HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:02 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm77 View Post
Zero wind today so had a short launch session. Good thing spring is a long way off as I need lots of work and practice on the launch before the season starts.
I'd be thrilled to launch 55m (180')

- Jim
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:06 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
worth a read if you've not seen this before. (openAltimeter project)
Yes, I've looked in on that project a few times. It sounds fantastic, but my funds (or lack thereof ) fit the HK altimeter better. I think I'll skip the bluetooth option for now.

- Jim
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:09 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_uk View Post
Tried it on win8 and it worked fine
Thanks for checking that Cirrus!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:49 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
Yes, I've looked in on that project a few times. It sounds fantastic, but my funds (or lack thereof ) fit the HK altimeter better. I think I'll skip the bluetooth option for now.

- Jim
as long as you don't bury the altimeter too far in your plane, digging it out to plug to the usb connector isn't a drama

in the binary it's ended up behind the elevator servo to optimise balance, but removing it merely needs the lemonRx pulled forward after the 1s lipo gets hoisted
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:05 PM
Splash down counter: 10
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,110 Posts
Made a double xStatiCa cardboard DLG wall mount to hold my 2nd 1.5m DLG. My previous version only held 1. I cut it out and then fold it so that the tabs help hold it together. Another piece gets put into the center of it that sticks out to hold it together. All i need is a used shipping box and some packaging tape. You can see the template I made for the first version which required two pieces together plus a third and then the new version that is one single piece plus another smaller version of the T piece that isn't in the template pic. I left enough room between them so I can open the canopies to charge them on the mount.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Last edited by xStatiCa; Dec 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:21 PM
let's FLY!
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
as long as you don't bury the altimeter too far in your plane, digging it out to plug to the usb connector isn't a drama
Anywhere I put it will require a bit of tail weight....my current plane balances just right with no nose lead. I have to slide out the Rx to unplug the battery after every flight, so it would probably go under the Rx. It would have to really....it's not going to fit anywhere else.

- Jim
Old Dec 18, 2014, 01:20 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
....my current plane balances just right with no nose lead.
so does mine

and even better with the altimeter behind the servo

for the auw of under 3gm, just shove it aft in the pod and if you absolutely must, add under half a gram at the tail end
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:35 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,685 Posts
Xtatica, love that idea!
I have been thinking about wall mount options for a while on and off, seen lots of ideas with tubing and wires none of which i liked, never occurred to me to just cut out some cardboard like you have.
Thanks.
I know what I am going to be doing later on!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 18, 2014, 05:58 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
celebrated the arrival of a stash of foam-tac by repairing the YG bird

and discovered one of the two lemonRx i recently purchased wouldn't bind, but the other would, and so i added 9.7gm of nose weight

and then proceeded to fly it until i (re-)broke the fin

which i intend to fix

however, it flew pretty nicely until i absolutely delaminated the carbon fin support from the epoxy... so i have some hope for it
Last edited by scruffy1; Dec 18, 2014 at 06:22 AM.