HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2014, 08:34 AM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,157 Posts
Discussion
Yellowjackets RC lipo batteries thread

I seemingly am always hunting for another brand of lipo to try. Last fall at EWeek I met a guy flying YellowJacket lipos. I had not heard of them but he was using them and they seemed to work as well as anything else, so I had to try them. At this point I have about 12 of them in 2S/4S/6S. I run some of the 2S as receiver packs in my giant scale stuff, the 4S I am running in my 48" EXP planes from Extreme flight as well as my 6S in the 60" EXP planes from EF. Having run Gens Ace, Thunder Pwr, Glacier and other brands I am pleased with my YJ lipos as they are holding up and priced at or below those other brands I have used. I get them from www.yellowjacketsrc.com so just curious anybody else running these and how is it going.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:07 AM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Dec 2010
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
I seemingly am always hunting for another brand of lipo to try. Last fall at EWeek I met a guy flying YellowJacket lipos. I had not heard of them but he was using them and they seemed to work as well as anything else, so I had to try them. At this point I have about 12 of them in 2S/4S/6S. I run some of the 2S as receiver packs in my giant scale stuff, the 4S I am running in my 48" EXP planes from Extreme flight as well as my 6S in the 60" EXP planes from EF. Having run Gens Ace, Thunder Pwr, Glacier and other brands I am pleased with my YJ lipos as they are holding up and priced at or below those other brands I have used. I get them from www.yellowjacketsrc.com so just curious anybody else running these and how is it going.
Jeff
We have been using yellow jackets for about a year with good results. I've been happy with them and they seem to be equal or better than glacier which we use also. I've been monitoring internal resistance and they are holding up well . We are using the yellowjacket 6 cell packs in our extreme flight 60 inch planes and I'm using the four cell packs for our 48 inch planes and my multirotors.
kevinjulieevan is offline Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:45 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,853 Posts
Same here. Great packs so far! Holding up well!
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
56 Posts
I have been ABUSING the hell out of some of the 2200's now for about a year and am VERY impressed with them. They have a very steep discharge curve at the end of the capacity. They hold a higher voltage throughout the capacity of the battery and drop off at the very end.

Very impressed!

Ernie
Ernie34 is offline Find More Posts by Ernie34
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:21 AM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,157 Posts
Thanks for replying guys, I just started using them last fall after EWeek and so far I have been very happy with them.
Kevin, thanks for the note on the IR as I was wondering about that.
Jeff
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:40 AM
AMA 983978
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2011
232 Posts
I got a set of 5S 5000's I used in a 10S setup and they performed very well, low IR's, always balanced great. Robert at YelllowJackets RC is a great guy, I picked up a Bavarian Demon Cortex from him as well. Quick shipper, right price! He's on my list of +1 vendors in the community.
MikePS is online now Find More Posts by MikePS
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:41 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,460 Posts
Oh, wait! What am I doing here?
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:42 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
3,051 Posts
I haven't had a need for batteries yet, but I will pick these up when I do.

I did get a Cortex from them and the service was awesome. Very responsive!

I like doing business with good people.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:44 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
Great packs and good guy to deal with. Been using them for a year or do now and am very happy with them. Comparable to Gens and Pulse.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:47 AM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
I haven't had a need for batteries yet, but I will pick these up when I do.

I did get a Cortex from them and the service was awesome. Very responsive!

I like doing business with good people.
Same experience here
MickeyMoo is offline Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:25 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
1,900 Posts
I picked up a Cortex to play with. Very responsive to questions, Rob has been a great resource and timely.

Though I have not flown any of his battery packs, I plan to for my electric Outlaw (currently under construction) and an EDF I'm building from a kit.
Others experience here helps me buy with confidence!
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:40 AM
United States, WI, Colgate
Joined Dec 2013
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
Having run Gens Ace, Thunder Pwr, Glacier and other brands I am pleased with my YJ lipos as they are holding up and priced at or below those other brands I have used.
I went to check out the yellowjackets, and they are higher priced than glaciers? In fact other than the 6S 25C which was $6 more, they are substantially higher than glaciers...
f3honda4me is offline Find More Posts by f3honda4me
Old Aug 06, 2014, 12:51 PM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f3honda4me View Post
I went to check out the yellowjackets, and they are higher priced than glaciers? In fact other than the 6S 25C which was $6 more, they are substantially higher than glaciers...
Not really, take for example the Glacier 30C 2600 4S is $33 whereas the YJ 4S 2650 is $47 but it is a 40C battery that is a big difference. Also the 6S Glacier 3700mah 45C is $72 sale price and YJ 6S 3750mah 40C is $75 so a negligible difference in price and C rating at that level. Also compare IR of the two sets, not knocking Glacier I have several of them and they are good lipos at a good price. But the YJ's are worth the try, see for yourself don't take my word for it.
Jeff
Old Aug 06, 2014, 01:01 PM
United States, WI, Colgate
Joined Dec 2013
899 Posts
My glacier 30C 2600 4S actually has an internal IR that put it at about 40C. This is not uncommon with glacier batteries, they are often underrated.

Do you have a YJ 40C 2600 4S battery? What is the IR of each cell? I'm not trying to make waves, I just was surprised at the higher cost when you had said they cost less than glacier is all. I may still pick one up just to test myself as well.
f3honda4me is offline Find More Posts by f3honda4me
Old Aug 06, 2014, 01:08 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,581 Posts
To really compare you need IR measurements taken at the same temperature on both batteries with a good ESR meter. The manufacturer C ratings aren't really that comparable between brands.
I haven't tried any yellowjackets yet, but I may before the season is out.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen