HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:11 PM
United States, NY, Manhasset
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
and your results were.............................................. ....?
I didn't test the stock setup. The n30 with the 75mm prop pulled 1.4 amps. The 12x30mm motor pulled .75 amps with the 75mm prop, and pulled 1.3 amps with the Champ prop. The thrust in both cases seemed slightly less than what you get from the stock setup.

I will say the N30 seems like a powerful motor, with the right gearing and a bigger prop it probably would be a nice upgrade.

I did order an n40 motor from the same manufacturer which is slightly lower RPM. My hope is that I can run the stock Champ prop on this and still keep the Amps low. But honestly, my enthusiasm for the tinkering is fading. I was pretty happy with the stock setup already.

I did hook up and run both motors on my UM Mosquito. The ESC seemed to handle the 1.4 amp loads fine.
ChrisNYPilot is offline Find More Posts by ChrisNYPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:14 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
10,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNYPilot View Post
I didn't test the stock setup. The n30 with the 75mm prop pulled 1.4 amps. The 12x30mm motor pulled .75 amps with the 75mm prop, and pulled 1.3 amps with the Champ prop. The thrust in both cases seemed slightly less than what you get from the stock setup.

I will say the N30 seems like a powerful motor, with the right gearing and a bigger prop it probably would be a nice upgrade.

I did order an n40 motor from the same manufacturer which is slightly lower RPM. My hope is that I can run the stock Champ prop on this and still keep the Amps low. But honestly, my enthusiasm for the tinkering is fading. I was pretty happy with the stock setup already.
Cool, thank you. Very nice job with the measurements.

I'm surprised, actually, because while digging for research on another scratchbuild project I have on the table (stalled out) I had found information that the ESC on the Champ brick was rated for 0.8A, and the AR6400 boards like in the UM P-51 were rated at 1.6A. So if you're pulling 1.4A with the N30 motor, either the ratings were wrong, the brick is more robust than it seems, or your test times weren't long enough to fry anything. Did you check the VR and the FETs to see if they were excessively hot?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:24 PM
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Cool, thank you. Very nice job with the measurements.

I'm surprised, actually, because while digging for research on another scratchbuild project I have on the table (stalled out) I had found information that the ESC on the Champ brick was rated for 0.8A, and the AR6400 boards like in the UM P-51 were rated at 1.6A. So if you're pulling 1.4A with the N30 motor, either the ratings were wrong, the brick is more robust than it seems, or your test times weren't long enough to fry anything. Did you check the VR and the FETs to see if they were excessively hot?
The runs were not long, maybe 10 seconds full at a time. I really was testing to see if the plane could hold itself up in the air vertically, which for the weight of the UM Mosquito would have been about 53 grams of thrust. I didn't have the plane apart during the tests, so I don't really know if things became hot. I can say that there was no smoke. lol.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
The champ motors are the ones with the white plastic on the endbell. The P-51 motor is the one with the black plastic endbell. MOST of these micros are using one of these 2 motors, even if they have different part numbers or different length wires. the black one is a bit stronger and draws about 1.5 amps, where the white one draws just under 1 amp
This is the post that me comfortable trying it out. If people were using the mustang motors on the Champ at 1.5 amps then I figured I would be "ok". Some people reported brown outs, but no post I found reported fried ESC's.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
some good sales

https://secure.hobbyzone.com/foamwarbirds/

https://secure.hobbyzone.com/megamicro/