HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:18 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,284 Posts
P.S. The backup Twister was so pitch sensitive it was unflyable at the last event. Between some reinforcement in the tail and losing a few pellets, the CG was back 7mm farther than it should have been. It pitched more than Clemens on roids (legal disclaimer - this statement does not implicate the use of roids by anyone named Clemens). Moved it back to 78mm for flying today, and it was a dream (again).

Note to self (and those using removable plug charging jacks). REMOVE the plug when adjusting the CG on the stand even though it powers up the plane. After all the plug is OUT when you fly. Doah
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Man.... look at those biceps!

helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:56 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak View Post
Man.... look at those biceps!

I was looking at the beautiful course - wow! When the temps are a bit lower, I'll bring my bow and try hitting a target instead of thermals. My bow is devoid of any sights or telescopes - real men don't need that kind of sissie stuff. On the other hand, my 35# limbs are not very manly, so please don't tell anyone. I'm only using them to develop good form ...
BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:57 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
P.S. The backup Twister was so pitch sensitive it was unflyable at the last event.
You mean the one that you almost won?

Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:39 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,201 Posts
Very cool!
I've been wanting to get into archery for the past couple of years. I actually did well when I tried it-- well, meaning that I hit the 'target area' LOL and a few 10's.
Plane or bow? Plane or bow? Plane or bow? Man! I'd like to do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle View Post
Charles - here's an example of the olympic recurves we shoot at the Paseo Vista range. Stabilizer bars, clicker, and sight with aperture only. No scope. Finger tabs and no mechanical release.

On the compounds we can use an actual scope (I use 4x), a peep with a clarifier, and a mechanical release that looks like a trigger. The definition of precision. When shooting indoors at 18-meters, if you don't hit all 10's you're out of the running.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,509 Posts
Hmmm, now that my shoulder is happier... I might give it a try again.... what? how much? hmmm, dang!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Hmmm, now that my shoulder is happier... I might give it a try again.... what? how much? hmmm, dang!

Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Very cool!
I've been wanting to get into archery for the past couple of years. I actually did well when I tried it-- well, meaning that I hit the 'target area' LOL and a few 10's.
Plane or bow? Plane or bow? Plane or bow? Man! I'd like to do both.
Both is better - archery equipment is relatively inexpensive compared to a DLG, and lasts longer. Start off with a recurve bow and low-cost carbon arrows, and work your way up. One example:

http://pse-archery.com/products/cate...37.1003128.0.0

If you get into sights and stabilizers and daily massages like Lee, then the costs go up significantly, but they're never outrageous. The biggest temptation is to buy a "manly" bow with high draw force that doesn't allow you to develop good style. Or so I'm told, since I'm just starting.

Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,509 Posts
Sounds like I need to hook up with Lee for some advise on the latest tech and see if I can actually still pull a bow back without injuring myself... ;-))

Charlie
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:19 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Interested ... but .. this year, we had 2 Arizona DLG contests in February (SWC and AZ Open), and there's a good chance that could happen again in 2013. Contact the guys at CASL.net for the SWC, and Shhhh! or Pocket Rocket for the AZ Open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
If I've got a plane, I'll totally do it. Rooms in LV are really cheap right now, and I don't get sucked in by the "glitz and glamor." It'll be like a birthday present to myself! I know there's at least a few other AZ DLG pilots that have birthdays in February.
Thanks Guys for the support and possible conflict schedule. I'll follow up and see what their plans are.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Sounds like I need to hook up with Lee for some advise on the latest tech and see if I can actually still pull a bow back without injuring myself... ;-))

Charlie
Try my "girlie" bow and see how it goes - let's meet with Lee at the range one day.

Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,284 Posts
I'll be there Tuesday afternoon/evening from about 4:00-ish to 6:00-ish shooting. We'll have the club target faces out. Will have a 36-pound recurve (RH) and a 55-pound compound (RH). Can also bring a 22-pound recurve (LH).

Also there most Saturday mornings with the club, so just check when a good day for you comes up.

Check your eye dominance to decide which bow to shoot. It has very little to do with being right-handed or left-handed.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7279460_chec...dominance.html

http://www.paseoarchery.org/
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Charles you are too tall for archery! These bows are for 5' 5" to 5' 10" people. You need to be shorter and powerful - like Lee

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,284 Posts
Yes - a 62-inch bow is a bit short. I shoot a 68-inch bow, and some taller shooters have 70-inch and even 72-inch bows. It's determined by your draw length.

Take arm span from middle finger to middle finger (arms straight out to your side). Divide by 2.5.

As you approach a 29-30 inch draw length, you are on the cusp from going to a standard 68-inch bow to a 70-inch bow. Anyone with a DL in the 26-28 range should be shooting a 68-inch bow (riser plus limbs). 66-inch bows are typically used by juniors and new archers taking classes or developing form.

Anything less else will not give you the "cast" to shoot 50 and 70-meters. Many of the bows used in classes like the City of Chandler classes at the range will only shoot to about 30-meters with any accuracy. But...you can develop form and see if you want to pursue the sport.

But BP is right - short people have less moving parts and fewer stress induced break-downs
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:34 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,509 Posts
Sounds good Charles. I am up for a tryout. I cant throw because of my foot anyway...
Lee, if I get early reserve and don't get called tomorrow I'll be there... (ummm, where is "there"?)

Charlie, ~ 30.75" draw length...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
Charles you are too tall for archery! These bows are for 5' 5" to 5' 10" people. You need to be shorter and powerful - like Lee

BP
That PSE bow was just an example - I use a long Sannick riser and and limbs to end up at 66".

Short and powerful works for DLG'ing, but I'd prefer to be long and powerful.

Can't make it during the week.