HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2014, 06:52 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
417 Posts
Installed Freewing P-51 sound module plus MrRCsound Transducer. Great flight! Finally started loving my P-40!
FMS P-40 1400mm Part 1 (3 min 1 sec)

FMS P40 1400mm Part 2 (2 min 21 sec)
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; Dec 05, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2014, 07:25 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,699 Posts
did not know the two systems coule be combined
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Dec 05, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
did not know the two systems coule be combined
The MRCS transducer just needs input; FW sound system has the amplifier and sound module, so easy combination. I just soldered a JST connector to the transducer to connect with the amplifier. The $20 transducer is about over four times as efficient as the twin speakers from FW system, if you CA it at the right spot.
I CAed the transducer at the right side of the fuse (right above the wing root). I suspect the sweeter spot for gluing the transducer is the rear fuse, since most of FMS warbirds has hollow rear fuse, seemingly a better place.
Old Dec 05, 2014, 08:46 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,699 Posts
Thanks Edwen
Do you think they can go in the cowl if the cowl is subject to wing passing thru ?
Thanks
Old Dec 05, 2014, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
417 Posts
I guess the more area of connected sheet of foam, the better result. I suspect the cowl is too thick foam. If I were to experiment on that, I would cut open the front fuse open, install the transducer, then glue the foam back. I did something similar to my Corsair.
When I installed transducer to my FMS Corsair (an earlier version, no tail retract), I cut the bottom of rear fuse (near the wing root) open and CAed the transducer, then glued back the cutoff piece, kinda surgical procedure.

The transducer weighs an ounce or so, drawing very low amps with 3s power setup. You might want to install two of these transducers since FW sound amplifier has two channels (stereo sound, one for right and other for left side). Make sure put the canopy on the fuse before you throttle up; it is going to be VERY VERY loud , perhaps over 100 dB within a meter.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 03:59 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,504 Posts
There on sale at Motion
http://www.motionrc.com/fms-p-40-war...ngspan-pnp-sd/
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:29 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,699 Posts
Do you guys know if the sound system can be powered by a separate power source vs the flight pack?
I would like to use this on my 79" P40 but I am at the max amount of power drian thru the system so I would prefer to use a separate pack .
I asked this question to motion but did not receive a responce
Old Jan 11, 2015, 09:33 AM
Love To Fly
United States, TN, Dandridge
Joined Mar 2013
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Do you guys know if the sound system can be powered by a separate power source vs the flight pack?
I would like to use this on my 79" P40 but I am at the max amount of power drian thru the system so I would prefer to use a separate pack .
I asked this question to motion but did not receive a responce
Yes you can use a seperate power source that is not a issue
MAMBA2200 is online now Find More Posts by MAMBA2200
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:29 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,699 Posts
Thanks
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
Joined Nov 2014
66 Posts
FMS Retracts issue?

Hi,
I just completed the build of a 1400mm P-40, i have read older posts about issues with the P-40 retracts, is there still a problem? Do I need to take preemptive measures before I maiden.

thanks,
GJS
santanig5 is offline Find More Posts by santanig5
Old Today, 05:28 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
901 Posts
I would be very careful with the CG and upgrade the gear. Mine failed on the first take off and did a lot of damage to the plane. Keep in mind this was a take off where the gear failed. On a nicely manicured grass strip. Lots of information here on what gear upgrades work best. Nice flying plane when the problems are worked out.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Today, 05:57 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,699 Posts
Remember the P40 has never been upgraded by FMS so you have retracts with plastic non functional struts so how can u go wrong by upgrading ?
The problem is if your the leaste bit squeamish on making mods to an rc plane then don't read on .
Drops in are really non existent with retracts u new basics skills to tweak cut sand measure if you retro fit your gear .
If look at some of my various p40 mods from FMS to the 79"LX P40 they all have retract mods done and none of them are for the quick run and done , they take thought planing and execution before u cut !
The rest is easy and long term rewards are then yours