SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:49 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Interesting calculations. Your estimate of 15A for average current is pretty close. I noted that I was getting about 6 minutes flying time on 1200 mAh, which comes to 12A. But that included brief periods of taxiing and other low current activities.

The regular Polaris at about 2/3 the weight uses about 10A when cruising.

Also interesting comments on wires. The Ultra seems to do fine on 20 gauge.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 07, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:14 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Some more flying in falling snow with the Ultra, which now has its decals and cowling installed.

The only problem I encountered was some binding in the aileron linkage due to the connectors being too tight on the aileron servo arms. It made centering imprecise. Easily fixed.

I think I shall have to paint the nose black (like a radome) so it doesn't blend with the snow.

Polaris Ultra More Snow 2013-01-06 (2 min 11 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:35 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
Nice! I had to turn the heat on to watch it!
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Build Tip

Here's a build tip you may want to consider --

Don't install the wings until the very last step of the build process rather than at the first step. The fuselage is so much easier to handle without the wings attached. It was very easy to get to the inside of the fuselage to install the servos and the receiver and the ESC without having to fight the wings every time I wanted to turn the fuselage around or over. It was also easier to install the decals before the wings were attached.

Now that I'm finished with the build and ready for the maiden, Texas weather is taking a turn for the worse. Hope to get my Ultra flying on Thursday.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:48 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Nice Daedalus, the cowl and decals make all the difference. A black nose section wouldn't look bad either.

Good tip Kingsflyer I'll bare that in mind if I ever get one.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:04 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
793 Posts
I got to watch my friend, Bluebird, maiden his Ultra yesterday and it did great! We hand launched it a couple of times and then he did rise-off-grass take-offs after that. I think he used a 3520 motor and it had plenty of power for this plane. It is noticeable larger than my Depron kit and it heavier but the wing shape and extra power make it a terrific flier.

I realized I was flying mine with the CG too far forward, maybe 3/4" in front of the step, but the closer to the step I balance it, the better it flies.

Wonderful kit; thanks!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:13 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
I got to watch my friend, Bluebird, maiden his Ultra yesterday and it did great! We hand launched it a couple of times and then he did rise-off-grass take-offs after that. I think he used a 3520 motor and it had plenty of power for this plane. It is noticeable larger than my Depron kit and it heavier but the wing shape and extra power make it a terrific flier.

I realized I was flying mine with the CG too far forward, maybe 3/4" in front of the step, but the closer to the step I balance it, the better it flies.

Wonderful kit; thanks!

Don
Thanks for the flight report Don.

I must say it's never occurred to me to hand launch a Polaris. I've seen so many things go wrong on hand launches over the years and the grass takeoff is so much nicer.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:41 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
+1 it would have to be some pretty extreme circumstances for me to consider hand launching a Polaris. It's just not what it's about.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:30 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
+1 it would have to be some pretty extreme circumstances for me to consider hand launching a Polaris. It's just not what it's about.
The place we were flying has a paved road, lots of fields with knee-high weeds, and a narrow track where some service vehicles might have beaten down the weeds. It was just barely wide enough for him to land (he is a better, braver pilot than I) so we hand launched it the first two times till he got his confidence up.

You are right tho, the plane needed a few clicks of UP and I tossed it just about level so it was scraping the tops of the weeds before it climbed out safely. Whew! It was a pucker moment to be sure but the plane is very strong and it just powered away from the vegetation.

This really is one of the premier designs out there right now.Thanks for making the kit available. I am still flying the Model Aero Depron version but I can see an Ultra in my future.

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:02 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
I am still flying the Model Aero Depron version but I can see an Ultra in my future.
Stop grinning Scott!!!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:23 PM
charlotte, nc
Joined Sep 2003
202 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday and love it. Took off from the grass, no problem using a HK 3530-1000 on 4 cells. I did a static test which showed about 22 amps and 330 watts. The motor was cool after flights.

The 4 cell 2200 made the CG a little forward which tended to drop the nose in turns. I did some cutting and moved the battery back to put the CG over the step. No more nose drop. I still want to move the CG back a little because of all the up trim needed.
There is a noticable lack of response to up elevator when nose heavy.

I have a 2810-9 motor and some new batteries on the way.

Here is the motor data.

Joe
bluebird is offline Find More Posts by bluebird
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:26 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
I maidened mine yesterday and love it. Took off from the grass, no problem using a HK 3530-1000 on 4 cells. I did a static test which showed about 22 amps and 330 watts. The motor was cool after flights.

The 4 cell 2200 made the CG a little forward which tended to drop the nose in turns. I did some cutting and moved the battery back to put the CG over the step. No more nose drop. I still want to move the CG back a little because of all the up trim needed.
There is a noticable lack of response to up elevator when nose heavy.

I have a 2810-9 motor and some new batteries on the way.

Here is the motor data.

Joe
Great Joe!
Now, put it away until Joe Nall or SEFF so we can fly together!
gatorb8 is online now Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:43 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post

Joe
It definitely flies best with the CG on the step or slightly behind (1/4").
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:54 PM
charlotte, nc
Joined Sep 2003
202 Posts
Jerry,

I have a little more waterproofing to do before it is ready for water takeoff. I dipped the servos in liquid electrical tape and added a small o-ring and dab of grease under the servo arm. The reciever is in a light weight plastic tube. The esc has the ends of the shrink wrap sealed with silicone and the esc is suspended in the middle of the fuse. The only thing i did different was to mount the elevator servo under the horizontal stabalizer. It is hard to see under there and can be easily replaced by removing two screws. I liked the idea of hiding it inside the nacelle, but i did not like the idea of replacing it if it got shorted out after flipping over. All I left to do is seal off the plastic tube.

I will be getting a 1500 KV motor (2810-9),I will let you know how it compares to the 300 some watts of the 3530-1100. The problem with the 3530-1100 that i have is that it is made from parts from several motors that i had on hand. It is loud and rough.

I did put the little base loaded antenna of the Hitec optima 7 reciever sticking out the top of the fuse. I had a bad experience at E-week with a spektrum antenna laying on the floor of the micro polaris. I switched to a Hitec system after problems at SEFF.
bluebird is offline Find More Posts by bluebird
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:07 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,205 Posts
I hope you used a silcone designed for electronics as normal silicone sealant is acidic and ca, over time, damage electronics...
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas