HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Jul 2012
52 Posts
Yippee!
Getting new RC

Well, I am getting a new RC.$300 budget, $250 and below is better.I would be able to spend more, but my wife doesnt want me to spend more than $300.So, a $300 rc and I can buy upgrades like the next week.BTW, I am a complete newb.Now, I want a good all rounder.I have a big field that has a flat dirt track, so I will on that, I live in a cull-de-sac, so asphalt to drive on, and I live by a state park that I go to every month or so.So, I want to rock crawl fine, be able to drive on a track fine, and go on asphalt fine, and go thru trails fine.So, I want:Go on terrain on I listed, Take a beating without breaking parts, be RTR (fine with a kit, but it needs to be a $150 kit at the most), and not require tuning in the springs, etc (I can replace springs, etc, just dont wanna tune them, I dont even know what a diff is), and under $300.I want a 4X4 to, unless you think its not needed. I can always upgrade stuff, but not the 2WD, so if I loose a brushless, etc for a 4X4, its okay.
byteninja2 is offline Find More Posts by byteninja2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:16 AM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
United States, WA, University Place
Joined Jul 2012
221 Posts
The Traxxas Summit 1/10 is your best bet for what you wanted to do. I know its more than you said you can spend but its the only car that can do everything you asked. Maybe pull some strings?
resonatortune is offline Find More Posts by resonatortune
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
52 Posts
Eeeks, $600!?that wont happen, Lol, I am pulling strings for $300.Scratch rock crawling, I dont really rock crawl.How about the HPI Slash XS Flux 4X4 Brushless?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:52 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
HPI is a good solid brand, as well as Traxxas. The traxxas stampede is good for any terrain, but the traxxas rustler is good for a track as well as on the road. If you're not driving to much in really high grass I think the rustler would be perfect. the brushed version is $210 and brushless is $340, but I'm sure you could get a used rustler vxl for less than $300 with upgrades already.
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:56 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Keep in mind the Slash XS is pretty small, so the size of stuff it can drive over is smaller than a 1/0th scale truck.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
52 Posts
Its fine that the slash xs is small, I have saw it. How about the Duratrax Evader EXT2 RTR? Does it use a propiatary tire system, and will it handle a brushless? Any 4x4 conversion for it?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:48 PM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
Joined Jul 2012
221 Posts
I would stay stick with the main brands or you wont have as much fun but with your price cap you might get something you wont enjoy because it will keep breaking.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:42 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
There's no 4x4 conversion for pretty much any 2wd truck out there, the difference in drivetrains is usually 100% different, including the chassis. The only one I can think of that's an easy conversion is the mini grave digger, which is a mini revo minus the front driveshaft, diff, cvd's and front axles.

Duratrax sells a brushless version of the Evader as well if you think you want brushless right away.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:41 AM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
Why by new if your starting out in rc. Go used first. Theres TONS of rc drivers out there who need to feed there families and selling their rc left and right dirt cheap on ebay. Another good source for used is Craigslist.com. Those on there don't want to loose funds due to paypal or shipping charges to buyers. Also check with your local hobby shop. Many bring in there rc to sell or see if anyone they know is looking for one. Just my 2 cents, go used first and see if you like it...............................................

Toby
Toby Warren is offline Find More Posts by Toby Warren
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
52 Posts
Well, I know I like RC's, if thats what you meant.I noticed on most of the RC's I want are like $30 to $60 cheaper, and thats not worth it to me.I think I want the Rustler XL 5 with Pro line Dirt works tires.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:29 AM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
Joined Jul 2012
221 Posts
That sounds good. Hope you enjoy it!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:53 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Yeah, that's a good first car. I think you will enjoy it. If you end up buying a second car, I would highly recommend getting a brushless one. The difference is crazy The proline tires are great as well. I'm running proline dirthawgs in the rear of my rustler xl-5 and they are way better than the stock rears.
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
52 Posts
My next RC will most likley be $600+, so I am getting a rustler to prove im into RC's.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Jul 2012
52 Posts
New question:What is the best begginer hobbyist RC for all terain, 4wd, is tough, and under $300?Oh, and I have somebody I can race with now, so something that is all terain and races would be good.The savage xs flux I hear isnt a good newbies truck, so its a no on that.
Last edited by byteninja2; Aug 05, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:49 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byteninja2 View Post
New question:What is the best begginer hobbyist RC for all terain, 4wd, is tough, and under $300?Oh, and I have somebody I can race with now, so something that is all terain and races would be good.The savage xs flux I hear isnt a good newbies truck, so its a no on that.
I've been at this stuff for over twenty years I haven't found the best Car or Truck for anything I have found a lot of vehicles that do certain things well. The key to any type of car or truck is parts support and finding the type that will do what it is designed to do. Racing is expensive some types of trucks/cars are made for a track. Some will do pretty good to bash in the back yard but really shine at a race. Others are pretty good on the track but are a blast to bash in the woods somewhere. There is always a compromise. I stick with the major brands I try to recommend brands I have in my shop now or have had in the past. I think the HPI would do fine Traxxas Revo or Slash would be good. I would look hard at the used market. You can find many after market parts and stock parts to fix it up or upgrade it. See what the locals are using. If you are new to this I wouldn't blow your whole budget on the truck alone. You will still need tools and a good charger and batteries or fuel if you go the nitro route. I have seen used Traxxas trucks for under $100.00.
There are so many good trucks to choose from these day's its hard to know where to start. I hope this helps
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure