Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:18 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Secondly...

My backup camera is a T2i and im willing to put it in the air with the kit lens. With kit lens its 26 Oz. Think these motors will lift it comfortably?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6246

Thanks
Nightstone
I have dt700s on a scratch built h quad and I think it would be borderline if it would even fly with an additional 730 grams on board.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I have dt700s on a scratch built h quad and I think it would be borderline if it would even fly with an additional 730 grams on board.
My estimated weight without a camera is 931 grams ( Thats with a 3000mah Battery ). At full throttle the motors put out 3600 grams of thrust. 931 plus 737 grams for the camera\lens is 1668 grams. So im at 46% of the quads total lifting power.

Is there a ratio or formula for quads and lifting?

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
My estimated weight without a camera is 931 grams ( Thats with a 3000mah Battery ). At full throttle the motors put out 3600 grams of thrust. 931 plus 737 grams for the camera\lens is 1668 grams. So im at 46% of the quads total lifting power.

Is there a ratio or formula for quads and lifting?

Nightstone
It's really hard to get that low on the weight unless you are using smaller props which will affect your lifting capacity. Like I said dt700-10x4.5 combo weighing in at 1200-1300 grams is a tad sluggish. You can run bigger or more efficient props, but then your frame is going to get heavier. Also the more you push the more important your ESC becomes as well.

Probably, yes, but ecalc would indicate you are more in the range of 77% of throttle with 11" props and would have a 6 minute flight time. Going with a 200g GoPro drops that to 58% throttle and a 10 minute max flight time.

DT700 prop efficiency testing thread. You will see a big difference between 50% max lift and lift at 50% throttle.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594904
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,131 Posts
I think brontide is on the ball. Phew... I don't need to answer that question. Thanks for your solid contribution, brontide.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
It's really hard to get that low on the weight unless you are using smaller props which will affect your lifting capacity. Like I said dt700-10x4.5 combo weighing in at 1200-1300 grams is a tad sluggish. You can run bigger or more efficient props, but then your frame is going to get heavier. Also the more you push the more important your ESC becomes as well.

Probably, yes, but ecalc would indicate you are more in the range of 77% of throttle with 11" props and would have a 6 minute flight time. Going with a 200g GoPro drops that to 58% throttle and a 10 minute max flight time.

DT700 prop efficiency testing thread. You will see a big difference between 50% max lift and lift at 50% throttle.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594904
Thanks man...

I did go bigger on the ESC's ( New 20a turnigy multistar ). 11 inch props. I also factored in 50 grams for the props and excess wieght in my calculations. The frame i'm going to use is 195 grams. I'm also going to direct connect all the wires verses using a heavier board ( Solder ). So I think i'm going to be pretty close to that weight depending how the frame goes together.

Its not going to hurt to try a dummy load and see if it works. I have a go pro and 3 cameras. Only the rebel has the lower weight and excellent quality.

If not this becomes my learning quad and we build a bigger one.

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciated!!!!

Blue Skies
Nightstone

Edit * I just looked at that efficiency thread. A 12 inch prop would give me 1728 grams of thrust at 50% throttle. The esc's I have can handle the amperage. So it all comes down to how light the build comes out.
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
Last edited by Nightstone; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Yeah, everything I'm seeing indicates that the dt700 really shines with bigger props. I would plan on flashing them to simonK for added stability/lower latency when you get the chance.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
ox5
United States, NC, Candler
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
First of all this is a great thread. I've done weeks of reasearch on rc groups on quads and this is the thread that made it all make sense. Thank you sir! Now some questions? I want to build a quad almost identical to yours but am unsure of the motors you used. The rest is perfectly clear. Well clearer than the sound track on the first video anyway. Also. How much lifting capability does your quad have. I at least want to lift a small keychain camera. Any suggestions. Thanks Roger
ox5 is offline Find More Posts by ox5
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ox5 View Post
First of all this is a great thread. I've done weeks of reasearch on rc groups on quads and this is the thread that made it all make sense. Thank you sir! Now some questions? I want to build a quad almost identical to yours but am unsure of the motors you used. The rest is perfectly clear. Well clearer than the sound track on the first video anyway. Also. How much lifting capability does your quad have. I at least want to lift a small keychain camera. Any suggestions. Thanks Roger
Hi,

The motors I used for that build are these ones:

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-a282212-...ts-p-3994.html

That quad has roughly 2640 grams of thrust. The whole thing weighs about 500 grams. Yeah, you can probably lift a dozen keychain cameras with that.

Have fun building!

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Just been watching the videos again. Just wanted to say thank you again for making them. I had bought an Aerosky H100 and the board keeps going wonky so I've ordered the KK2 from HK. I plan to use the H100 as a learning tool. So right now I'm just flying a little Syma X1 around with a key chain cam on it while I wait for the new board. Thanks again all. Now back to the videos.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,131 Posts
You're very welcome, Tom. Have fun building!

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
The videos are very thorough and complete. I don't think I'll have a problem as long as I stick to the videos but if I do I'll just go back and watch again. I'm gonna try and plug the H100's board into the PC and see what happens. Got nothing to lose. Thanks again.

Tom
Update: Plugged the board into the PC but nothing happened. Oh well, the KK2 will be here in a couple of weeks then I believe I'll have better results.
Last edited by carr52; Oct 21, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Hi,

The motors I used for that build are these ones:

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-a282212-...ts-p-3994.html

That quad has roughly 2640 grams of thrust. The whole thing weighs about 500 grams. Yeah, you can probably lift a dozen keychain cameras with that.

Have fun building!

Best,
Chris
So these are the motors on the little quad in the first frame video? It's a 300mm size quad right? A few other questions:
What props do you use?
What thickness of lexan are you using for the plates?
What's the aluminum boom sizes?
Oh, and recommended battery?

Many thanks in advance.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
Hey Chris!

The Armattan 356 is awesome!!!! I'm already doing flips and rolls. This thing is a Porsche compared to my other quads and it's really strong too. I flipped it into the ground pretty hard and the only damage was a broken screw (plastic) that holds the leg on. I'm very impressed with this thing. I'm ready to try building one for myself.

Thanks again,

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
One question I have relates to is meant by "programming escs?"

How is it done, and for what reason?

I've read that ESCs don't need to be programmed for multi rotors in some places, and in others it should be done.

Some programming I've read deals with brakings, others deal with low or medium start up power, but I can't find a "why and how" for this.

How, and why, and in terms that a rookie can understand.

Thanks for any help.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Thats a good question. Also I'd like to know what is meant by flashing the esc's or the board. As for the esc all I've ever done is put the throttle in the full up position the first time I ever use the thing. The paper that came with the esc said this is to set the end points for the throttle. I have no idea. It said do it so I did.

Tom