HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2013
382 Posts
Discussion
lipos and fires

My biggest fear as a MR pilot is starting a fire due to the lipo(s) on my craft. I'm wondering how realistic or unrealistic this fear is ?
If my MR would crash in a forrest , how possible is it a branch could puncture a lipo and cause ignition ? Or if the craft was lost or unrecoverable, could the lipos swell and eventually combust ?

I'm prone to excessive caution sometimes so I'd like to hear other's opinions on this ?
Mintakax is offline Find More Posts by Mintakax
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Canada, ON, East Gwillimbury
Joined Sep 2014
145 Posts
The likelihood of one just igniting during regular flight is pretty low. Unless it's being overworked extremely hard, they are usually safe.

But they can overheat and de-solder themselves, causing a short. Or a puncture will cause it to fail almost instantly too. If you crash your craft and the battery stays plugged in, it will drain the cells down too low and it will puff, but (in my experience of killing lipos) the less voltage that's in them, the less effect they have when they fail.
jp0160 is offline Find More Posts by jp0160
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,422 Posts
It is possible to have the Lipo combust into a fire on a bad crash. But it is very unlikely.
In my 19 years flying I have seen it happen only one time.
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,422 Posts
You are much more likely to see a Lipo fire from doing something wrong charging your batteries.
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2013
4,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA View Post
You are much more likely to see a Lipo fire from doing something wrong charging your batteries.
Agreed! By far the most common case seems to be: user error on charging (e.g., setting the charger for a different battery and forgetting to change it back).

I'm never worried about my lipos during flight. But I'm worried about charging, and long-term storage, so I try to take precautions for both (charging in a cast iron basin, storing in a large, covered ceramic flower pot on concrete.
ElGuano is offline Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,279 Posts
Hi mate i go a long with that,i had a big 600mm quad come down from 100 feet the quad was a total loss, had to dig it up it hit so hard but battery was fine well i am still using it and its a 18 months old now
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2013
382 Posts
Thanks ! I charge in lipo bags and am conscientious during charging and store my lipos in ammo cases, but it's the crash/forrest-fire scenario that scares me. It sounds like I may be overly concerned.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Nov 2013
168 Posts
Wrong forum section. Pages and pages written in the right section. Makes no difference how you crash i.e. in a Quad, Plane, Heli, Car or Boat.

Battery questions should go in the battery section.

You will find the right info with more details.
jkflow is offline Find More Posts by jkflow
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2014
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkflow View Post
Wrong forum section. Pages and pages written in the right section. Makes no difference how you crash i.e. in a Quad, Plane, Heli, Car or Boat.

bla bla bla
z28_ta is offline Find More Posts by z28_ta
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Joined Sep 2013
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkflow View Post

Nope. Pretty sure boats and cars don't crash or get lost in forrests