic piece in question, then used guitar/piano wire held with pliers to push the broken metal piece out. Drilling it out will be a problem because, unless you glue it, you will make the internal diameter larger that the shaft and it will not stay "press fit" onto the new shaft.

@jam: yes; oh yes; hell yes. (make sure to use type:acro)
LOL!

So, let me see if I understood this correctly. When you guys said "broke the shaft", did you mean the shaft snapped and became two pieces?!?

Well, if that's the case, what I described earlier would not work, because you have the gear attached to one piece and the limiter to another. Wow, I just didn't think breaking a shaft like that was possible. You guys must live in very cold places.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:12 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
The shaft sheared where the hex piece starts. When it broke, it looked like the prop came loose and just flew off causing the gear shaft to fall out too. Upon inspection, we noticed the hex piece still screwed to the prop and that it was a break and not something loose.

If you look in the parts picture, the shaft is cross etched at each end to provide friction to hold the nylon parts, and it sheared right where the etch start at the prop adapter end, which makes me think that particular shaft was weakened during the process of producing the cross etch.

Yes, it is freezing here in Florida*!

*freezing=too cold to go surfing
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:13 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Deleted.
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:15 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Welcome to RCG, Jamboxboy.

Most definitely. The 9x and its equivalents is must better constructed. The basic controls are much more precise. Every channel and every rate is programmable. The range is much better than stock. And you could program other models in the same radio. The list of benefits goes on and on.

There are more than one 9x available. There are also the TH9x with a different antenna configuration and lots of people prefer. So, check out post #2 of this thread for a list of compatible radios to compare their features and prices.
What he said.

I discovered the 9x through my interest in the X-1. It turns the X-1 into something more than the toy I got for Christmas. The 9x is a radio you can modify and grow with. Now I fly all my planes on it. I'll never go back to the Spektrum DX6i that I as using previously. There is quite a big forum on it in R/C Groups.
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Last edited by Randbo39; Mar 07, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Quote:
The shaft sheared where the hex piece starts. When it broke, it looked like the prop came loose and just flew off causing the gear shaft to fall out too. Upon inspection, we noticed the hex piece still screwed to the prop and that it was a break and not something loose.

If you look in the parts picture, the shaft is cross etched at each end to provide friction to hold the nylon parts, and it sheared right where the etch start at the prop adapter end, which makes me think that particular shaft was weakened during the process of producing the cross etch.

Yeah, I remember some guy from AZ said, "It is so cold today, I put on a shirt." LOL

Wow! That break was something to behold. I think what I would advice this group to do is: Whenever you buy the shaft replacement (with gear), buy also the plastic end cap limiter. It's too much work to get it out just to reuse an old part. Don't you think?
Last edited by Heli Pad; Mar 07, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:49 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:

What!!!! Suck it up Bra! It's never to cold to surf. Get your hoodie and booties and get out there. We're still surfing up here in Jersey (just gotta avoid the roller coaster, boardwalk, and houses that got swept out to the sand bars during Sandy)
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
308 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I remember some guy from AZ said, "It is so cold today, I put on a shirt." LOL
As if the weather over there closer to the coast is that much worse

I'd blame our "cold" weather on my own X1's demise but since it was a high of 80 last Saturday when I had it out I don't think that would work.

I guess I talked too much about the X1 being practically indestructible and it decided to prove me wrong. Last Friday I went ahead and replaced the two front arms with the replacements I got the screaming deal on. I didn't bother to put new props on but just with the new unbent shafts it was flying much more stable again so Saturday I was looking forward to taking it out for some spirited flying at one of my favorite parks.

As soon as I woke up I headed up there and sure enough had the park to myself with no wind! First I got out my v911 for it's first taste of a bigger field - had a blast with it but learned quickly about flybar strikes Was a big fan of the v911 until I got it out where I had enough room to really fly it and ran into that little drawback. And sure enough I got it up real high getting ready to do a dive and see how much speed I could get out of it...but when I nosed down for the dive I got a strike and it fell right out of the sky. Result was one of the blades bent in a 90 degree angle. Oh well, still had the X1 and my nutball in the truck...I was really itching to try the nutball but saw a park crew truck driving towards me rather suspiciously so figured the X1 would be a little less intimidating in the air next.

Just as I was about to get the X1 airborne the truck pulled right up to me and someone called out "Hey!". Uh oh, I thought...someone doesn't like RC at this park....I went over to talk to them...only to find that it was one of my friends who works for the city part time as one of his jobs! He wanted to see just what this crazy bee I had in my hand was

So wanting to show off a little I put my 9x down and got out the stock TX for that flip button. Had a bit of fun showing off for him (and feeling out how long my new Tigers batteries last) but kind of forgot I was on the stock TX and had to watch my range.

I started climbing to see if I could pull off another manual loop like I did a few weeks ago. I didn't think there was enough wind..but with spectators I was emboldened to try anyway. And then just as I was almost as high as I wanted to get (maybe 40-50ft up) the X1 just fell out of the sky. All I can figure is it was TX range...I had already noticed that if where I was standing was on home base of a baseball diamond I could barely get out of the infield without loosing signal with the stock TX that morning. So 40-50ft was probably about my limit.

No biggie I figured. I've had worse crashes than that and it was onto nice soft muddy ground. Nope. Picked it up and at first glance it looked ok so I tried to fly it...but one of the new front arms propellers just wouldn't spin

Took a closer look and realized the reason was one of the blades had bent (in an eerily similar way that the v911 blade had bent - only in the other direction) and was catching against the arm keeping it from spinning.

Oh well. Looks like I finally have an excuse to put new blades on it

And with 2 of the 3 aircraft I brought with me now grounded I decided to give the nutball a try. And actually had some of the best fixed wing flights I've had yet! So at least my day ended on a happy note. (and the next morning I was treated to more still wind and took the Nutball back out to the desert where I managed to fly an entire pack without crashing despite doing several practice landings. I think I may finally be getting the hang of this fixed wing stuff!)

I've also noticed further damage to the bottom of the rear arms on my X1, and some small cracks in the main frame that are letting one of the front arms fall out under spirited flying. A little hot glue took care of that...but it looks like I may have pushed this poor little X1 as far as it can go.

It's still totally flyable...but I can't see spending money to put a new frame on it given how cheap the whole thing is. Will probably just be used as a trainer for my wife and friends now...though only having flown through 1 of the 5 new batteries I got I still feel kind of like I should pick up another or bite the bullet and get a new frame. Then again maybe I'll just pick up something else that uses the same battery setup and give it a friend....
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
C'mon, J. An X1 Frame is $1.18 shipped, or 3 for $2.88. You're over thinking it. Just press the "Add to Cart" button already!
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Replacment Transmitter

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...2-p-63784.html
SKU: SKU061399 Transmitter mode 2
WL V911 V912 V929 V939 V949 V959 V969 V979 V989 V999 Transmitter Mode2
I was looking at this transmitter as a replacement for the original one that comes with the 1X because it is said to have 200 to 250 foot range along with selectable rates of 30%, 40%, 60% 80%, and 100% and the flip button for $17.60 . Does any one have first hand info on this Tx from BangGood.
Donzee is offline Find More Posts by Donzee
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
24 Posts
[QUOTE=Heli Pad;24351807]Welcome to RCG, Jamboxboy.

Most definitely. The 9x and its equivalents is must better constructed. The basic controls are much more precise. Every channel and every rate is programmable. The range is much better than stock. And you could program other models in the same radio. The list of benefits goes on and on.

There are more than one 9x available. There are also the TH9x with a different antenna configuration and lots of people prefer. So, check out post #2 of this thread for a list of compatible radios to compare their features and prices.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the warm welcome and the info. I ended up ordering the turnigy 9x. Can't wait!
jamboxboy is offline Find More Posts by jamboxboy
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
How to Bind the Syma X1 Quadcopter to the Turnigy 9X Radio .

Quote:
Hehe, I think if the original poster had a 9x, he wouldn't be complaining about a loose throttle.

Updating the firmware to Er9x will give you all the controls on the beeps.
Hi Heli Pad! I think this YouTube video should have a link on your Page 2 of your thread (next to your Turnigy 9X Radio link

I think all us Syma X1 Quadcopter flyers will find it most informative if you want to bind your X1 to a (Turnigy 9X TX)......

Before its buried in this masive thread of yours Heli Pad...

Hope you guys like this informative YouTube video

How to Bind the Syma X1 Quadcopter to the Turnigy 9X Radio (14 min 8 sec)
richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Thanks Helipad. Quick update. I initialized after inserting battery and upside down. Seems better. Guess timing matters. Now it kinda oscillates left and right. May have something to do with prop wash.
Wildgeezer is offline Find More Posts by Wildgeezer
Last edited by Wildgeezer; May 22, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Thanks, Richos. I watched it, and it was in fact an excellent, informative video. I couldn't have said it better myself. So, it has found a permanent place in Post #3 FAQ. Thanks, for sharing.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgeezer View Post
Thanks Helipad. Quick update. I initialised again. This time quickly after inserting battery and upside down. Seems better. Guess timing matters. Now it kinda oscillates left and right. May have something to do with prop wash.
I'm glad to hear that proper initialization helped.

I just couldn't emphasized initialization enough. As soon as you plug in the Lipo, you need to set the X1 down on a LEVEL surface, not just a flat, but level surface. Otherwise, you would have all kinds of trimming issues. If it helps you do it in a timely fashion, locate the battery leads first. Set the X1 down before you connect the battery up. So you could just connect it and leave it alone for 15 seconds.

Good luck, WG. Happy flying. See you around.