HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Discussion
Decriminalize Drugs, Cut Drug Use In Half

Well surprise, surprise. It really works.....

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...rtugal-addicts
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
315 Posts
No Surprise.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Stop treating drugs as a crime and more as an addiction. You'll get better results, less crime, less people in jail and save a crap load of money being spent by the government.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I agree the current approach isn't working. With the confiscation laws authorized during Reagan's tenure, police departments are so heavily reliant on auctioning contraband seized during drug busts, to include cash and homes, that many of their budgets would be affected severely by decriminalization. So don't expect it to happen any time soon.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91490480
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
I agree the current approach isn't working. With the confiscation laws authorized during Reagan's tenure, police departments are so heavily reliant on auctioning contraband seized during drug busts, to include cash and homes, that many of their budgets would be affected severely by decriminalization. So don't expect it to happen any time soon.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91490480
Dear diary,

Today I agreed with thunder.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:13 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,756 Posts
I just recently watch a TV program [dont recall the name ] in reference to northern CA. pot growers.
I couldnt believe my ears when they spoke about guys having 20 plants at 5k a piece in their back yards. Moments later they talked about the crimes taking place and crops raided .

If it were at the very least legal to grow one plant per person I doubt that crime would exist.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
When you consider that America imprisons more of its citizens than Russia and China combined and that half of the American prisoners are convicted of drug crimes you have to start questioning our current laws and policies.

It costs about $50,000 a year to imprison someone and about $5,000 a year to send them to college.

I'm not sure America is ready to change its path and abandon the war on drugs but I'm sure Mexico is ready to stop the cash flow to their drug lords.
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:29 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
And where is the Tea Party on this issue?

The legalization of drugs is a key component of the Libertarian platform.
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_axe View Post
And where is the Tea Party on this issue?

The legalization of drugs is a key component of the Libertarian platform.
The Tea Party seems to be more focused on tax issues ... this truely is a Libertarian issue ...Dems and Repubs are unfortunately in lockstep on this one, which just proves that regardless of what they say ... they don't actually support ALL of your rights and freedoms ... just the ones they like.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:35 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Personal responsibility and accountability. If you do you pay
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,410 Posts
I'm interested to know what you guys would do to address the impact of more drug taking?

From what I can see, take drugs and keep it to yourself - fine, BUT it never seems to be like that! There's the addiction which no amount of money that you currently have seems to be enough - so the drive to take it from others, the (often) reduction in acceptable behaviour (driving, violence, failure to look after your responsibilities - like family, jobs etc).

Personally, as I suspect you can guess, I think drug taking and the dependency (including smoking, drinking!) is a loser occupation, and as I'm not a loser I don't do any - apart from a glass of wine once a week.
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
I'm interested to know what you guys would do to address the impact of more drug taking?

From what I can see, take drugs and keep it to yourself - fine, BUT it never seems to be like that! There's the addiction which no amount of money that you currently have seems to be enough - so the drive to take it from others, the (often) reduction in acceptable behaviour (driving, violence, failure to look after your responsibilities - like family, jobs etc).

Personally, as I suspect you can guess, I think drug taking and the dependency (including smoking, drinking!) is a loser occupation, and as I'm not a loser I don't do any - apart from a glass of wine once a week.
You would address it the same way you'd address any other addiction. It would simply no longer be criminalized.

Consumption would of course be controlled in the same manner as alcohol.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Some years back, I had a conversation with an knowledgable person about defects in our justice system. He said that it would never be changed, because so many people make their living off it. I am afraid there is some truth in that. If we decriminalized drugs, a number of private prisons would go bankrupt, for example.

We didn't learn a thing from prohibition. Prohibition funded the rise of organized crime, nearly bankrupted the government from loss of liquor tax revenue, created a generation of scofflaws, and ruined the lives of a fair number of people with bad liquor.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,756 Posts
I dont think pot is a gateway drug but I do know its much harder to conceal than much harder more harmful drugs . I think if pot was legal hard drug use would go down.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
You would address it the same way you'd address any other addiction. It would simply no longer be criminalized.

Consumption would of course be controlled in the same manner as alcohol.
But that doesn't address the (possible?) increase in addicts, who might be turning to illegal activities to pay for their addiction, as addicts (of any variety) have a tendency to do!

I was interested in if people thought that an increase in addict related crime would occur, and if it then was simply adequate to have the normal law enforcement actions handle it, or whether you guys perhaps thought that the current drug proscription was in itself lessening that particular area of crime - or not.
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam