HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:20 PM
R U killing the kittens?
Chaos, UC
Joined Jun 2003
1,585 Posts
Phone Jack charger on/off switch

Could somebody point me in the direction to make a charger jack on/off switch for my plane.

I have some 1/4" jacks lying around just asking to be put in a foamie or two.

thanks-a-mundo in advance.
artmonster is offline Find More Posts by artmonster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:21 PM
R U killing the kittens?
Chaos, UC
Joined Jun 2003
1,585 Posts
do the jacks need to be mono or stereo?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:28 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,923 Posts
Go to California Sailplanes website-- he has instructions on how to do this with a parts list from Radio Shack!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:28 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
I've seen them available mail-order at Mouser Electronics, North County Flying Machines, and California Saiplanes. Got mine at NCFM.

Tricky little guy to solder, but its been working great even after many hard crashes. Be sure to use shrink wrap to keep the terminals under the switch from shorting in the event of a big ker-plunk! I even glued in a small piece of balsa to keep them separated.
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:57 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
612 Posts
Follow the instructions found at http://www.hollyday.com/ for easy to follow instructions on where to find and how to assemble cheat standard and micro switch/jacks.
glover is online now Find More Posts by glover
Old Sep 10, 2004, 02:34 PM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
I do have instructions on my site, but also I recommend higher quality parts than Radio Shack. Just my opinion...

Thanks

Steve
http://www.californiasailplanes.com
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:08 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
I agree with Steve (my apologies, I see you have instructions but don't sell them).

The Switchcraft jacks sold by Mouser and NCFM are built really well mechanically. No flimsy terminals, they are relatively stiff and hard to bend. You want that in this application.

You can download the datasheets at Switchcraft's website. The sub-mini jacks are rated for 5,000 insertion cycles. My Moth will never last that long!
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:16 PM
R U killing the kittens?
Chaos, UC
Joined Jun 2003
1,585 Posts
Sweet thanks !

I sure do learn a lot in this forum.......
Old Sep 10, 2004, 04:01 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
NFCM Blackjacks

I bought two from Derek when I was in Carlsbad a few weeks ago.

I installed one in the Moth and just installed the other in my new Ki-61.

- On the Moth, the install went easy except for the soldering of the plug (male portion), where those terminals are so close together, and they warn you to be careful not to inadvertently melt the plastic separator. Yesterday, I noticed that after several insertions/removals, I had broken off one of the wires. I highly recommend that you use shrink tubing OUTSIDE of the wires and hood, so you won't make the same dumb mistake I did - grabbing the wires to pull the plug out.

- On the Ki-61, I thought everything went fine, until one day I noticed that the plane's battery was dead. I tried to charge it, but it didn't work. I pulled the pigtail from the Moth, used it on the Ki-61, and the charge went perfectly. Then, as an experiment, I inserted the Ki-61's pigtail into the Moth and smoke immediately started coming out - OUCH! I de-soldered that plug from the pigtail knowing that I must have melted that little piece of plastic. I went out to Radio Shack and bought a new package of 3/32 plugs, and guess what - the terminals inside the hood are spaced really far apart so you cannot easily bridge the solder across (like I did with the Blackjack plug for the Ki-61).

Now all I have to do is fix my Moth pigtail and then put outer shrink tubing on both pigtails and all should be fine.

Bottom line: I think the switchjack is an excellent component for any slope plane. I think it helps so much to avoid the inadvertent bumping of the on-off switch, and it cleans up the situation where you open a panel, pull out the connectors and disconnect them to turn off the plane. I think they are well worth the money.

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Last edited by webguyjv; Sep 10, 2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 04:32 PM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
www.shredair.com has the original Holiday switchjacks. I'm a beliver in them, I've had 8 or so of them, zero failures.
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods
Old Sep 10, 2004, 04:57 PM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
do not use stereo jacks, get the ones made for dc power with a minimum rating of 5 amps, also I believe the Switchcraft website tells who carries there products, I found them at the local electronics store. and you guys that are melting things, if you tin both sides of what you are soldering, when making the final connection you should only have to touch the iron to it for no more than 2 seconds or less. Good luck and keep em airborn.
jdcook54 is offline Find More Posts by jdcook54